1,335 results
All reviews rooms are small murray's bagels great location rooftop deck new york the high line the penthouse the empire state building queen bed hotel room up to date front desk staff subway stop street noise fitness center around the corner few blocks
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Read a couple of reviews and then don't complain about a small room. Yes, they are small. Stayed 4 nights at The GEM. Only difficulty with room size was my wife and I had to dance around each other get ready for the day each AM. That was the only negative. Even then, the positives far exceeded that small issue. Great location 1 block from 23rd St E train. Simple transfer to and fron JFK via subway. Lots of cafes in immediate area for a quick bite/drink. Clean hotel and room. Had one issue with number of clean towels left in room. One call to front desk and resolved within 15 mins. Great hotel staff. Every staff member had a smile and a kind word at all encounters. Nice rooftop lounge area. No rooftop bar, but beer/wine a available in lobby bar at very reasonable prices. Get a drink, go to rooftop, enjoy the views. Rooftop would benefit from a "facelift," but still a really nice oasis. Highly recommend. Rooms are small, but how much more do you need beyond cleanliness, friendly and accomodating staff, and a place to sleep? 4/5 rating only because it's not a high end hotel. It is a great property for NYC recreation visit.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Ejaz B, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Its good to know that you found our rooms to be clean and enjoyed friendly staff. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Chelsea, and The GEM fit the bill. The location is excellent and the bathrooms are updated and very nice. I also appreciated the fruit infused water in the lobby and the wine bar option. On the negative side, the hallways are disconcertingly dimly lit....and the mattresses and curtains seem many decades old.

Date of stay: September 2018
Ejaz B, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We work very hard to ensure guest satisfaction. Thank you for your suggestions. We are in the process of replacing curtains. All mattresses were replaced about 10 months ago. We are considering increasing the light voltage in hallways based on your suggestion.

Again than you for staying with us and we look forward to see you in near future.

Reviewed 6 October 2018

GEM Hotel in Chelsea, Manhattan, New York

I stayed two nights in the penthouse of this hotel. I chose this room and hotel because of relatively good reviews on Trip Advisor. I did not want to stay at a big modern hotel, just because I don’t like homogeneity in lodgings. I chose the penthouse after reading a particular and positive review. I’m very glad I stayed in the penthouse. Based upon what I now know, I would probably not book a standard room in this hotel unless I was traveling strictly for business and did not need good hotel amenities. However, the rooftop patio available to all is a very nice feature of this hotel.

There are good things about this hotel and this particular room. Joey - who generally answered the telephone before my stay - has a beautiful voice and helped with all my questions before I checked in. The outdoor deck associated with this penthouse room is spacious and a very nice feature. This penthouse room is not large, but not small. All the staff with whom I interacted were nice, and helpful. The hotel seemed clean and there is a nice lobby (which I did not use). The bar in the hotel lobby had a happy hour with 2-for-1 drinks from 3 to 8 PM. There is a fitness room (that I did not use) that seemed well equipped. There is a fairly extensive natural foods store immediately adjacent to this hotel, and the eighth-avenue subway has a station just one block away. The hotel has a discount arrangement with a parking garage one block away. (The attendants at the parking garage are noted for being grumpy.) There is a rooftop patio available for all hotel guests. The neighborhood is good, as anyone familiar with Manhattan would know. (My particular favorite experience nearby was a lovely dinner at the Salinas Spanish restaurant one block from this hotel. And my absolute favorite thing about New York City is hearing Vince Giordano and his Nighthawks Orchestra, which play traditional hot jazz every Monday and Tuesday nights in the Theater District.)

The higher price for this penthouse room seemed reasonable to me. I was on a special vacation and knew that I would need time to relax and the idea of an outdoor patio near the end of summer seemed fetching. I did enjoy the patio quite a lot. The views of nearby buildings - including the spire of the Empire State Building – were enjoyable.

There were, however, quite a few marginal to negative aspects to my stay. The most troubling was an odd banging noise. It is a relatively quiet noise, but clearly audible, even when the AC fan was on. It woke me up at an early morning hour and kept me awake for quite some time. It took me a while to recognize that this noise has something to do with the elevator. This bang noise occurred about twice a minute and occurred all night and all day. Annoying and disturbing to me, but noise is a particular concern for me.

The sink in the bathroom was odd. First of all, the shallow square sink was pitched in a way that the water did not flow towards the drain. So, if you spit in the sink, the spittle stayed there. And the vertical distance between the faucet spout and the sink was very small – barely enough to get your hands under the water stream. At the time of my visit, the showerhead was held together with tape. I hope they have replaced that. On the second day of my visit, housekeeping made a particular additional trip to my room to bring one (not two) washcloths; that cloth had a hole the size of a silver dollar in it. Very odd.

The room smelled somewhat musty. The AC unit was moderately loud. The AC unit did cool the room, but did not seem to remove the humidity of the room. This room needs a bit of touch-up painting and repair to some wallpaper at the head of the bed.

The desk was kind of cheap. The mattress was too soft for my taste. The lighting was OK. The window coverings were OK but the door to the deck was not correctly maintained, was missing some parts and a gasket was hanging loose. There is no refrigerator in the room, but there is an ice machine down in the lower level.

The deck was not well maintained. Upon my arrival several of the bulbs in the light string were burned out; the staff replaced those when I commented. The outdoor teak furniture badly needs an oil treatment. Most notably, there are weird plywood boxes that were at one time covered with plastic fake ivy; that plastic stuff was so old that it was falling apart, as were the plywood boxes. The entire patio needed a coat of paint.

From my personal perspective, one of the most important details for a good hotel stay is a quiet room. The continuous low-level banging noise in this room was difficult for me to tolerate when trying to sleep in the mornings. The AC unit was moderately noisy, but typical compared to most hotels in my experience. Fortunately there was no noise from adjacent guestrooms, but that may not be true for rooms on other floors of this hotel.

Weirdly, the photos of this penthouse room as shown on the hotel web site are distorted. The main view has an exaggerated horizontal aspect, which makes the room look bigger in the photo that it really is, and the photo of the desk must be from some other room. The furniture shown on the website photo of the pation is not what existed during my stay. It is odd that they would put a photo of the coffee-maker as one of only three photos of the penthouse room!

On two occasions I asked other hotel guests about their experience of the hotel. Both guests said that their rooms were “very small.” I did see one other room on the fifth floor, and it was rather small. As a solo guest the penthouse room was of adequate size, but not in any sense large.

Most of my objections to this particular hotel room could easily be fixed, and I hope the hotel does remedy these little problems.

I rarely stay overnight in Manhattan, so my points of reference are very few. I would say that the weekend night cost was pretty good for what I got, but the weeknight cost was a bit too high. If the hotel would tend to its proper maintenance this room would be a good deal. But they really need to fix that banging noise problem. If you can splurge on the extra cost of this penthouse room, I think it is worth it. If I had to economize and stay in one of their standard rooms, I think I would stay somewhere else – maybe even in a modern cookie-cutter type hotel. I’m glad I stayed at this hotel, but it could have been much better.

In my opinion this hotel now deserves a three-star rating, but the penthouse really needs some tender loving care. With that maintenance, and resolution to the banging noise, this would be a four-star room.

I hope I can stay at this hotel penthouse again under better circumstances.

Room tip: Book the penthouse, especially if visiting with friends or a companion.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Jim B

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and like our Penthouse. We work very had to please our guests. We hope that you come back and visit us again.

Again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Wouldn’t stay here again. I don’t need a lot of space, but these rooms are tiny. Suitcase has to stay on the floor in the middle of the room; had to hang my suit from the door lock just to steam it, room smells musty. Not to mention that they were vacuuming the hallways at 9:15 PM. Only good thing is location and the mattress is decently comfortable. Glad I’m only here one night.

Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a review. We are glad that you like the location and our comfortable mattress. We look forward to welcome you in near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

Conveniently located, pricing was very reasonable for NYC. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Room was clean and decorated modern & simple.
Has a rooftop patio which was great to take a glass of wine up and relax after an exhausting day. I would definitely stay here again!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Ejaz B, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do our best to please our guests. We hope to see you soon.

Again, thank you.