“Sumptuous Steak”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visited whilst on a trip to New York, was nearly put off but other poor reviews but have to say the food was spot on and the service from all the staff was very welcoming and friendly. Not cheap but nice venue which is clean and atmospheric.

2  Thank AdeCous

Reviewed 4 April 2018

This restaurant has moved to a new location since we were last here in 2011. The venue is nicer but I did find the backs of the booths to be too upright and hard.

The service was prompt and attentive. We ordered the petit filet and the bone-in ribeye. We ordered rare and they came a little on the medium rare side but acceptable. The flavor and texture were good but not as top notch as some other steakhouses in NYC. The bread tasted stale and the garlic mashed potatoes were so so.

All in all, a good experience but we will experiment with other venues next time we are looking for steak.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

My friend and I were in NY to see a play and decided to go to Frankie and Johnnie's since she was in the mood for steak. We both ordered the steak and I made it a point to tell the waiter that I wanted it well done--no blood oozing on to the plate. The waiter brought the food and then took off never to be seen until he brought us our desserts. My steak was the rarest I have ever seen. Since we couldn't find any waitstaff, I ended up eating the awful steak. She did not like her steak either. The broccoli was bland and the potatoes were also. My apple strudel dessert was hard and nearly flavorless except for the cinnamon. The bill was high, so I would expect better food and service. I cannot recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank treeface
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Basically, the food here is awful and the service is overbearing. My husband had corn soup that was so sweet it made you cringe and I had a “Caesar salad” that was diner level run of the mill, dressing out of a package, terrible. Then my husband had NY strip steak and I had pork chops. The meat looked nice but who could tell - it was so heavily salted that you couldn’t taste the meat at all. The apple strudel - not homemade - had so much cinnamon on it that it was inedible. Well - it wouldn’t have been any better without the cinnamon to tell you the truth. The waiters kept wanting to take our plates away - even though there was still food on them. We were polite but it became annoying. We ordered one glass of wine and then looked it up online because it seemed expensive. We paid $18 for one glass - and you can purchase an entire bottle for that price. There’s always a markup at restaurants for sure but that seems excessive. The prices all around are super steep and the food is served on diner style china. There are other terrific restaurants in the theater district so we won’t be going back here. Ever.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I visited this steakhouse during restaurant week which also happened to coincide with my birthday. We were greeted right away and taken to our seats promptly. The restaurant is not that large which gave it a nice cozy and warm atmosphere. We ordered the surf and turf and the steak was so tender and delicious. The dessert of apple pie and vanilla was also tasty. Our server was also very attentive and nice. I will be returning to this restaurant in the near future