“Totally comfortable and hip at same time”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #219 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Been here twice in two weeks. First time had corner suite w balcony. Great rain forest shower heads. Second time had regular king, still spacious with window that opens. Hardwood floors, great down comforters and flat screen TV. Awesome deck on 7th, and bar on 16th floors. Room service prompt, staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Gbrant

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed there only one night.
I checked into my room and ordered dinner to the room service: it never arrived.
The morning after I ordered a latte: the room service was not able to provide sweetener, so I had to go to the restaurant.
I had to wait for a purchase I had made to be delivered to finish packing. I impatiently tracked the courier, and the delivery had been made in my name at the hotel at 9.30 AM. I had to call the concierge three times: they finally brought it to my room at 1 PM.
When I complained at checkout I was told that, as an apology, they would not charge me the extras (the minibar which had been my dinner since the real one had not been delivered).
Days after, my card was charged for a random amount, which could have been the «we won't charge you as an apology» extras or the «we won't charge you since it is our fault» late checkout.
I emailed the hotel to ask at least for an invoice for whatever it was they had pretended not to want me to pay. They never replied.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank Guia S
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed over Easter weekend. First, the highlights: great location, cool, modern decor, and I can't say enough about the front door and bell staff, who did things like run ahead of us and punch the elevator floors for us (the elevator requires a room key inserted, which is a hassle if you have your hands full). Our tiny room had huge windows and a great view of lower Manhattan and a few buildings to the north if we stood in the corner. Shower was good and they were prompt if we called for any service item. Overall, it felt like this was a brand new hotel and they still had some kinks and inconsistencies to work out.

The lowlights: twice during our stay they forgot to give us enough towels (just the basics, we don't need a ton of towels) and we had to call down for more. The pillows were so uncomfortable that I am $200 into massage therapy to fix my neck since I returned home. And when we arrived, the shower drain was full of brown hair (neither of us is a brunette). Also, the street can be loud, even from the upper floors you can hear horns honking and trucks lumbering by.

The weirdest service problem of all: we asked someone at the front desk to make a brunch reservation for us - no one was at the concierge desk, so we slid down and asked a front desk clerk. He took down our info and began making some inquiries by phone. We left him to it, and came back 15 minutes later - this time there was a woman at the concierge stand. We explained someone was working on a brunch reservation and she told us that was not possible, she was the only concierge on duty. We described the person we had spoken with as a blond front desk guy and she was absolutely insistent that the hotel has no blond male employees. (Of course he was nowhere to be found at that moment.) She would not let it go until we admitted that we had spoken to the wrong person, and until we said he was clearly not a hotel employee. I guess the implication here was that this was some nut jobber who had just wandered behind the desk in a full hotel uniform and helped people with brunch reservations? She was pretty adamant that we agree this was our mistake and that no such employee existed. And then she asked us to start all over on the brunch reservation with her since that desk clerk would not have made any reservations on our behalf, with him not being a hotel employee and whatnot. It was totally odd, her absolute no-argument stance that this guy was not on the staff and would not have helped us. The kicker is that of course, that blond front desk guy (Sebastian, I made sure to get his name the next time I saw him) was on duty behind the front desk on and off for the remainder of our stay - he clearly works there. So either we have a concierge having a really craptastic customer service moment with us or they frequently allow Sebastian the non-employee behind their front desk to interact with guests and then chastise the guests for it. This was an isolated issue with that concierge team member, the rest of the concierge staff was great with printing boarding passes, directions, recommendations, etc. but that's unfortunately the story we'll tell about this hotel when we talk about the trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank SFSpee
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We travel a great deal around the world and have experienced many good hotels. Sadly this was not one to add to that list. Great location.
Room small, unclean and poorly maintained. Staff were not clued up on the hotel services - telling us bars were open when they were not AND telling us restaurants were closed when they were open.
Delays in room service and my car being left for hours on the street instead of being garaged by valet typified the one night stay.
Very over-rated

Room Tip: Consider another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RoamingBrit007
Tania G, General Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear RoamingBrit007,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience here at the Thompson LES. I am disappointed to learn of our shortcomings during your visit. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the confusions about our food and beverage outlets. Our restaurant just underwent a major renovation and was not fully operating while you were here. This is no excuse though to the lack of information of our team. Rest assured, we have addressed in details and retrained our team members.
The service lapses you experienced are not only unacceptable but contrary to the high standards we strive to achieve on a daily basis. I would personally welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further with you, and invite you to contact me directly.
Thank you very much.

Tania Getzova
Thompson LES

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I really couldn't fault the staff at this hotel - they were incredibly helpful and polite but not too 'in your face'.

The rooms are really big by NY standard and location is great for Broadway and the LES. I didn't go in the pool but that's a big bonus for summer.

I personally had a room with an adjoining door to another room and I could hear everything from the next room which I found a bit annoying. Everything from their shower to what they were talking about.

The rooms feel a bit dark and the space could be better laid out I think. Everything felt a bit dated compared to the other Thompson hotels I've stayed in.

Overall really good but not amazing! The staff made up for what the room lacked.

Room Tip: Pick high-up and not a room with an adjoining door.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business