“Great stay at Morgan's! Definitely recommended!”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #192 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“Great stay at Morgan's! Definitely recommended!”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed at Morgan's Hotel 11 June - 13 June 2012, and was VERY satisfied! The hotel is cozy (yes a bit on the small side, but not tiny), but very clean and has all the necessary amenities that a traveler would need.

The front desk staff was friendly and courteous, and checking took all but a few minutes. I was worried that my room on the 11th floor would be noisy - being in proximity of the elevator - but once the door closed, I could barely hear anything.

My standard queen room was very clean and well-maintained. I appreciated that it had a desk to work on, as well as a couch to sit on. I liked the Sony iPod dock, and the contemporary design of the furnishings in the room. I liked the special "hidden" closet by the window. It looked like it could store quite a lot of clothes. The bed was great, and the linens were clean and comfy.

While I found the bathroom to be pretty cool and contemporary, it was a bit on the small side. So much so, that I had to use the shower stall space when walking in and out of the bathroom. Perhaps they should install sliding doors to maximize on the space. Other than this one drawback, I also thought that there was a bit of a funky smell by the window, but I am attributing that to the condensation from the AC (which by the way worked great!)

I also really enjoyed the continental breakfast! The hot coffee, bagels and pastries were super fresh, and the other items looked very tempting.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to any traveler.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you so very much! Although there is so much information online these days, there is nothing like a good old fashioned recommendation! We truly appreciate all the details you've written about Morgans.

Hope to see you again some day!

DR
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We recently visited New York as part of our Honeymoon trip and stayed at the Morgans.

From the moment we arrived the staff were always very helpful. Our room was upgraded to a suite with views of the Empire State Building........very impressive and one evening on returning to our suite there was a welcome note left with wine and cookies!!

Thank you Morgans.

Overall we loved our stay here and would definitely return..........highly recommended. The only drawback is that there is so much to see and do in New York that you don't spend much time in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J0eMH
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review! It is true that you can spend all day walking and touring the city. Also, with so many museums and shows, you can see something new each time you come here.

It is nice to have a cozy room to return to after a long day in the city!

We look forward to seeing you again!

Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Stayed in suite 1410 for 5 nights in May, got a great deal on Travelzoo ($215/night). One bedroom suite was huge, plenty of windows, lighting, closet space, functional bathroom, plenty of outlets, iPod dock, etc. Room could not have been better. Also, breakfast was fantastic - took advantage every morning (croissants were from Balthazar and were to die for!). Couldn't beat the Empire State views from the penthouse rooftop. Staff was friendly enough, and location was fantastic (we were able to walk everywhere).

I would have given this hotel a much better review if it were not for one very concerning problem. On the third day of our stay, we returned to the hotel after a long day (10+ hours) of being out and about to find our hotel door unlocked and ajar. This was presumably the error of careless cleaning staff, and no doubt an accident. This could have been disastrous, as we had our Macbook, iPhones, iPads, plus all of our newly purchased goods in the room. Luckily, nothing was missing from our hotel room.

What was even more concerning was the lack of response or concern from the staff. We called front desk to notify them and received no apology, no offer to send someone up to check things out, make sure no one was in our room or nothing was missing - just an offer to replace our room keys (what good would this do?). Frustrated, we let this go. However, upon checkout, we brought this up again, and this time the front desk staff did seem more concerned. They put a note on file of the incident, and apologized. This made us question why there hadn’t been any note or indication made in the first place? Not good, ball had been dropped by staff more than once.

Two weeks later, I have noticed two small charges on my Visa. I have had to call the hotel to inquire what they are for, and received and email response indicating them to be the result of local phone calls placed and items missing from the mini fridge. No phone calls were made (even so, there is not any indication anywhere that there is a charge associated with making local phone calls - this seems quite ridiculous), and I know there was nothing taken from the mini fridge. However, is not worth my time to further challenge these.

Ultimately, my experience at the Morgans could have been much better if it hadn't been for this unfortunate instance and the overall poor response of the staff. We were very lucky that nothing was missing from the room - that could have wrecked our trip. Unless another fantastic deal comes up for this hotel, I probably will not be back.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites are huge and bright, 14th floor had very little to no street noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank alijenks
Thank you very much for your review. I do recall this incident - in a small hotel like this, we are normally very aware of everything that goes on. First of all, I am very sorry that you experienced this.

From what I recall, the Front Desk staff told you they were going to conduct a key interrogation. This was done (the interrogation actually records doors opening and closing). The report showed that the Room Attendant actually shut the door because we saw a record of an entry and a departure that corresponded with her paperwork. What we did notice is that the door does not shut completely unless it is pulled shut. Unfortunately, the mechanism was faulty and was fixed. I am very sorry about this.

A word of caution to every guest - these things do happen on occasion in any hotel. It is important that you ensure when you leave the room that the door is completely shut. As you walk away, it may sound like it has shut completely but sometimes it does not. It is by no means your fault, it is up to the hotel to check these things but sometimes it happens during a guest stay. Always check behind you to ensure that your door locks properly. If it does not, please let Management know.

Kind regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We would like to thank Morgans Hotel Madison Ave for full refund due to my wife's illness even though the suite i booked was a non refundable deal,

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you. The most important thing is that your wife is doing better. We hope to see you in the future.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We visited the Morgans briefly before heading to another destination. The hotel is in a great location in midtown. It's walking distance to some fun bars and other restaurants. The bedroom was spacious and modern. The bathrooms were roomy and also had nice amenities. Free breakfast was a plus. I thought the room was a good value for the money. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Value for money is very important these days! I am delighted that you found value in what we offer - the complimentary Continental Breakfast, WIFI and Fitness Center as well as coffee and tea service throughout the day are popular offers for our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again!