“Truly Exceptional”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Truly Exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I really don't know how the Thompson LES has only received 4 circles out of 5 as it might have been my best hotel stay ever.

For starters, the staff is beyond accommodating and really adept at providing service... but in this really smooth, background manner. For example:

1) I had cabbed it in from JFK, and after settling the fare with the cabby, went to remove my luggage from the trunk. Except it wasn't there. I hadn't noticed this as it was occurring, but apparently as I was settling my fare, the doorman/bellhop had already taken it out and brought it into the lobby where it was waiting for me.

2) I'd met up with a large group of friends for lunch, and we decided to bring the group back to the hotel to enjoy the view from my terrace and get some sun. So, impromptu party... which required ice. When I phoned room service asking for some, I was expecting one of those little chrome ice buckets that are standard. Instead, I went back inside, the bottled alcohol we'd had out, along with some beers, had been placed into these large sized ice containers, on a nice tray, with stacks of more glassware. Without me noticing (I'd been on the terrace outside), someone had set this up, and now my coffee table literally looked like bottle service at the club.

In addition to the staff, the view from my 15th floor terrace was jaw-dropping. I was just in the city to see NYC friends, and everyone I had over was gushing about the view. And this was after having (rooftop) bar-hopped the previous night, so you'd think they'd be desensitized to it, but no. Granted, I paid out the nose for a terrace suite, but it was worth it.

Initially, the LES location seemed far removed from all that is Midtown, but Midtown's only a $10-$15 cab ride away, and every night, we somehow ended up back in the LES anyway so the hotel's location ended up being perfect. Plus, it was cool to walk around the neighborhood and see a more authentic part of the city rather than all of the tourist-oriented, chain stuff in Midtown.

Room Tip: Terrace suites are expensive, but the views and vibe are worth it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank johnmatthewsinla
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I checked into the thompson les hotel mid week. Linda at the front desk is the most helpful person I have ever met. She helped make my friends birthday very special. She helped suggest restaurants and was very patient with directions. All and all the thompson is great. I will stay here again and recommend you do the same if ever in NYC

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Montrealfoodies
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Arrived at this hotel,located opposite building SITE,was not impressed!!!
Rooms are very small,for the money.It does not deliver.

Justina,was very PUSHY<insisted 4 times ,i give her my credit card details,before viewing the room.One night was already pre-paid!I I said not until i have seen the room.She got very argumentative at this point,even more rude and insulting.In the lift,when on the way to view the room. ,When i questioned her aggressive pushy manner,she said,"im not pushy.Are you well"??Is this how you speak to customers in the hospitality industry that relies on re-trade!!!??My friend says she was scared to answer her back!!!Her behaviour and attitide did not sit well with me,told her that!!We left the hotel ,after 1 night,the lack of polite service was the reason,not to stay!!!

The room was poor standard,the restaurant ,after 2 hours,vomitted the meal up.I have not been sick by food for at least ten years.BE weary of this.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank cey k
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Had to book a place last minute for work and found the Thompson LES by accident. Ended up being a great decision -- they upgraded my room (to the Penthouse) and provided excellent service. Will definitely head back there the next time I have business in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room if they are available.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JBone614
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week on Wednesday night. Almost every hotel in NY was sold out by the time I made my reservation, and what was left were being offered at absurd prices, even for NY (eg - the Sheraton TriBeCa for $995/night).

I was able to book one of the last rooms at Thompson LES for $450, which was very reasonable. I booked a room with a queen size bed - at check in I was told that I was upgraded to a much bigger double room. The front desk staff last Wednesday night were extremely courteous and helpful, as was Dake, who was there when I checked out Thursday morning. The two bellman working Thursday morning were also extremely nice, and worked very hard to get me a taxi.

Pros: beautiful rooms, cool vibe, great sushi restaurant, really cool outdoor pool and bar, and extremely nice staff.

Cons: very difficult to get a cab in rush hour, the minibar pricing and room service pricing was ridiculous ($10 for a bottle of water).

I would definitely stay there again and have already suggested it to some of my colleagues.

• Stayed May 2012