New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Summary

Good courteous staff. Responsive service. Great location. Very small room, view was of another hotel's hall way, bathroom Shower pressure was too low for me.

Full Review

This hotel is in the quieter part of midtown Manhattan which I found refreshing. If you are spending the weekend in Manhattan fighting through foot traffic in Time Square, it is always nice to be able to retire to a quieter area (once businesses close for the day).

It's sitting right on a Subway line which is great and there are Taxis waiting in the mornings so it's not so quiet at night that you have to walk forever to get to public transportation.

The room

It was on the small side which I guess should be expected given that this is Manhattan. Internet access was free which is not always the case at 4-star(?) hotels. There was no view from my room and the adjacent property was close enough so that I was able to make eye contact with people in it. All in all, the room was modern, well-laid out but again, very tiny.

The bathroom

Well, it only had a shower. Being easy to please, I had no issue with this. What I had a huge problem with is the low, very low shower pressure. It was especially disappointing because the shower head looked huge which leads one to assume the pressure will be industrial grade (good enough to wash an elephant let's say) but alas, it was only a few shades better than trickles.

Room Tip: Not sure but if you get 903, request something else.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gabriel S
Hello There Ayo S,

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your experience at W New York. We're thrilled that you enjoyed our courteous staff, responsive service, and perfect location! We take our guest feedback very seriously and we are also grateful for bringing to our attention some of the inconveniences you encountered as well. I have notified our management team so that we can work to rectify these challenges.

We hope to welcome you back again!

Best,
Guest Service Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guilford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

From the location, to the warm welcome and kind words plus bubbly for our 30th anniversary, we couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. The room was great and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite, so plenty of space, with comfortable space-age sofas for lounging around drinking the aforementioned bubbly! The staff was genuinely friendly and concerned that your visit was going well, which it certainly was. There was a deluge of rain Saturday night after we went to a Broadway show (only a short walk from the hotel), so we ate and drank in the hotel bar. Great bar food, fabulous sliders, pizza and drinks.
A great trip made even better thanks to Nicole and the amazing W staff!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello Susan!

Thank you so much for your kind and gracious words. We love having you a part of the W New York family and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cheers,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

I found the accommodations nothing short of spectacular. I booked a reservation for Friday to Sunday to visit the city with my girlfriend on one of the discount travel sites. I had stayed at the W in Miami and DC numerous times however I was admittedly a little concerned based on some of the reviews on this site. But as soon as I arrived those concerns were alleviated. The hotel is in a wonderful central location to everything a tourist like myself wants to see. The look and feel is very modern and chic and while the lobby can be packed at times with people coming and going or hanging out in the "Living Room" the ambience is more excitement than crowded nervous energy. We checked in at 3:15pm Friday, there was no wait and despite having originally having a "Cozy room" reservation we were upgraded to levels to a "Spectacular room" because of my Starwood Preferred Guest status. We stayed on the 18th floor and while the view wasn't anything to write home about, it wasn't bad either.

The room was clean, the bathroom was spotless. The accommodations weren't huge but they were comfortable. The bed was wonderfully comfortable with perfect firmness. We had a little issue with our IPod dock not having any cords but they came up within 10 mins and fixed it. Most of all I was impressed with the staffs pleasant friendly attitude and ability to go the extra mile in making you feel truly welcomed. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed April 2012
Sun Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

Awesome accommodations. In NYC for business, but stayed the weekend and managed to enjoy a bit of the city.

The hotel room was wonderful for work, and offered a quiet, comfortable retreat from a rather hectic business schedule. There were plenty of outlets for the requisite wall-warts I travel with, and room to stretch out.

The only negatives were (1) the lack of in-room coffee, for those early morning calls. There wasn't really any coffee in the lobby except the expensive vendor at the bar. Many other W hotels offer this gratis for clients. The 2nd negative was (2) expensive wifi access in the room, even for SPG frequent sleepersss. The Marriott does better with this.

Terrific, friendly doormen and easy access to the subway and cabs.
A great place to stay.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Allan B
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The W Hotel on Lexington Ave, right next to the Waldorf Astoria, offers a safe neighborhood at a fair price for a NYC hotel. The rooms are well designed and the Bliss toiletries transform your shower into a spa. The W prides itself on superior service, but the service varied depending on the individual W employee encountered. Upon arrival, the doorman was more interested in shoving people into my arriving taxi than welcoming a new guest to the hotel. My luggage was literally left in the street. So I moved my luggage to the sidewalk and went to enter the hotel. When a second doorman asked if I needed help with my luggage, I said thanks and I had it, but also turned to the first doorman and said that he should have assisted me instead of shoving people into my arriving cab and also leaving my luggage in the street. He said I looked like I did not want any help. When I said this was not true, he said that I was wrong. I smiled and walked into the lobby. The second doorman followed me into the hotel and said he felt sorry that I had misunderstood what took place just moments ago. Are you kidding me??? By contrast, the concierge, check in staff, lobby security, breakfast bar personnel, and spa associates were very nice and looked for opportunites to shine. In particular, the gentleman who checked me into my room at the front desk was very welcoming, knowledgable of the best routes to my destinations, and he even provided two bottles of complimentary water. Now that was very nice and also unexpected. After checking into my room, I received a handwritten note, cheese plate and bottle of red wine from the offending doorman, but he mentioned in the note that I was responsible for the miscommunication that took place upon arrival to the hotel. This shocking sentence was followed up by an offer to let him know if there was anything he could do to make my stay more enjoyable. How inappropriate. As I was staying a few nights, I encountered him numerous times and overall I felt uneasy. To be polite, I did say that I received his note. Ironically, the same doorman was there when I checked out of the W. After he called a cab for me, I definitely turned around to ensure that my luggage was successfully placed into the trunk and not left in the street. He did, however, break my luggage tag. So thanks, C the Doorman (full name withheld for his privacy), for making a memorable arrival and departure from the W. Everything else was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor, same as the gym and the spa, where the rooms have great views and are a bit l...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
wnewyork541, Manager at W New York, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at W New York. At W, we strive to uphold a high uality of service which should be executed with consistency. We apologize that we may have fallen short of delivering a true Whatever Whenever experience to you. Please know we are addressing your concerns so that something like this does not happen again.

Many thanks,