“Excellent food at moderate prices for New York”

Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Corner 29th Street
Transit: Trains A & E @ Penn station # 1 @ 28th & 7th ave
Reviewed 15 May 2017

I did not feel like having a ritzy dinner and was in the mood for Greek food, which has become hard to come by where I live in Arizona. After a day of church and a concert, I chose this place not far from my hotel and left satisfied. It is a casual sit down restaurant, with an extensive Greek menu. I had two glasses of retsina wine, something I have developed a taste for and that I can't get in my city, tzatziki with pita bread, and the DOlmades, the stuffed grape leaves with a side of potatoes and vegetables. Hit the spot and did not break the bank.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

Last night a buddy and I had dinner at Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine on 8th Avenue, from around 8:50 to 9:50pm. Unlike previous time that I dined there for dinner, the service was horrible. The regular wait staff was not present, and we ended up with a male waiter around 40 years old who could barely understand our English -- the ONLY waiter working there last night. Examples: One, I asked the waiter TWICE to close the front door, as it was chilly outside; he never closed the front door, so I had to close it myself. Two, I asked him if the halibut fish was a filet or had a bone in it. He did not understand the question, so I asked to speak to the apparent manager. As he did not understand my request, I motioned the manager to come over to our table, where I asked the question. I was told that the halibut had a bone in it, but that the cook staff would not remove it. So I ordered a another fish entree, swordfish. Three, I asked the waiter which vegetables or rice accompanied the entree. He did not answer. Four, at the end of our meal, we asked for two separate checks but receive only one check. Then we found out that the manager had departed earlier and that the cash register was apparently closed (9:50pm !!!!), so the restaurant would not accept CASH, only credit cards --- so we were told. On the plus side, the food was tasty and reasonably priced. But, to have the restaurant staffed by only ONE waiter who could not understand English reflects on the management, and the restaurant was fairly busy.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

Broad ranging choice of well prepared Greek dishes, excellent quality and quite a bit better then some of the stuff that tourists get served in the homeland..

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Haven't been here since I was a kid with my family - probably 30+ years. As a Greek I was a little put off that there were virtually no Greeks present running the restaurant - rather they were mostly Hispanic. To my pleasant surprise all these boys (in particular our server Edwin) were amazing and spoke Greek near fluently- very impressive. Add to that incredibly kind and attentive service we received from Edwin, and better than average Greek food with very reasonable prices (best keftedes I've ever had), and you have your classic Greek taverna! Opa!

Ps / we were at the 50th st location!

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a good meal made up of several small plates. Fun atmosphere. Many filled tables of friendly people eating and drinking wine.