“Location and charm”

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #3 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 August 2017

We loved our stay in their "sister" hotel Elysee on the East side so chose Casablanca for a theater visit and were not disappointed. Everyone is courteous and so helpful and the complementary breakfast and afternoon wine/cheese were delicious. And, being upgraded to a suite was just icing on the cake! With great charm, service and location, who could ask for anything more?! We'll be back!

Room Tip: There was some street noise in our street-facing suite which did not bother us but light sleepers mi...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection

Reviewed 11 August 2017

The hotel is a real find. Right off Times Square and yet so quiet and homey. I was upgraded to a suite with two double beds and had to choose which one to sleep on! I usually get dust allergy in the best of hotels but did not get any here, which is a big plus for me. The toiletries were good quality and I was also provided with three bathrobes, perhaps because it was a suite. The high point was the tastefully decorated, old-world cafe that served, other than breakfast, 24/7 coffee, tea, croissants and other nibbles, and wine and cheese in the evenings. All free! They were a saviour after a long day at the Met museum or MoMA. The staff was always prompt and courteous, offering me an umbrella during the rain, and literally so. I would return every evening to find three small dark chocolate bars on the side table between the beds. A sweet gesture. The location is so central. Just four minutes from Broadway and 15 minutes from Empire State Building. Macy's and other shopping destinations are also a few minutes away. I would heavily recommend Casablanca Hotel and hope to visit in future with my family.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I enjoyed to stay in this hotel. It's not a big hotel. But it's most likely the cute one. If you come alone, I highly recommend to use this hotel. It's going to save your time. The service is fantastic.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2017

The Best STAFF & Location you can ask for in New York !! Love the free breakfast & wine & cheese ! Casablanca is always perfect ! love it !! A great hotel for either business or pleasure ! This has been my home away from home for more then 20 years now !

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2017

On the advice of this website which lists The Casablanca as the #3 hotel in NYC, I booked a 3 night stay for the beginning of Oct. Finding I had to be in NY last week, I decided to check it out. Thank goodness I did. When I gave them my credit card at check in I was told $50 would be put on my Visa for incidentals "IN CASE I CHARGED ANYTHING." When I refused, I was told it was hotel chain policy and I could not check in unless I agreed, but not to worry, "IT WOULD BE RETURNED TO MY CARD IN 5-10 BUSINESS DAYS." (Let's do the math on the number of rooms in this hotel and all the other hotels in this chain using $50 per reservation for 5-10 days.) I objected saying there had not been any mention previous to making the reservation. I had no where else to go so I agreed. Add to this that I have pictures I have of the bath tub that would drain for an hour and the shower head that hung limp against the wall. When I checked out, they offered me $100 refund. In my opinion, this did not excuse the hotel chains SLEAZY business practices.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
JohnTaboadaNYC, General Manager at Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear andi s,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay to New York and thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify the credit procedures which as a traveler and a hotelier, I have found uniform throughout the hotel industry. At our hotel, we simply calculate room and tax for your stay and anticipate an additional $50.00 for a one night stay and $100.00 for two nights or more for incidental charges. We then run your card through our processor and get an authorization for that amount from your bank. They in turn place a hold on your available line of credit. This simple procedure protects us financially and releases you from the burden of having to provide a cash deposit to cover incidentals such as restaurant charges, dry cleaning, phone, and room service, etc. After check out, it can take anywhere from 5 to 10 business days for the bank depending on the individual financial institution to release the hold on any unused funds, which in this case would only mean the unused portion held for incidental expenses. Unfortunately, these remaining funds are not credited immediately by the credit card companies; this delay is beyond our control.

We do agree that this policy should be stated on your reservation confirmation and because of your feedback we are working to add this information clearly on all confirmations. If any TripAdvisor members have any further questions regarding this policy, which is customary at most if not all hotels, please feel free to contact me. In reference to the concern with the shower head and bathtub, we did acknowledge that the bathtub was not draining well and rectified the situation. It seems the shower head was positioned at a lower angle than normal. Had you communicated that you needed assistance in adjusting this when the agent came to assist you, we could have taken care of this immediately.

Once again, we are very sorry for the negative experience but still hopeful to have the chance to make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me personally so I can make the arrangements for you. You may reach me at john@casablancahotel.com.

Warm Regards,