“Another great visit”

Ranked #3 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Gillette, Wyoming
“Another great visit”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I stayed at the Casablanca last June and this year provided the same great experience and service. Since the property changed ownership (now part of the Library group) it seems they are trying harder than ever to keep up their reputation and high standards. Yes, the rooms are a bit small, but the common area is more than comfortable and really, you don't spend much time in the room...it's New York!! Such a convenient location. Bryant Park is a gem and only a short walk away.

1 Thank razorcityrunner
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
Philly, PA
Reviewed 5 July 2012

As it says in the title, this was my first trip to NYC so I literally booked this hotel because it was #1 on Trip Advisor and I was clueless about anything in NYC.
We drove in from Philly and used the Myers parking. The hotel will validate parking and it a pretty big discount at $25 a day. However, all over the hotels website it says "self parking". This is not a self parking garage. The attendant will take your car. I was unprepared for this!! So I just wanted to note it here to help anyone else.
We arrived at around 11 am. We were unable to get into our room early. We had a king bed room and it was adorable. I loved it. The room and hotel were very clean. My air conditioner worked great. We cranked it to 67 degrees so Im sure it was working hard, but the room was nice and cool when we got back in from the 90+ degree weather. The drinks/snacks in Ricks cafe were awesome. I hadnt planned on ever eating there, but it really was high quality and convienent.
There are ice buckets in the room, but you have to call the front desk to get ice. That was a little odd.
The only real negative was that I booked the room under Expedia. Two nights was $722 dollars. All paid well in advance. When I got home from the hotel, there was almost 1100 dollars in pending charges on my credit card. I was shocked!! This seems EXTREMELY excessive, so much so that I had to call to confirm that they were indeed just pending charges. I did not read anywhere on expedia that this would happen and I am guessing that it was because I booked through that site, but wow. If you have a small credit line please beware. That was a huge shocker.

Now on to the AMAZING aspects of this hotel. It is the greatest hotel location I can imagine. You can go out and about and easily stop back in for bathroom, dropping off bags, etc. It was so close to public transportation and all the happenings. The location alone is worth the cost.
My room was completely silent. I have no idea how seeing as how it is so close to the mania going on outside. In fact, the morning I checked out there was a huge storm. I walked outside and said "It rained?!?!?!" I had no idea. Amazing.
So next time I will book through the hotels site to avoid those insane pending charges. And I will definitely be back. Seriously, the location can not be beat.

4 Thank MarieIKR
, General Manager at Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear MarieIKR,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing the Casablanca Hotel. We were especially pleased to hear your feedback on our location and the room we chose for you. Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the large hold we placed on your credit card. This was done in error and should have been applied only to a reservation that was not pre-paid. In your case, only $50.00 per day should have been authorized on your credit card to cover any incidental charges. To clarify, this is not a charge but a hold, which is standard procedure that credit card companies require hotels perform to facilitate payment upon check-out. This frees our guests from the burdensome procedures of the past, like mailing in a check as a deposit to guarantee a booking. I have shared your experience with the front office team and reiterated our standard procedures, so this particular experience may never happen again. Your feedback helps illustrate to the staff how a rare or seemingly small error can have a negative impact on a guests experience, which we care so deeply about. Of course we would love for everyone to book directly on our site and the TripAdvisor member deal listed here is the best but this error should not have happened, regardless of how your reservation was made.

Thank you as well for detailing the parking situation. We do not valet park the cars; the guests must go to the garage adjacent to the hotel themselves, but yes, when you get there, the garage staff will drive your car to an available spot.

It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we look forward to your next visit!

John Taboada
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2012

After ready up on this Hotel and the reviews it lived up to all that i expected and more . the Brooklyn dinner . and Tony,s were both great places to eat but a word of WARNING the family dinning in Tonys i would say make sure you don't over order the size of a meal for two would feed 5/6 very easy . and was a fantastic Italian restaurant you must go there . and the staff in all the above are very helpful

Room Tip: we did stay in the larger suite
springfield
Reviewed 4 July 2012

we loved staying at casablanca hotel! rick's cafe was awesome...great refreshments 24/7 and breakfast! especially loved the espresso machine! manager, and all staff, very personable & accommodating! room was immaculate...slept very well...very quiet for new york...i was surprised! just absolutely quaint and charming..a total surprise! room was big enough for the two of us..nicely arranged..bath was small but immaculate..bed comfortable...we would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: 2nd floor great..can walk down quickly if you like to use stairs!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ccasewilson
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My wife and I spend occasional weekends in NYC - usually trying different boutique hotels - sometimes sans kids - sometimes as a family trip. We have stayed at this hotel in the past and have suggested it to family and friends visiting NYC. All have been very pleased. I noticed the last time I stayed there (few years ago) that it could use a little updating. We spent last weekend in NYC with 3 teens and tried the Casablanca again. It was awesome. They have updated it since our last visit and the suites are clean, big, fresh and comfortable.

We always get a double-double suite. Two double beds and a fold out sofa makes many arrangements work (2 parents, 2 kids, grandparent OR 2 parents, 3 kids, etc). It just always works.

The staff is the best. Arrive early and they will keep your bags for you. Check out and they will hold your bags until you are ready to leave the city. There is a parking garage next door and the hotel will validate the ticket (don't forget to have them validate!) and it will save you more than half. I paid $50 for two days of parking. You can't get that anywhere in NYC.

You also can't beat the free continental breakfast in the morning and the free wine, cheese and snacks in the afternoon after beating the streets all day. It's just to relaxing to describe. No large crowds, no hustle and bustle - it's every reason we prefer tiny hotels and the Casablanca does it to perfection. Years ago this hotel was the best kept secret. Now everybody knows about it and rooms are a little hard to get - especially during the tourist seasons (summer - christmas - new years).

I was very happy to see the fresh updates and I already have sent two other couples there for this summer. You will be amazed that such a quaint, quiet, peaceful place exist in Times Square. If you are planning ahead for a NYC trip, rooms are not always easy to get, so book early. I recommend calling and talking to staff, as they can often get a better feel for what you need and are very helpful. It's not like calling a large chain (ala Marriott, Hilton, etc) where the booking agent is not even at the hotel you are interested in.

Don't get me wrong - I also use large hotels (like the Marriott Marquis) for different purposes, but if you are looking for a peaceful, more personal and quaint feel after spending so much time in crowds, lines, shopping, etc. then this is your place. It is also quiet and romantic for a couple wanting to get away to NYC.

Thanks again Casablanca for another perfect weekend stay!

Room Tip: This is a small hotel swallowed by a big city, so there are no rooms with a "view"
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family