“REAL DEAL”

Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Galaxy Diner is a traditional diner in New York City. Home of the best burgers, we focus on friendly service & great food at a great price. Enjoy!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My favorite diner... had fabulous breakfast here every morning just round corner to Broadway great place to chat to locals and staff look after you The real deal of authentic New York diner .Thanks

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We wandered over after our B'way show and found the Galaxy. It was a great option for a quick, post-theatre bite. My Chef's salad was huge and had the most unique presentation I've seen. Son's pasta was also well done. Classic diner decor, but the galaxy "space" theme was cool. Not crowded so a good choice for post-theatre that takes you slightly away from the Times Square mob scenes.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

4 of us had a meal on Sunday afternoon good food well cooked and served by professionals orange juice on the house and the chicken noodle soup I had before my pork chops was the best ever tasted so if you want proper food at a very reasonable price get you map our and find this plac

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Equipped with Free WI-FI for diners, the Galaxy is a comfortable, somewhat tranquil, and sometimes packed diner. Since my first 2003 dining experience, starting with breakfast, I'm a devotee of their "baked on premises" largest, moist raisin bran and blueberry muffins served in NYC. A few years ago, I stopped modestly eating half or taking half of my muffin home. If I'm having breakfast or lunch with someone such as a client, smitten by Galaxy's enticing whole wheat pancakes, he usually orders), does not eat a portion of my bran, or blueberry muffin, another half hour might pass, before I finish my my wholesome bran muffin.

For the Record: A natural, healthy bran muffin's texture is neither soft flaky, nor crumbly.. Bran's outside crust is firm, but not hard. .Enjoying bran muffins with Galaxy's seemingly gourmet coffee, is probably traditional for most people, wherever they buy muffins or pastry. However, refilling ou r"no extra costs" coffee underscores the value of buying a cup of coffee at diners, vs. paying full-price for an additional cup of coffee at "take-out" cafe counters, donut shops and some restaurants.

In 1981, my bran muffin delight occurred, after buying my first natural, large healthy, muffin from an south west 44th Street, near Avenue of America's corner restaurant, downstairs from RCA'S Music. building in Manhattan. Back then, U.S' corporate secretaries and others' began their day by bringing/eating breakfast, at our desks, or a lunch room. Days after I shared half of my bran muffin with my co-worker secretary, her boss, Ralph Ablon, CEO/Chairman of Ogden's Fortune 500 Conglomerate, (at 277 Park Ave., Manhattan), expressed desire for his own bran muffins. Before I left that firm, for for several months, my boss, Stanley Frankel, VP of Public Relations for Ogden's Fortune 500 Conglomerate, became aware of my delivering bran muffins to Ablon's office, near Frankels office. Ablon paid for our muffins, about twice per week, when he worked in his office

Galaxy's fast paced waiters, seldom somberly arrive at our table. Their pleasant demeanor focuses on correctly taking orders, as waiters accustomed to diners overwhelmed by Galaxy's popular large corn-beef or pastrami Reuben sandwiches, perfect for two persons or a take home half sandwich item.

Seafood diners may agree that the Galaxy's popular shrimp scampi, served with potatoes or rice, and their mesclun salad or soup, and Alaskan salmon fillet, with lemon and white wine sauce are favorites.

Penny ;Ala' Vodka with either vodka, or brandy sauce with chicken. rate high among diners' in this "not too loud" serene dining venue, where two large TV screens' exist, seating approx. 70 people.

Their $7 wines comprise Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet and Merlot.

Today, 42 years later, Galaxy's long-standing Ninth Avenue clean diner, between West 42nd and West 56th Street, and 15 years since I first arrived here, I'm curious to hear two of Galaxy's remaining owners describe Galaxy Diner's history. Since the late 1990'S, Galaxy witnessed the transformation of Ninth Avenue's Clinton Hill's/Hell Kitchen, into it's current middle-class commercial and residential district, where rents alarmingly escalated in tenements, luxury, high rise and commercial buildings.. Since Galaxy's 1970''s arrival through the mid-1999's it suceeded despite their former seven days per week, 24 hours per day operations, when Clinton's Hill's/Hell's Kitchen's Ninth Avenue's (where Super-Star Alicia Keys grew up). dangerous,West 36th to West 56th Street, Ninth Avenue's blighted sidewalks, dismal housing, struggling mom and pop businesses, was a "do not walk at night" community, for New Yorkers and tourists. Today's vibrant hustle and bustleof these 20 streets, stretching up and down Ninth Avenue, Manhattan, are often ten too crowded, with heavy foot and mobile traffic for restaurants, clubs, boutiques, medical facilities, grocery stores, etc.

By Irma Tyus-Mitchell

1  Thank Irma T
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Great diner experience. We had brunch and was very happy with our meal. Lots of comfort food on the menu. The staff was friendly and service was great.