“Not worth the money!!!!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #273 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mays Landing, New Jersey
“Not worth the money!!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Was in New York City for Dance Educators of America workshops and competition for my daughter. This was exciting for her, but hell for me. I did not book with the rooms blocked by DEA so I didnot receive a discount on my room. The room was very small, felt like I was in a closet. After speaking with several people they stated that this was the norm for NYC. Pushing past the smallness of the room I was still quite shocked as there were no amenities (i.e. microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker). I travel extensively throughtout the United States and abroad and for the money that I spent for these accomodations I definitely was expecting more. They rate this hotel as 4 stars, I beg to differ. The walls are paper thin, seeming as though the neighbors who were constantly slamming doors and had loud conversation, were staying in the same room as me. The hotel staff was very rude. I was checked in right away because I probably had the room that no one wanted. Other people who were traveling with me for the same event did not get checked in until after 7p.m. and when they questioned the front desk staff as to when their room would be ready the staff appeared to be very irritated. Everyone states what a beautiful view they had overlooking NYC. Well I beg to differ on that comment also, my view was of other windows to other rooms. After placing a phone call to have my room changed because of the noise at 2a.m. in the morning I still had a crappy view. I don't mind paying the money if I am going to get what I pay for. I don't believe that this hotel is worth the money.

Room Tip: Can't give a tip, didn't have a good room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Disapp0intedDebbie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,142)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in June, lovely clean room, 2 large double beds and 2 bathrooms, as there were 3 of us sharing this was very handy. Very central, Tic Toc diner attached to the hotel is great and very convenient, reception staff very helpful, free safe deposit box, loved our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Alberta Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was such a great experience...great location...great staff! Stayed on the top floor...40th floor...view of the Empire State building right out our window! It was better than expected...would highly recommend!

Room Tip: The higher the better! Go for an upgrade to a suite...as high as you can go! Ask when you check in...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We arrived at the New Yorker three hours early for check in on July 4th, hoping to at least be able to drop off our bags and even better if we could actually get into our room early. Upon arrival there was some kind of confusion over the accommodations for a tower suite I had booked on a travel site I had not used before, but had found through Kayak.

Oneida (sp?) at the front desk said not to worry, and in fact upgraded us for free to an executive suite with a huge balcony overlooking Manhattan. My wife and two kids could not believe what an unbelievable room we had and the balcony was such a huge hit it was hard to get them out the door to go explore NYC. The suite was immaculate and the queen size sleeper sofa was excellent for the kids in the main living room.

The hotel had a classic old school Manhattan feel, but updated enough to not feel out of date. Cool to know the likes of Muhammad Ali, Joe DiMaggio, JFK, etc had stayed there back in the day. Enjoyed breakfast downstairs at the Tick Tock Diner, quick service and good food.

34th and 8th was a great location since we needed the subway to hit all the tourist stops, and Penn Station is right there. Not a bad walk to Times Square. Would definitely stay there again on a future visit from NC.

Room Tip: I've read where some of the rooms are tiny and a different experience, but the value of a suite...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jim S
, Public Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for the endorsement! We're glad you had a good time in New York. Please do come and stay with us again soon, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Eric Bryant, Marketing/PR
The New Yorker Hotel
ebryant@nyhotel.com
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

I went with my 2 sisters and we loved the hotel. Suzie at the Concierge desk was very helpful and made our trip a success. She suggested places to see and eat and took time to help us book our shows. She took extra time to help us every day.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends