“Sceptic about reviews proven wrong - great hotel in a fantastic place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #3 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Sceptic about reviews proven wrong - great hotel in a fantastic place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

As a regular traveller I often use review sites to gain an insight into the location / hotel I am about to book and to be honest always take reviews with a pinch of salt. In some cases the Casablanca reviews seemed too good to be true but with the odd 'poorer' review thrown in we decided to give it a go as 2000+ positive reviews couldn't be wrong could they?

Pre-checkin I mailed the hotel a couple of days prior to arrival (using an email address I'd seen on trip advisor in one of the responses) as we would be arriving late in the evening and wanted to ensure that we didn't risk the hotel releasing our room. Within minutes I had a response confirming our booking and that the room would be held and that they'd do everything possible to cater for our request for a room at the rear of the hotel.

On arrival we were met with pleasant staff from the minute we walked through the door, reception quickly confirmed our details, even referred to the mail I'd sent earlier in the week and had the bell boy move our cases to our room.

A quick elevator ride to the 5th floor found us in room 510 a king size room. OK first impression, we are away from the lifts as a number of reviews recommended so that is good - on entering the room WOW. Great sized room, plenty of storage space with good size plasma TV not that we watched much other than checking the weather first thing in the morning (channel 34). In room safe was a good size and ample for all our valuables etc. There were two complimentary bottles of water on arrival and a couple of chocolates on the pillow which were replaced each evening as part of turndown service.

No coffee making facilities or a fridge but both available for in-room should you request at reception.

The view from the window was not great but as expected as we'd requested a room at the rear but again 5 floors up in manhattan do you really expect to have a view of the empire state? The window also housed the air-con unit which again as per other reviews was a little 'rattlely' when running at full cooling mode - we just had the cooler on during the early evening to ensure a cool room then turned it off at night and relied on the ceiling fan which was whisper quiet and very welcome.

Bathroom was a good size with the usual mod cons and lots of towels including a 'black makeup' towel which my partner said was a good idea to stop other lighter towels becoming marked. Only down side of the bathroom was probably a lack of personal storage such as a shelf was the ones they provide we're filled with towels, complementary products, glasses, tissues etc.

Rick's cafe was great (all included in the price) - breakfast comprised of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals, bagels, etc and the staff could not do enough to help you. The room is not massive but we didn't struggle to find a table at time we visited. Later in the evening they served wine and cheeses alonwith other welcome snacks after a day touring the city, the staff served your wine whilst you helped yourselves to nibbles etc. For New York this was a welcome addition for us, having previously toured the city for different places to eat breakfast.

Location wise you could not complain being just seconds from times square we could be out the hotel door and in the 42nd street subway in under 60 seconds without rushing! Very little noise could be heard from the room from times square or the immediate area and the only annoyance was a bell the would go off every now and then that we even forgot to ask reception what it was! Reception/Door staff always bid you a good morning/afternoon/evening when leaving and welcomed you back on return - another little nicety.

Would definitely recommend the Casablanca and will stay again if we (when) return to New York.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TrickyTown
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

Stayed for 5 nites in a Deluxe Room with King Bed. Great location, wonderful to have breakfast and wine/snack in later afternoon. Staff were friendly, clean and warm environment. Wonderful location however can be noisy throughout the nite depending on activity on the street. John and the staff outstanding.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy K
Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

We had a really nice stay at the Casablanca during the early part of June, in room 305.

I have to say that I was expecting a wow factor from the number one rated hotel in Manhattan and I was a little disappointed from that perspective. I'm not sure it is the fault of the hotel as the TA rating is not rating opulance but the overall experience. Anyway, be aware that this is a small boutique hotel and the facilities are limited compared to the larger hotels.

Firstly the positives. A really quiet hotel in the middle of what is the utter madness of Times Square! We did find the hotel a real oasis in that respect. The location is amazing, literally on Times Square, very close to the subway and near restaurants and the Broadway shows (we went to see Mary Poppins, amazing!!).

The hotel was in very good decorative order, all nicely furnished and very tasteful in a northern Africa way - particularly Rik's bar. The staff are really good too, very polite and attentive. Our room was in good order too, although we did think it was a little small and there was no chest of draws, only a wardrobe.

As I mentioned Rik's bar has a nice relaxing feel with a north African feel. There is complimentary tea, coffee and wine everyday with nibbles (cheese, biscuits, fruit and pastries). This is all really welcoming after a hard days sightseeing in NY. To be honest there isn't really anything else to the hotel except the rooms and Rik's bar, it is a relatively small hotel and Rik's bar does't actually have a bar either.

So as you can probably tell there are a few negatives. Firstly as I said, I was wow'ed by the hotel. Our room was small and I thought quite plain. But probably worst of all was that there was only one small window which faced towards the rear of the hotel. Clearly there was no view so the window was frosted. So to be honest we were almost without any natural light in our room. This was disappointing but I also realise that a street facing room would probably also be more noisy. I also though the room was small, but this was NY after all......

The hotel did provide breakfast but my wife and I didn't think it was very good. There was nothing hot, just cereals, fruits, pastries and yogurts. It was supposed to be continental but beagles are not continental and there were no hams or cheese. It was also provided in Rik's bar which was fine for a glass of wine and a nibble on a relaxing sofa and glass coffee table, but not for breakfast! Also and I realise this may only be me, but every time I was in Rik's bar, the television was on, and quite loud too. I don't want to eat y breakfast on a sofa with a coffee table with the television, to be honest I do that at home. To be fair there are two tables in Rik's bar but at breakfast they were always taken.

Lastly, I read other reviews who complained about paying $300 per night for this hotel, well we paid £300 per night, admittedly we booked via Expedia so this is not the hotels fault. This maybe good value in NY, I don't know, but it seemed like a lot of money for this hotel.

It sounds like I'm rather negative about this hotel but actually it is a really nice hotel, I just felt that it was a lot of money for a plain room with almost no natural light and a very average breakfast. But the staff were excellent, the hotel was in good decorative order and the evening drinks and nibbles were are really nice touch. NY is hectic and the Casablanca was a very relaxing hotel.

I think the hotel will suffer a little from it's own success, as the number one rated hotel I was expecting more. I'm not sure that's fair on the hotel and I have only previously stayed at the Wellington and the Casablanca is certainly a lot better than that hotel. Would I recommend it, yes definitely but don't expect opulence and luxury, the Casablanca is a nice, relaxing hotel in the perfect location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank whitmore_fan
Hurricane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012 via mobile

This is our 2nd stay at Casablanca 1st with kids (3 to be exact) and is was just as wonderful as the first time. The rooms, location and value were great. But the service is outstanding! Every morning the breakfast staff greeted us and know what we wanted by the end if our stay. Loved it!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in April in a Deluxe Room with Queen Bed and found it to be a lovely hotel. We asked for a quiet room and got one. It had no view but we knew that. Rooms are not huge but quite adequate with everything we needed. The hotel is just a few doors away from Times Square and a great central location. It has a lovely quaint 'times gone by' feel about it. Of course the complimentary breakfast and wine and cheese evenings are a bonus and a great way to meet other travellers. The staff at the reception desk went out of their way to search for a shop that sold a particular item of clothing my partner was having difficulties finding. Nothing was too much trouble. Recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple