“Room canceled two weeks prior to stay”
Review of Hotel 99

Hotel 99
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Room canceled two weeks prior to stay”
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I booked this hotel about 4 weeks ago for a weekend in NY. Two weeks before the date of arrival I got an email from the hotel stating they canceled my booking. In fact it said that all bookings for May and onwards were canceled. Luckily my stay was still 2 weeks away, but for those who had booked for the beginning of may: horrible! The cancelation had something to do with a new law, but nothing was specified. I phoned the hotel to ask for an explanation, which remained rather vague. The owner was friendly and all and new laws might not be in his hands, however, that doesn't make it OK to cancel bookings without providing another hotel option in a similar price range with free rooms. A law is generally not issued from one day to another, so they should have known.

I was looking very much forward to staying at hotel99 after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, so was pretty bummed and stressed when I got the email. The hotel I got now on short notice is about 100$ more expensive for 3 nights, money that I had rather spend on other things when in NY. However when looking back in time into the reviews, I found a similar cancellation action back in 2009. This is thus not the first time the hotel has canceled bookings just like that, therefore beware when you book this!

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LoveTraveling00
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Glasgow
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I was so impressed with Hotel 99. From the very start and throughout our stay the staff were friendly, chatty and very helpful, providing us with a list of local restaurants and bars.
The entire hotel was very clean, especially the shared bathrooms, not a stray hair in sight! Yes the rooms are on the smaller side but as its been said before, in New York you really only want a bed to sleep in!
Our only complaints would be the boiler problem which led to one day having a cold shower, however it was fixed the following day, and they took some money off our bill for this. The other issue they couldn't really do much about, but we had several mosquitos (or similar biting flying insect- definitely NOT bed-bugs) in our room, and had to buy bug repellent. But they were only minor complaints.
As I said myself and my sister were both really happy with hotel, excellent location to explore the upper west side, and not too far away from all the attractions of mid town.
Nearby recommendations would be Regional, an Itailian restaurant on Broadway between 98th/99th. Food was amazing, best cheese ravioli I've ever had, and they do cheap deals on a Monday. Also Sara Beth's on Amsterdam and 80th, few blocks walk but fantasic for bruch and outdoor seating.
Another major plus is the hotel provides free wi-fi, at many other more expensive hotels you have to pay for this.
I could go on and on..... but simply for a reasonably priced hotel that is reassuringly clean and well located you cant go wrong with Hotel 99.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 6 May 2011

It's clean, neat, affordable, very well located (next to the subway), the staff is nice, it offers free high speed internet. Only the room is a bit small and the bed takes up almost the entire space. But apart from that, it's Very good deal !!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank inseglet
Finland
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I stayed here for a week with a friend. First night we had a really small room next to a bathroom. People were going there throughout the night and we could here everything happening there plus noice from the banging doors in the corridor was really loud even with ear plugs. Next morning we asked if it would be possible to change the room further away from the bathroom. The staff gave us a really nice room at the end of corridor facing Broadway which was huge compared to the other room.

We were really satisfied with the new room - however, if I had stayed in one of the smaller rooms I probably wouldn't give so positive feedback about the hotel. The big room had a place to put your clothes on (smaller one didn't) and there was lots of space for luggages and a table + chair which was nice extra. The sounds from the corridor were not as bad as in the other room. Noice from the street is quite loud but it's ok with ear plugs. During the first nights it was a bit cold in the room in the evening before the heater was turned on. At the end of our stay on the contrary it was a bit too hot as the temperature in the daytime was quite high unlike in the beginning of our holiday.

Beds were really comfortable as well as the pillows and there were no bed bugs. There are not enough shared bathrooms so sometimes you have to wait to get in but most of the time you can find an empty bathroom from another corridor or from another floor. Shared bathrooms were quite clean. One morning the hotel had a problem with a boiler so there wasn't any hot water. It was fixed during the same day however.

The staff was really friendly and helpful. Location of the hotel is good - there is a subway station nearby from where you can easily reach whole Manhattan (it takes about 10 minutes to Midtown / Times Square). Also there's a bus stop right next to the hotel. Central Park is 10 minutes walk away as well as big supermarkets and there are restaurants and cafés everywhere where you can find e.g. nice breakfast. Metro Diner which is really close to the hotel has good breakfast but we were cheated when we got the bill - charged about 10 dollars extra. We got our money back when we complained about it after first leaving the restaurant but I wouldn't go there again since it wasn't an accident but they did it on purpose.

Great restaurants near the hotel: www.zenpalate.com and www.josiesnyc.com/josie_west/josie_west.html (you have to go by metro but it's still close enough)

Room Tip: Get room number 05 (regardless of the floor)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mymmeli
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I stayed at Hotel 99 in March and April and had a great experience. The staff is friendly, the hotel was clean. The 96th Street subway station in an express stop (great time saver). deli's and resturaunts abound in the area. We stayed in rooms with baths and with teh bath down the hall. No problem either time. We did have to ask for washcloths, however, during both stays. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Sadly, during my last stay the staff shared they had been told that day (April 30, 2011) that the hotel would be closing on Sunday, May1. No one had any idea why. They were hopeful that they would reopen soon. Luckily we were already scheduled to check out.

I would highly recommend this hotel (when they reopen).

Room Tip: rooms on 99th St. r quieter thn those on Broadway
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business