“Excellent in every way”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 14,211 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Within the hallowed walls of the Time-Life Building, and surrounded by some of the city’s most heralded attractions from Broadway to Radio City Music Hall, the imminent arrival of The Capital Grille is creating quite a stir of its own. Especially anticipated are our legendary dry-aged steaks, fresh seafood offerings, and a widely heralded collection of over 7,000 bottles of wine. All presented with unparalleled service in an atmosphere of relaxed elegance that serves as a respite to the frenetic pace of the streets outside.
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Went with a group of 25 for pre-show dinner on Broadway and was amazed at how quickly they could turn the group and still provide us with an excellent food and service experience. I highly recommend the Capital Grille's wine list also.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My date and I went here based on recommendations on tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed.

Bread: Onion, pumpernickel, matzo, poppy rolls (complimentary)
*The onion bread was amazing - real bits of grilled onion on the top. Great for dipping into entree juice/sauce.

Appetizer: Spinach salad ($10) (spinach, hard boiled egg, red onions, bacon bits, vinaigrette)
*This was amazing. Initially, I had ordered it, and when my date took a bite, he decided to order one as well. The vinaigrette was really tasty. It was unexpected to switch out traditional tomatoes of a spinach salad with hard boiled egg, but I thought it was quite lovely.

Entree: Delmonico "prime rib" ($43)
*Delmonico cuts are always quite good - lots of marbling (read: tasty fat!), plus the bone gives it extra flavor. Ordered medium rare, and it was cooked very well. Exactly the quality I would have expected.

Entree: Filet with lobster tail ($48)
*The two filet medallions were done very well, although I thought the searing could have been a bit more even all around, as I've had filet at other places of similar pricing that were maybe executed a tad better. Ordered medium rare, and the level of pink inside was adequate. The lobster portion was very generous (more than I expected) - pretty sure it was actually four tails, unless they did some sort of magic with the way it was sliced. It was cooked perfectly; not too chewy or tough. I thought the lobster was better than the filet. Over it all was a buttery cream sauce that was delightful (especially with the onion bread, as mentioned previously)

Side: Grilled asparagus with lemon butter ($11)
*The asparagus wasn't as plump as I would have liked, but the seasoning was acceptable. I thought it may have been over grilled a bit, to be honest, but I think this dish has a wide range of acceptable, so I'll just say that: it was acceptable.

Total bill for two without drinks but including tip ~$160. Overall, I thought it was very good; no notable deficiencies, and the meal lived up to what I expected for the price. I would have liked to try something on their EXTENSIVE wine list, but as my date and I had brunched fairly heavily earlier that afternoon, neither of us were feeling up to is. Another thing to note is that neither of us had their "dry, aged, rubbed" steaks that are supposedly their specialty (I believe they have it in only two formats - sirloin or porterhouse), despite the fact that it came recommended by our waiter.

1  Thank unepoire
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Visited this restaurant with my husband on 24th June 2012. A very positive experience. The atmosphere is lovely. Our waitress Naima was friendly, efficient and professional. Compliments to the chef - My husband said his steak was cooked perfectly and my salmon was the best I have ever had - it just melted in my mouth! The Manager Ivo visited us a couple of times and was friendly without being intrusive but what amazed me was that upon leaving he gave us his card stating that if we needed to book there again during our stay, or anywhere else, he would be only too pleased to arrange for us - I can confidently say you would be very unlikely to get that service in England! This restaurant is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Very knowledgeable waiter, fantastic wine selection and probably he best steak I have had anywhere!!!

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Capital Grille has the best of both... you can't go wrong with a great steak and a great martini! slightly dirty, extra olives please!