“Facilities nice, reservation management needs improvement”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #43 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
NY
“Facilities nice, reservation management needs improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I am a Kimpton fan, and found this hotel, overall, in keeping with the brand's image and execution. However, they mucked up my reservation pretty good, caused significant inconvenience, and then mucked up their apology. Net, a lot of muck ups.

I extended my reservation by one day, the reservations agent assured me that this would be included in my original reservation, no need to change rooms or check out and re-check in. When I checked in, they had the right dates, everything seemed fine. I returned to my room to get materials for a meeting and found I was locked out (because they did NOT extend the reservation as promised and as indicated when I checked in). The ensuing chaos resulted in my being hugely late for a meeting. They attempted to compensate by giving me extra coupons to use with the minibar, but then wouldn't honor them (you can only use 1 per stay!). When I brought this up to the front desk staff, they said there was nothing they could do.

Really disappointing. Not sure I'll stay at this Kimpton again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa S
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
NyBesa,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Sorry to read that your reservation extension process wasn't as smooth as it should have been and I assure you we will all try harder to ensure this type of concern doesn't happen in the future.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is my sixth stay at a Kimpton property. I am hooked. Their hotels are always hip and well run. The Eventi is no different, very clean, well designed and friendly. I did have an issue with this Kimpton property. In all of my my other Kimpton Stays (San Fran, Boston, San Diego) I was always made to feel that the guest was the most important thing in the hotel. I did not get this feeling at the Eventi. At the Eventi, Corporate events come first. In San Fran, the wine reception was the more important event at the hotel from 5-6. Huge seating area and great staff. The same in San Diego, seating for 75. I stayed at the Eventi for five nights and the wine reception was crammed into corner of their restaurant with seating for only 20 (four/five small tales) for a hotel of twenty floors. Really?. One staff members full time job was to ensure that any guest did not try to sit near the bar or restaurant tables since they were rented to corporate events. Many guests left drinkless or drank wine in their rooms alone. The websites displayed beautiful garden verandas with hip outdoor furniture and city views. I could not wait to sit outside have a drink and enjoy the city. The problem was I could never use them. They were booked with corporate events ever time and I was told as a guest I was not allowed on the veranda if corporate clients had then rented. I felt like a second class citizen in my own hotel. The staff kept apologizing but said corporate events had the priority. I understand corporate events are an important part of the hotel business model, bit there needs to be a balance. This was a big topic of discussion on my last night of the hotel was the wine reception was moved again to a corner of the very busy small lobby because of a "corporate event" in the previous small corner of the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Art1029
Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

New York city! A dream come true!
I actually had to repeat to myself 'I'm in New York!' several times per day to believe it...
Our stay at the Eventi played an important role in making this long week-end a memorable experience.
From check-in to check-out, the hotel staff was helpful, friendly, and extremely polite.
Thank you for bringing us Champagne for my friend's birthday, which we never mentioned at the front desk. We sipped it admiring the Empire State Building from our room.
Good luck, and we will return!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012 via mobile

My bestie and I came here on a red eye for a long weekend from LA. We arrived at the hotel at 8:30am. Was greeted with a smile, an immediate check-in and an upgrade! Hello NYC! We were put up on the 19th floor with a beautiful city view and while you are laying in your very big and comfy king size bed you can gaze up at the Empire State Building! The staff were amazing and very personable. I would definitely stay here again and I look forward to my return to such a beautiful and friendly city.

sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Just returned from 7 nights in New York and a stay at the Eventi.
Staff were very helpful, made last minute reservations for great restaurants etc.
WIne hour on the terrace was Fantastic, we met some fantastic people that made our stay in New York.
The room was very clean and comfortable, floor to ceiling windows, the view wasnt fantastic, but it was a typical New York Skyline kinda view and we enjoyed it, and the windows can be opened for some fresh air !
Awesome bathroom. Clean, plenty of towels and toiletries etc etc.
Very good location, fairly quiet. 2 blocks from times sqaure and other major attractions, close to multiple subway stops, easy walking to Chelsea, good shopping near by, and a great little deli on the next block which was good for breakfast and extra suppplies.
Only had one issue when the hotel had a freak water leak on our first morning, it only lasted a couple of hours but it meant we were not able to shower etc before leaving for sight seeing, We had to use one bottle of water from the mini bar to brush our teeth, they charged us for it ! and another bottle that we didnt use.
the mini bar charges required some double checking, we had items from the previous guest still in the fridge so not sure how accurate they were, but the mini bar is lockable in case you get tempted.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sydneytraveller5000
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
GavinBridger,
We hope you are lucky enough to visit NYC again and hopefully stay with us! How fun you were able to join us for our evening wine tasting. We look forward to seeing you again soon!