1,337 results
All reviews rooms are small murray's bagels great location rooftop deck new york the high line the penthouse the empire state building room size queen bed hotel room front desk staff penn station around the corner few blocks coffee maker times square
Reviewed 29 October 2018

I booked a room at this Hotel after a very good stay 5 years ago.
The hotel has completely changed and it's not what it used to be.
It is just SAD. I am not sure how else I could describe it, so I attached some pictures; check them out.

STAFF:
Both reception staff and bar staff treat customers more like an annoyance than a customer. At arrival we tried to be nice and break the ice but there was no response or smile; they ignored anything we said and just said "this is your key, 4th floor" and then started playing with their phones.
People at the bar and reception wear hoodies and dirty (DIRTY) t-shirts or clothes. There is hipster-scruffy, shabby-chick and there is dirty: I am talking about dirty.
I realised what I thought being a delivery man was actually the person at reception.
The staff at reception and at the bar would serve you while eating their hot-smelly meals from plastic takeaway boxes. I would assume the staff should eat their lunch somewhere else and not while behind behind the bar and serving people.

NO ATMOSPHERE and EMPTY:
Behind reception, for the whole 4 days of our stay, there were piles of boxes, cartons, toilet paper, full white bin bags and random stuff piled up. How can you welcome your guest like that?
There are glove boxes, tissue boxes and other random stuff at the bar, like if it is a kitchen of a cheap chinese takeaway shop that no one is supposed to see. The shelves where drinks and wines are supposed to be are empty; loos like someone has moved out and the bar emptied.

ROOMS: the amount of hair we found in the bathroom was outstanding.

Overall, for the price they charge, I would NOT stay again at this hotel whatsoever. I would rather pay half of it and stay in a nice hostel, as the atmosphere, rooms and service is comparable and the staff cannot be as bad.

Room tip: don't book it, seriously. It makes your stay just sad and you just want to get away from it
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ejaz B, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate feed back as it helps us to improve our product/services. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations this time. We hope that you would give us another chance and come back to visit us in near future. We are making necessary adjustments to our procedures to ensure maximum guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon in near future.

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Truly awful beds and pillows- both were lumpy and hard. I don’t look for too much in hotels, especially when I know I won’t be spending much time in the room, but this was an awful place to lay my head at night. The location is fantastic and a block from the subway, but that’s the only positive I have for this place. For what they charge per night, a decent mattress that is not that much to ask for.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank veronicacross94
Ejaz B, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

Dear Veronica,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are in the process of replacing all the beds. I am sorry that you did not like the mattress though all the mattresses were changed about 10 months ago. Thank you for your input. We work very hard to ensure our guests a pleasant stay. We hope that you would give us another chance by visiting us again in near future.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

The GEM Hotel - Chelsea. We arrived about 1:00; rooms not ready. OK. Drop the bags and said we'd return about 3:00 (the designated check-in time). We returned about 4:15. Our room was STILL NOT READY. But, they went ahead and sent us upstairs, as the room was "just about finished." Our room was 601 -- the "Penthouse." I think it's called a penthouse simply because it's the only room on the top floor. We had to wait in the hallway for another 10 minutes as the housekeeping crew finished what appeared to be a near-Hazmat cleaning operation (they walked out with big equipment). Remember I said "Penthouse"? The room is surprisingly small for its billing. It also smelled kind of funky. First impression: Unclean. Here's the only saving grace of the room: There's a very large private roof-top balcony. It could/should be decked out somewhat nicer; but at least we had a large door we could open to air out the room. Bathroom was depressing. Shower head was third-world (see pic). Small bug crawling on the floor was, at this point, not a surprise. We were in town for a 1-night stay-over for a flight the next day. If not for the quick in-and-out of this trip, we would have bolted to another property immediately. The final billing (over US$500, with taxes/fees), just added insult to injury. The rooftop patio is the only reason this hotel didn't get 1 star.

Room tip: How to choose a good room? Look elsewhere!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris C
Ejaz B, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry to know that you were not able to check in at 3pm. We are making changes to our procedures to avoid this happening again. We hope that come back and stay with us in near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2018

Our room was postage-stamp sized which made it difficult for two people to move around at the same time. The bed was not very comfy and there was little storage for clothing. However, the staff was super-friendly and accommodating. Although this is billed as a "luxury" hotel, it didn't feel like one as the amenities were rather run-of-the-mill. The best part about this hotel is the location — smack in the heart of Chelsea within walking distance to Chelsea Market, The Highline, many fine restaurants and entertainment venues. Far less expensive than other hotels in the area, if I could find a discounted deal on The Gem, I'd stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Ms. Katie,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and liked our staff. We work very hard to please our guests. We look forward to welcome you in near future.

Again, thank you.

Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Read a couple of reviews and then don't complain about a small room. Yes, they are small. Stayed 4 nights at The GEM. Only difficulty with room size was my wife and I had to dance around each other get ready for the day each AM. That was the only negative. Even then, the positives far exceeded that small issue. Great location 1 block from 23rd St E train. Simple transfer to and fron JFK via subway. Lots of cafes in immediate area for a quick bite/drink. Clean hotel and room. Had one issue with number of clean towels left in room. One call to front desk and resolved within 15 mins. Great hotel staff. Every staff member had a smile and a kind word at all encounters. Nice rooftop lounge area. No rooftop bar, but beer/wine a available in lobby bar at very reasonable prices. Get a drink, go to rooftop, enjoy the views. Rooftop would benefit from a "facelift," but still a really nice oasis. Highly recommend. Rooms are small, but how much more do you need beyond cleanliness, friendly and accomodating staff, and a place to sleep? 4/5 rating only because it's not a high end hotel. It is a great property for NYC recreation visit.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Its good to know that you found our rooms to be clean and enjoyed friendly staff. We hope to see you soon.