“Always be there” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #149 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Always be there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

We tried different hotels but this is by far the best for couples who want to have fun. Not really suitable for families specially with kids, bathrooms are usually open and there is not much intimacy. Suits are amazingly spacious, the 70s style is super cool, the view is amazing: full windows allow the best view of the City. Location is perfect on the most vibrant part of the city, great boutiques and street life. Top restaurants in the neighborhood and the hotel restaurant itself "The Grill" food is fresh service is impeccable and personal good looking and fashionable and very kind and helfpful. We made this place our second home!! Standard people we love you except the nasty French guy at La Bain (one of the clubs).

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Christien79
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Read about this hotel in an architectural magazine and decided I would definitely have to visit. Booked myself a 3 nights’ stay. The check in went smoothly and I got upgraded to a king deluxe because I booked through the visa luxury website.

Good points about the hotel:-
• Its hip, its happening. Heaps of party and beautiful people hanging around at all times of the day
• The food at the standard grill is great, the service not so great
• The location is good, if you want to be out of midtown and in the meatpacking district
• The view of the high line from the full glass windows of the room is amazing. I could even catch a glimpse of the statue liberty

Not so Good points about the hotel:-
• Hotel staff service was somewhat lacking. From the housekeeping to the front desk. They weren’t rude, just rushed and uninterested. E.g asking for a showercap that took more than an hour to arrive. Like questioning that they missed out an item from my check out bill and got irritated glances instead. (and I thought honesty was a good trait) Was told they would email my final bill to me but I never received it.
• The rooms were tiny and claustrophobic.
• The rooms are not well maintained.
• The interior décor (from the corridors to the hotel rooms and the toilets) made me think I was in a hospital. I am a huge fan of modern hotel rooms but this was just a bit too trendy and weird for my taste.
• The mattress was really soft, bad back support
• shower area had no door, so if you are here w friends, plan how you would have to leave the room whilst the other is showering

Summary : it was ok for an experience. But I am pretty sure I won’t return again.
Tips : get a suite. The standard and deluxe rooms are really really tiny. And the wc feels like someone’s broom closet.

Room Tip: get a suite. The standard and deluxe rooms are really really tiny. And the wc feels like someone’s...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank damask_rose
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
I appreciate your comments, and am glad you gave us a try! While I realize our design and atmosphere aren’t for everyone, I’m glad you gave us a shot and hope that you try us again in the future.

With regard to the size of our guestrooms we do have a variety of options available. I encourage you to give our knowledgeable team a call, where they can help determine the best of our room types for your needs.

I’m sorry to hear of the lack of response on your requests, and I am sharing these notes with our team to ensure we deliver any item requested as soon as is possible. Again, I hope we are able to welcome you as our guest again in the near future, and let me know how I can help in arranging this!

Regards,

David Lemmond
hong kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Yes the Standard hotel is on the fabulous High line, yes it has a really cool bar and it's restaurants are always full of cool people or wannabe cool people. But try being a hotel guest and you have little chance of service. Not strangers to luxury hotels around the world, we were flabbergasted at how badly we were treated by staff who seem to be caught up in the be- cool thing. I must say the young guys helping with taxis and luggage were polite and helpful, check in staff too were polite, but after that it was downhill. I managed to be well ignored as I waited to get breakfast, there was always confusion, and not much attention. I ate there only twice out of seven days. Try getting into the upstairs bars, and there is little hope. Guest? Are you on a list? No effort to provide service . In fact we tried twice and were virtually abused by the caricatures guarding the doors. Clearly wrong age demographic, over fifty, and not cool enough.
The hotel rooms have amazing views but you don't find anywhere to hang your bath towel and the shower sprays onto the carpet in the corridor. Enjoy the highline but if you want to feel like a guest in a real hotel and to find some decent service, avoid this one.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank coffeeglutton
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
We appreciate your feedback, and I’m glad our team helped make you feel at home at the start. I’m sorry to hear about your experiences in the Grill and on the 18th Floor, and your comments are being shared with our teams in these areas. We want to ensure each one of our guests experiences great service and that this becomes a lasting memory of time spent at The Standard! Despite you initial experience, I hope you will give us another try and have the chance to experience more of our venues. Please let me know personally how I can be of help with any reservations and questions!

Regards,

David Lemmond
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and loved it. The rooms are quite small but most are in NYC. Small but well designed, amazing views over the Hudson and a brilliant location. The Standard Grill was great - delicious menu. The hotel were very friendly and helpful - something you don't always find in NYC's trendier hotels.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

The outside bar area in front of Standard hotel is great. They have really great pitchers of cocktails at reasonable prices. Great view of people watching and nice little appetizers. Had a great time and drank a lot.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends