“Okay night's sleep; but shower has no pressure”

Comfort Inn Times Square West
Ranked #268 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The room had two queen beds, and not much space to move around; if four people stayed here, it would be a squeeze with just one chair and a tiny square table that serves as a sort-of desk. There's no other furniture.
There was a mid-size fridge with nothing in it; a surprising missed-revenue opportunity. They could stock it with $5 bottles of water.
The air conditioner was fully adjustable, and worked well, and wasn't too loud.
The WiFi was good and fast, and I used it a lot for work during prime evening hours around 9 PM.
The bed was comfortable.
I was on the 2nd floor at the 44th Street front, and I could hear every word spoken by people walking by, even with the air conditioner on. I used to live in Manhattan so this just seemed like a kind of urban babbling brook; folks from Nebraska probably would feel differently!
As a solo business traveller, I stood apart at the breakfast buffet among all the students and bargain-seekers.
Even so, the buffet was good and included a fresh waffle-maker which is pretty common at Comfort Inns across the U.S. but unusual in NYC.
The staff was friendly, and efficient.
My only complaint was that the shower had really poor pressure, which is surprising on the 2nd floor of a NYC hotel -- most hotels have a big water tank on the roof that ensures good pressure. However, I noticed one other recent TripAdvisor reviewer saying that his shower didn't work at all, and so he was forced to take a bath. So they clearly have a problem they need to fix.
The neighborhood includes the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and the 8th Ave/42nd Street subway. But this is an area that is constantly improving -- just around the corner you've got one of the BEST seafood restaurants in NYC -- Esca. Of course if your starting point is the 1970's timeframe, Hell's Kitchen had no place to go but up. But really, it's an okay area to walk around at night, now.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you stay on a low floor on the 44th street side, you will hear voices and even footsteps of passe...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank AmeriEuroMan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed a week in this hotel the location and staff was excellent! We enjoyed our stay and will recommend it highly. Breakfast everyday was a great bonus. Rooms were clean and neat

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Can't beat the location for the price. Central location and yet quiet. Room was teeny tiny but if you are expecting big and posh at this price, you are in the wrong city. Staff was generally friendly. However, before our stay we called to verify we could use Travelers Checks and cash them and were assured we could. When were stayed there suddenly the story changed and they would not take them. This caused a bad inconvenience. But, in the scheme of things, that is not a big thing. Breakfast was decent. At times it seemed like a youth hostel as a lot of young people would congregate in the small lobby and made it difficult to navigate. Again, at the price I paid, I was easily able to overlook this. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Sadly, my report to hotel management concerning bed bug bites I received during my stay were completely brushed off and mgmt insisted that the room had no bugs. Unfortunately, the bites on my shoulder tell a completely different story!

I checked into the hotel around 6pm and then departed for dinner with friends. I returned around 11pm and promptly went to sleep. At about 1am I awoke and felt an itch on my shoulder, which prompted me to get up and look in bathroom mirror, where I noticed the bed bugs bites all over my upper arm and shoulder. Naturally, I was upset but was exhausted and returned to bed. The next morning I tried to shower (it was broken, so opted for a bath instead) and promptly checked out to attend meetings.

I debated whether or not to contact the hotel for several days and ultimately decided that when you spend nearly $400 for a room it should be safe, clean, operational, and definitely bed bug free. I spoke with hotel management who assured me that they have never had a bed bug problem and insisted that they checked the room where I stayed and did not find any traces of bugs. This was laughable. I’ve researched a little on these bed bugs and discovered that they are extremely tiny and nocturnal. Mgmt said they would inspect the room again and call me back. They never did. I suspect many other hotel guests have been victims as well and simply don’t know that the bites they’ve experienced are bed bugs.

I’m not crazy or delusional about what happened. My shoulder was dinner for bed bugs at the Comfort Inn and management refuses to acknowledge the problem. This is very disconcerting. I certainly hope they address the problem but I can never feel comfortable recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank R W
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Very good hotel. Excelent location, 650 meters from timesquare. 1 block from the Phantom of the Opera Theater. Friendly staff. Me and my mother got very early in NYC, we went to the hotel and they let us make the check-in. Nice room. Breakfast acceptable. I recommend and that is my choice when I come back to NYC. Good price aswell.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family