“Hotspot high-standard hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #151 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Hotspot high-standard hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Pro:
Fantastic clean room with view over hudson/downtown manhattan. Comfortable beda. Bike rental was perfect (excellent bikes, 10$ a day). TV on room was high quality.

Con:
Free Internet wifi is very slow and some bedbugs identified.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We were really looking forward to the Standard New York and booked a suite for a week.

On arrival, there was nor doorman to assist with the luggage on our round the world trip, and being about 10:00Pm we had to battle the hoards of visitors and manage our own luggage through a turnstile to eventually check in.

The check in staff were quite flippant, and concierge begrudgingly gave some assistance with restaurant bookings I had requested for the week. We got 1 table from 4 requests. Definitely a concierge with no clout!

The well styled oom afforded great views of the East River, but was very small. In fact, the king bed was pushed into a corner of the room making it very difficult for my parter to get in or out of Bed. A design Hotel.... Really?

The Roof top bar was fun of an afternoon, but very crowded and under serviced though. The pool was so small I would call it a Spa, and on view to everyone walking in and out of roof top bar. No privacy for a hotel guest on a summers day.

Over all, I am disappointed to say the hotel was a real let down. If you want to visit the bars and restaurants in the Hotel, stay somewhere comfortable nearby and do so, everyone else is! In fact the hotel, it's lifts corridors, Bars, Club and restaurants are full of non resident guests, making life difficult for those that want to enjoy the hotel, and have paid to do so!

Disappointed to say I would not stay at this Hotel again!

Room Tip: Ensure your room is large enough, properly laid out, and if possible reasonably quite.... Good Luc...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear of your experience. While our rooms are not always right for everyone, there is no excuse for less than great service. I am bringing up your comments with our team as an example of how we can improve the guest experience and ensure each one of our guests enjoys the The Standard! While I note your hesitation in returning with us, please let me know how I can be of any help in changing your mind. We would very much enjoy having you back for a second chance!

Kind Regards,

Decatur, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Standard has become my favorite boutique hotel in the Chelsea area. The pluses are the international hip vibe, the hotel architecture, the elevator video and music, The Standard Grill restaurant breakfast and dinner menu, the red lounge off the lobby, the views on both sides of the hotel (I prefer the north view), the rooms with a tub, and proximity to the High Line and Chelsea. I have personally experienced great service at both the hotel and Grill. The only downside common to all boutiques in the area is the limited storage and drawers.

Room Tip: The northside rooms with the large tubs are my favorite.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Bergamo, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

“Don't go if you are on a business trip, the worst among STD downtown LA and Standard Miami Beach !! ”

OVERALL:

Time of stay: July 2011

Location: One of the best location for a NY hotel. In the heart of the Meatpacking. It's all about location and fun in this hotel.

Pro:
Rooms are very trendy and sexy
Toilet amenities simply fantastic as in all Standard hotels.
Next door to the best shops in downtown manhattan, Scoop, jeffreys.

Con:
Impossible to access to the Roof top there is always a party
Compared to his brother in Miami and Downtown LA totally lack of personality.

ROOMS:
Besides the fantastic view on the Hudson they are studied for orgies definitely not for business men. Not even for business men willing to make orgies, no space for even checking emails.

QUALITY\PRICE:
A shame, but its the standard.

BUSINESS NOTES:
If you have $ 400 to spend just sleep there, have breakfast at the Standard grill, eat and chill out far from this hotel.
Convenient if you have to bring customers in different restaurant like Pastis, La Gazzetta, Fig & Olive, Standard Grill and be close to Hotel to sleep and be fresh the day after.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank RealBusinessReview
Thanks for your business review. I am sorry to hear that you do not feel we were appropriate for your needs for this trip. I would be interested in hearing further about a few of your comments, especially those you mention under the heading “Rooms”? I hope we have the chance to invite you back and improve on your opinion.

Regards,
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

This was my second time at the Standard. I came back because the rooms are great and the view is amazing. And I would come back again for those reasons. However, what was a bad experience this time was when I wanted to join my friends/colleagues (also residents in the hotel) in the rooftop bar. I had just ordered a drink from the ground floor bar which I brought up. The bouncer didn't let me in the rooftop bar with my drink as the bars were "different entities". My friends had drinks from that bar so they couldn't come down with me and I couldn't come in with my drink. So his "solution" was that I could drink it before entering (it was a full drink so either I would dunk it down all at once or drink it in 5 or so minutes) or leave the drink behind and order a new one. This was outrageous. How could I know this was a different entity? Was it not normal that I wanted to join my friends? And the guy was just rude about it - didn't even apologize for the inconvenience.

That evening our group wanted to go to the rooftop bar for drinks but after 11pm residents weren't allowed unless you were on "the list". Again, the reason was that it was a different entity form the hotel. This is not great customer service - especially for such a high class hotel. (This actually also happened the first time I was here.)

So, great rooms, great design, but the service is not up to par which is a missed opportunity.

Room Tip: 7th floor and up
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank steefvw
Thanks for your comments, and I’m sorry to hear of the confusion regarding our 18th Floor! We do have a variety of outlets at our property to showcase different sides of The Standard, and while all are housed in the same building we do have different staff and management in each. Part of what gives each area its unique personality is the different cocktails and food items sold in each space. We do encourage all of our guests to experience each unique venue!

Kind Regards,