New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Banff, Canada
“Small but great view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

We booked a deluxe king room so that we could get a view.....and we did. The empire state building was right there! if you take a cab out and around make sure you take the address with you. We had difficutly getting back as no one knew where the Strand was. We had to call the hotel from the cab to get the address!

One of us had trouble sleeping due to noise but I did not notice it - too tired from the flight. The room was clean, bathroom small but quite nice. The frosted glass bathroom door was a litte off putting, privacy wise, if you weren't travelling with close family.It also got stuck so I had to wait until huband came to get me out!

Staff was friendly and helpful. We left too early for the breakfast.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the address so the cab drivers can get you back. All the ones we had did not know...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I was so pleased that we were able to honor your request for an Empire State building view. We are so thrilled to have so many amazing rooms with this iconic building outside of their window! Sorry for your taxi experience, with so many NY hotels I suppose it can be overwhelming for the drivers to remember where each property is located. I will certainly pass along your kind words about our helpful friendly staff

John N. Loizos
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Hungarian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

The hotel was great. The location was convient and close to subway and shopping. Short walk to Time Sq and Broadway. You get a fabulous view of the Empire State Builidng from the Roof Top Bar. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help and answer any questions. The room was comfortable for NY standards. The bathroom was tiny but we didn't mind as we didn't spend much time in there. The King size bed was so comfortable and very relaxing. The air con was noisy but we didn't really need to use it much. Overall great place, great location and wonderfull staff. Would definately stay there again.

Dear Guest,

There is so much to truly love about NYC, thank you for selecting the Strand as part of that wonderful experience. We were pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and for mentioning our great location, wonderful staff and comfort of our rooms. We sincerely hope that the Strand can always be part of your NYC experience, hope to have the opportunity of personally welcoming you in the near future.

Have a great summer!

Warm regards,

Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed in The Strand for 5 nights on a recent city break to NYC. While checking in the front desk staff weren't overly friendly but for the rest of the trip the staff were all very nice and helpful.

The room was small, but I suppose that is standard for NYC. We had to unpack our stuff as there was nowhere to keep our suitcases. The cupboard space was just TINY - once we put our empty suitcase in there, it was pretty much full. The room was reasonably clean but not spotless - the insides of the drawers were extremely dusty and had crumbs and hair in them, and the light switches were a bit grimy. Otherwise it was perfectly fine, bed was comfortable.

VERY annoying not to have a fridge in the room! As others have said, it was basically a vending machine and we were told clearly at check-in not to touch anything unless we wanted to be charged. It was clearly marked on the machine as well. They said they were unable to empty it as they contract this service out to a vending company. I like to keep bottles of water in the room so this was extremely pointless.

The rooftop bar is lovely - really comfy casual sofa seating and friendly bartender and great view of the Empire State Building.

As for location, Times Square and the Macy's/Herald Square shopping area were both within a 5 minute walk, as was access to the subway (a number of lines on 34th street) so it was really easy to get around the city from there. Also the Empire State Building was one street down (although we did not visit it). However the area around the hotel itself wasn't too great - there were a number of sex shops on the street, with mannequins wearing leather costumes in the window. Didn't really bother me but might bother some, made me feel we were in a seedy part of town even though we were not. My main gripe is that we couldn't any decent casual restaurants around, although there was a nice deli across the road. There was construction work going on next door but we did not hear anything.

All in all it was a good stay but I would not stay here again. That is mainly down to the location - I would rather be in a more 'neighbourhood' part of NYC than this touristy area.

1 Thank honeymoonhunt
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking to the time to write you’re thorough review. We thank you for your comments regarding our nice helpful staff, comfortable bed, convenient location and great roof top bar We apologize for some of the inconsistency that you experienced during your stay and hope I can further discuss them with you. Although you mention that the location may not be best suited for your future stays please be mindful that although we are so close to all of the major attractions we are also nestled away in the middle of a block just off of 5th avenue with hardly any outside noise. Please feel free to contact me directly, (646 368-6415.

Denton, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I returned to the Strand for my biz trip to NYC for only one night. The room was lovely and clean. The bathroom was sized small but ok. For me, the bed was not soft enough - but then I'm used to a softer mattress with plenty of support. I understand not all beds will be comfy when I'm traveling. My disappointment - My previous visit provided a complimentary breakfast and I assumed at the rate I paid (over 400.00) I would again have breakfast. Not so. When I went to the cafe to get breakfast I was told the breakfast on the bottom floor was for international travelers and that the complimentary breakfast was discountinued in January 2012 and I was not "on the list for complimentary breakfast". If it was discontinued, why a list? And why are so many here on trip advisor mentioning it? It was disappointing as I had to walk down the street to get an inexpensive breakfast - a bagel - on my way to the airport.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KaykayHS
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent visit and for taking the time to share your experience. We are sincerely disappointed for the unnecessary confusion you encountered with some of our changes with breakfast. I would really appreciation the opportunity to explain them to you as I am truly confident that you will be pleased. We appreciate your wonderful comments about our rooms being lovely and clean and hope that we can continue to have you with us during your future business trips. (646) 368-6415

Eagle Mountain, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

In a word, Amazing...There is no better hotel in NYC than The Strand, From the moment you check in you are treated with the utmost repsect, Any questions or concerns you have there is an amazing front desk staff that will drop everything to assist you, Need directions somewhere? they will give you a map and take the time to show you what you need to know, Need show tickets? they will drop everything to get you the best price...Amazing views in every room, and the central location is perfect for exploring all of NYC, Most of the top attractions are within a couple of blocks. I honestly can't remember the last time I had customer service this amazing. And it's not just the front desk staff, Every single employee I walked by while we enjoyed our 5 night stay was always smiling, asking if I needed anything and if there is anything they could help with...And I havent even mention the Top of the Strand bar, With the BEST view of the Empire State building you really could not ask for a better hotel experiance in NYC.

Trust me...If your going to NYC, The smartest people stay at The Strand.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room with the Empire State view, If they have one available they will happily...
1 Thank RandySnow
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Strand team, thank you so very much for your most amazing review! We are so truly humbled by your depiction of what we always strive for, a memorable stay at the Strand NYC. We hope that you will forever have an “Empire State of Mind” with the strand being home when in NY.

Enjoy your summer, see you soon.

Warm regards,