“W - Downtown, great location and great hotel”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #248 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The W - downtown was wonderful. Located right across from the 9/11 memorial and a 10 minute walk from the Statue of Liberty/Battery Park. The staff was beyond friendly and helpful. Attending to our every need and answering the million questions a tourist like me has. =] We got what was called a wonderful room. It was perfect! The bed was beyond comfortable and the room was quite.

• Stayed: March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

As a frequent traveler for work and business, I have stayed at many W hotels. This one was, by far, the most disappointing experience. While the location is ideal for a business trip, it is hard to get to because of the construction surrounding Ground Zero. The hotel is trendy, but not in a good way. There is only one restaurant (if it can be called that) at the ground floor and another bar in the 5th floor lobby, which during my stay, was always unavailable in the afternoons due to private bookings.

The rooms are not exceptional and small. You sacrifice a lot for the name and for the price, there are far better hotels in New York. My advice: give it a shot if you are adventurous and/or want something right by Wall Street, but otherwise, seek a nicer hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing South have a good view and are often quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank apocalypse10k
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our ideal location. I apologize about your recent challenges with our location being near the World Trade Center Memorial Project Re-Birth Construction site. On your next escape, I encourage you to reach out to me directly to ensure flawlessness in your experience. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Best Personal Regards,
Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2012

A relatively new hotel directly across the street from WTC site. Several blocks from Wall Street and Battery Park. We stayed for 5 days and were thoroughly delighted by the location, staff and overall cleanliness of the place. Nicole ( Concierge) was great and very helpful in info and getting us passes to the WTC. Melanie ( front desk) could not have been more pleasant. Steve ( lobby) provided unsolicited mini-tour explanation of hotel and WTC history. Ray ( front lobby) does a spectacular job in shining and polishing and exhibits a super pride in his work and workplace. Zemina ( housekeeper) was excellent and took pride in her job.
Location is good for downtown and easy walk to all we wanted. Subway just a few feet away around the corner. Two blocks off Broadway and shopping close by. Several good deli's and a nice Asian / Sushi restaurant just around the corner. Will certainly return when in downtown NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor room and on other side of WTC to prevent construction noise. Lobby is a meetin...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My first stay in downtown NYC after 20+ trips. Not an exciting location on the weekend but easy access to more interesting neighborhoods to the north. I suppose many travelers will be interested in the WTC location; I'm not one of them. The construction mess, security zone atmosphere and hordes of gawkers are not for me.

The hotel itself is nice. Room was stylish and modern but on the small side as is often the case with the W. Seemed larger than Lexington or Union Square properties, though. Good value in terms of rate.

The onsite restaurant (BLT) is really good with very friendly staff. It's worth visiting. Front desk is polite and efficient. Only complaint re: staff is in Living Room bar. Extremely slow service with a definite attitude. Maybe it's all the WTC visitors milling about.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your most recent experience with us. You’ve made some very valid points which we certainly appreciate. On your next escape, please reach out to me directly. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at GMWolfgang.Wehen@whotels.com.

Best Personal Regards,
Wolfgang Wehen – General Manager

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I booked a room on Hotwire at the W Downtown for two nights while in NYC on business. The location was great as I needed to be close to Wall Street. Very clean rooms and efficient service makes this hotel stand out. The downside is, having booked the room through Hotwire, I felt I was not treated as well as I would have been if I would have paid full price. I had a room with two double beds overlooking Ground Zero. I asked for a king on the other side of the building away from the construction but was told there was nothing available without the staff even checking. I guess at the lower price I should have been apply with what I was given. Great restaurant on the property and an outside bar does make this a fabulous property.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business