“A hidden gem safely off the beaten track!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #91 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
United Kingdom
“A hidden gem safely off the beaten track!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

As everyone knows, New York is famous for being both a fantastic city and an expensive place to find a room for the night. As someone keen to be close to the main attractions of the city but off the beaten track - and the premium you pay for being there - I was really pleased to discover Ink48 and the Kimpton Hotel group. Not only does Ink48 offer stylish comfort, all mod cons and impeccable customer service but you also get far more for your money than just 10 minutes walk away on the main drags. What you may have to sacrifice in terms of being right in the thick of things (if that's what you want) you more than make up for with the personal touch of the staff and the relaxed atmosphere. The rooftop bar must have one of the best views of the NY skyline in town. Make sure to go for the higher levels, ideally requesting a view over the Hudson if you can. The restaurant is worth visiting in its own right. finally, don't be put off by the Hell's Kitchen location; sounds foreboding but it's perfectly safe and 10 minutes walk from the main city vibe.

Room Tip: Make sure to go for the higher levels, ideally requesting a view over the Hudson if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you Simon for your amazing feedback. I am happy you got the chance to experience New York City the Ink48 way. Let me know your next trip to NYC for I will personally love to welcome you back. See you soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Polish first
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

I've stayed at many kimpton hotels before but only recently tried Ink48. The atmosphere is really nice and the room was very clean and elegant. I was in a corner room and had windows all around the room - very good. The rooms are furnished in a very modern style, like all kimpton hotels, and I really enjoy that. Make sure you sign up for their loyalty program, as it gets you free internet and free items from the mini-bar for no additional charge.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and staying here at Ink48. I must agree with you that signing up for our loyalty program is a must. Who doesn’t like to receive free things? I hope to welcome you back soon.
Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Kimpton Hotels cater to active adults. Here in NYC the Ink48 Kimpton has bicycles and a jogging map in your room. Dogs are allowed. The staff is great. My favorite staff member is the greeter: a sweet little dog that works the lobby like no-one's business and makes everyone feel good! There is a free cocktail hour with wind and Sangria. The location is good. We found a free street parking spot and are walking/cabbing around Manhattan. We can see times square neon from our room, and found it an easy walk to get downtown.There are lots of cool little restaurants and businesses if you get out on the street between the hotel and the downtown.

The room looks just like the pictures., and is very stylish and comfortable. We got a $15 voucher for the minibar, and a $30 voucher toward the spa. It was easy to stow our two suitcases. The windows/view of the skyline are fabulous. A very nice bathroom and a full-length mirror. Lots of coat hangers, an iron, robes and a blowdryer. You can get a flat iron and lots of other stuff if you call room service.

The rooftop bar is gorgeous, and seems to be the hip place to go for people not staying at the hotel.

Tiny negatives: seating in the lobby for the free cocktail hour is limited, the room AC is loud, and the lighting in the bathroom vanity lighting is dim, making makeup/hair a little adventurous. If you want to be eco-conscious/don't want fresh linens daily, you need to write a note.The parking fee is for every time you bring your car in and out, so if you want to drive around the city, be prepared pay for it.

Room Tip: The side facing downtown/times square is great. The other side faces the river, and may be great too...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Layla (Our sweet pup) and I would love to thank you for your amazing feedback. I am glad you receive the chance to stay with us and also got the chance to explore our neighborhood. Please feel free to stay with us again. See you soon.
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed at In48 for 6 nights at the end of May. Before our stay I emailed the concierge to arrange for an upgrade to one of the corner rooms as on the Trip advisors photos those seemed to have a nice view. It was perfectly arranged, just as our reservation for Saturday night dinner at the rooftop of Stk restaurant (thanks Jason, we had a lovely dinner!). I'm always surprised to see that you can't store 2 suitcases in a 2 person room, but ok. The bed was good and spacious. The bathroon complete and clean, so what more can you ask for in NY. The hotel appeared to have made a reservation for hotel fees on my credit card twice, so I was maxed out on my credit card at day 1, but the front desk manager perfectly solved this directly and we received a bottle of complimentary champagne to apologise for the inconvenience. The rooftop bar has a great view, but is busy and very expensive, USD 18 for a sparkling water and a beer. The hotel is located at 48th st at 11 avenue, which is about 10 minutes walking distance away from the nearest subway. We didn't mind, but I can imagine guests looking for a more centrally located hotel. We ate breakfast in one of the diners outside of the hotel every day, as we thought the hotel restaurant to be a bit overpriced in that respect as well. We had a great week in the hotel and would certainly recommend it to anyone visiting NY.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for choosing Ink48 and leaving such wonderful feedback. Glad you enjoyed the champagne we sent to you and I hope to see you the next time you visit.
Boca Raton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Checking out today and thought I would share my experience while still very fresh. I booked this hotel after reading reviews that called this hotel "amazing" and "best hotel ever stayed in." I don't see it. While the hotel is clean and my room was very large, the employees and the little things made the hotel good, not great. First, the light in my bathroom wasn't working when I checked in late at night, a quick call and it was fixed in a pretty speedy fashion; but the next day it wasn't working again, and again the next day. By today, my last day, I am just over the hassle of calling to get it fixed. I would expect the problem to be explored and rectified permanently after two occurrences. My second observation, the staff was ok, not "so helpful and accommodating" as a lot of people write. I have had far better service with Hilton and other hotels. The staff was amicable, don't get me wrong, but they weren't anything special. I don't usually write reviews, but I thought I should share my average experience at this hotel which is somehow reviewed as though it is 4 or 5 star! It is not. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels, and this is close to 4 but not quite.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo