New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Sun City West, AZ
“Full of ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Found this hotel on recommendations of other TA uses. From the time we made our reservation, to the time we arrived, we were impressed by the service and ambiance. Although our king room was small , it was spotless, quiet and comfortable. The toiletries arnd linens are excellent, personnel are top-notch. Rick's Cafe where breakfast is served has cold drinks , coffee and cookies available all day, and converts to wine and cheese at 5 pm. On Friday evening there was a piano player. Tony's Restaurant next door is a great Italian restaurant, although it suffers from its popularity resulting it a high noise level. A wonderful stay...thank you Casablanca

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DesertDwellerToo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
North of England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

If staying in the Times Square area is your priority then this is hard to better for location. You might expect it to be noisy but this probably depends on which bedroom you get. Ours was quiet - but no view was the downside. All the free extras are very tempting when deciding on a hotel, though we hardly took advantage of the free wine and cheese in the evening.
We thought the size of the room was OK and the bed was superb. Service was also excellent. The decor, by its very nature is rather dark and a little past its best now.
If you have business to take care of this hotel is probably not the best choice but if you're a tourist and want a central location then this is a fine choice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Johkate
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Casablanca Hotel. We didn't spend much time in Times Square but it was nice to be able to see it without hearing it all night. It's crazy how once you are in the hotel the noise seems to go away...maybe the wine and all the other additions at the Casablanca. We traveled all around the city and just fell in love with NYC...our first time but we will be back. We enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend. This is a delayed review, we stayed in June...I thought I wrote one a while back but didn't want to not have said something about this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I reserved this hotel based on rating, however not read a single review.
Don't be fooled by the high ratings, if this is your first time in New York City and you stay in this motel, most likely you will never return to New York again. I started writing reviews after one terrible stay and made a promise to myself to write review of each hotel I stayed in. In my life time I stayed in 15 five stars hotels in NYC at the same price this hotel charges and in accommodations 10 times larger than the so called mini suit I reserved to stay in this rot.

Four months before my arrival I went on Casablacknca website to book one night stay for Aug2nd to be alone for religious observance on the following morning. I always stay in suits, so I clicked on mini-suit which is their largest accommodation and and that brought me to the calendar page with available dates for that accommodation type. So I clicked on Aug 2nd and I chose prepaid option. I booked one night, paid for it and received confirmation number.

Shortly after I received an e-mail. I looked over the information in the confirmation and noticed that my accommodation is superior king, I immediately phoned the number on the confirmation point out that suit was not specified. The desk clerk told me that superior king is the suit, I asked to reconfirm via email and was told not to worry because superior king is suit and the desk clerk was very nice on the phone.

Few months before checking in, I telephoned and asked to pull my reservation and if possible to write in the preferences to accommodate me on the top floor and in the quit room and away from elevators.

I was looking forward so much to my stay. My husband and I were in the neighborhood while celebrating our 30th in Setai and I were looking for restaurant Dallas and we passed by Casa.. and I told him that this is where I will be on Aug2nd. I walked inside to ask for directions. I introduced myself and mentioned that I will be staying in the suit in about few weeks there, and the man there politely gave me directions I thanked and left. I was so much looking forward to my stay and every so often would look at the photo of the suit.

Few days before my arrival I received a call to confirm that I will be arriving. I missed that call and called right back to confirm my arrival, preferences and asked not to be disturbed until 10:30AM and that I would not be taking any calls. And ask to have breakfast delivered to me at 10:30AM, and was reassured. I also told the person that called me that I will be arriving around midnight and please to hold my suit and not give it away as I will be arriving for sure.

The reason I could only come this late was because I travel with my certified service animal, but since I was planning to stay in and needed to be alone I left him home, but could only leave my home at 11PM since I am not allowed to live him alone for more than 7 hours. My husband was going to be home at 6AM that day so I reserved access-a ride to be picked up 11PM. Unfortunately on that night they didn't have any vehicles available and I had to call 5 black cars to get a ride. I arrived at about 1AM.

I was greeted very well, in fact I am always greeted well anywhere, because of my personality which somehow makes people feel good having to have conversation with me.
So I was given a card to room 501. I was explained where to find elevators and I went up.
One thing I wasn't too crazy about was that the workers at night which were moving dirty laundry were checking me out and when I got out on the 5th floor, it wasn't only spooky, but I didn't feel save and tried to find a room as soon as possible to get inside.

When I walked in, I could not believe it. After all I went through, not only that it wasn't a mini-suit, but the room which bathroom is probably less than 200 sq ft and there were NO WINDOW. NO WINDOW in the room, I couldn't believe it. There was nothing to open other than closet and the bathroom. Room with no window unheard of.

I picked up the phone and dialed front desk. The first thing I said that it wasn't suit, and I was told that all suits were already given away. I also told him that this room has no window, so he told me that he will send a bell man to help me to go back to front desk. I only had a little carry on and after waiting for about 7 minutes desided to come down myself.

I asked the desk clerk, that I called in 2 or 3 times and bagged not to give my suit away and told him to check the recordings of my calls, he apologized. Since I went through so much I told him I will stay in the small room but asked to give me one with window(s) and I was told that this was the only room left and it was reserved especially for me because I asked for quite room. I am a survivor of 911 terrorists attacks and didn't wish to mention that, so I just told him that I am claustrophobic. He told me that I should have mentioned that over the phone and they would reserve me a room with windows. How was I supposed to know I was going to be reserved a room without window.

In any case he offered to me two options to move me into another sister hotel or to go home and the manager will call to rebook for another day due to this circumstances.

At this point it was already 2AM and I had to get up at 6AM and by the time I get there will be another hour with check in. But that's not the only problem, I also had appointment a block away which is OK to go there on my own any farther I would have to be with my service dog.

Since my long awaiting special day was ruined already however sad it made me feel, I decided to take him up on the second option to go back home and wait for manager to call me to re-book my stay for another day.

My reservation for one night was $446 and I was also told by the desk clerk that $446 was not for a suit but for superior king room. When I told him that I was told that that's suit and if he didn't believe me, I told him to listen to the recordings of my conversation over the phone back 4 months when I reserved.

I needed to go outside and get some air prior to taking taxi back home. While standing near the entrance I looked over the immediate area. The hotel is situated on the filthy street with garbage allover. If you don't want to bring back home with you 2 inches huge cockroaches with you, think twice before booking here. I was standing froze and was afraid to move, I have never seen anything like this, I wasn't sure if they fly or jump, I was so grossed up that I would probably not even eat at this joint, ooh just thinking about it.

The next day manager didn't call. So I called and ask to speak to the manager. The manager immediately became on offensive with me after I mentioned my name. He had no intention of rectifying the situation and told me that he will not do anything for me because he could have kept that room for another guest. What guest?! What another guest would want to stay in the closet size room without window is like sleeping in the coffin. Who does this? I probably stayed in 100 hotels in my life time,never had given a key to the room without window. He had no intention to remedy the situation and was accusing me of things which were not true and I really didn't have energy or desire of proving anything as the entire situation was so below me. The manager lacked manners and sounded colloquial and immature, definitely lacked professionalism and the conversation wasn't going anywhere other than he was complaining of having to have lost money. Exactly how? I didn't get the room I reserved, I would stay in any room, but it would have to have at least one window.

It wasn't I, who offered the options to go back home and call back to rebook another day, so how is it I am at fault? I had to pay $40 on top of my $446 which I would not have to do as the next day I would have been going home with access a ride instead of taxi.

I think that trip adviser should seriously investigate these reviews. So many beautiful hotels in New York City with specious rooms and absolutely out of this world staff and service. Seriously, this is number one on TripAdvisor? NYC will lose tourism because of this joint. Don't get mesmerized by the name either, because I did and what an experience that was.

I will be reporting this incident anywhere I can. This is not right. No tourist should ever go through such experience anywhere.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
27 Thank et49589
Garret C, VP Library Hotel Collection at Casablanca Hotel Times Square, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear TripAdvisor members,

I have contacted this guest and thoroughly investigated the situation to determine if there is any merit to these accusations. After careful consideration, we determined that due to the personal nature and inconsistencies written here, it might be inappropriate to publically disclose extensive details here, but if anyone has any questions or concerns I would welcome you to contact me personally. Suffice it to say that while we do not boast views, every room has a window, in fact there are two, one the room and one in the bathroom as well. Also, if you make a reservation, the room we will hold for you is the one specified on your confirmation which you will find described authentically and in great detail on our website. If you have any special needs, such as a room with a view of the moon, it is best to tell us in advance so that we can let you know upfront if we are unable meet your request. Our reputation and your complete satisfaction are our top priorities and we would rather direct you to a more appropriate selection than have you disappointed with your experience.

Garret Corcoran,
garret@booklhc.com
212-201-1155

PS The primary image for our hotel on TripAdvisor is in fact room 501 and you can see the window there for yourself with the lovely wooden shutters right between the bed and the bathroom.
Eden, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed a week in this Hotel mid June and were not disappointed.
The location is superb if you want to be right in the thick of it, step outside the door and you are literally in times square.
Rooms - Yeah they are small but do not lack anything, beds are super comfy and rooms well appointed.
Breakfast - Great continental choices with lots of fresh fruit :)
Wine and Cheese each evening - Great opportunity to enjoy local wine and nibbles, and meet new folks if that is what you like to do .Staff are great, very accommodating and nothing is to much trouble.

Free Computer access and printer is located in Rick's cafe and a good resource for trip planning etc.

Eating tip !

We had the best food ever at Tony's Restaurant just beside the Hotel, a great family restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere, character and charm.Customer service was fantastic as well, excellent meals (antipasto seafood entree and the Tiramasu was to die for !) and huge servings. They are very reasonably priced. . we went there many times during our stay as it was so Yummy !

Only negative during our stay was that we could hear a fair amount of noise at night when the garbage collection trucks did their rounds... small price to pay for a great stay ! Thanks

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel to avoid 'Garbage Truck noise' late at night
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple