1,689 results
All reviews upper west side manhattan diner subway station express train central park new york columbia university times square private bathroom fridge and microwave shared bath drug store budget hotel junior suite priced hotel few blocks coffee maker
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Was rarely in the room due to work and sightseeing. Thought the hotel seemed clean although a bit outdated. The day before checkout I found bedbug bites popping up all over my body. Two days later they’re still popping up (can take 14 days to see a reaction), legs, arms, fingers and now my face. Without this nightmare I would’ve rated the hotel much higher.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
7  Thank cabo3
Management response:Responded 24 July 2018

Dear Guest. We are terribly sorry to hear about your experience at Hotel Newton. Immediately upon seeing your review we scheduled for our extermination company to come to the hotel and analyze the situation. After conducting two tests they concluded that no bed bugs (or any insects) were found in the room. Our extermination company visits the hotel twice monthly and inspects all rooms at the hotel to ensure that the entire property is completely free of any insects. We can assure you that the reaction you experienced was not a result of bed bugs at Hotel Newton. Moreover, all of our mattresses have covers that especially protect against bed bugs (and dust, mites, liquids). Again, we apologize for your experience. If there is anything we can do to help please call the hotel and we will do our best to provide you with exceptional service.

Reviewed 13 July 2018

The Hotel Newton is in an excellent location to get you out the bizz of times square. Friendly, helpful staff compliment front of house. Carpets and décor are a bit dated, however the hotel and rooms are clean and spacious. Myself and my daughter stayed here for her 21st birthday and as soon as we arrived and they checked our passports they wished her a happy birthday and upgraded our room to a double queen room, so we had a queen size bed each. I would stay here again.

Room tip: It's always worth asking for an upgrade and if they can they will, no quibble.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest.
Thank you for staying at The Hotel Newton. We appreciate your feedback we do hope you come back stay with us the hote in your next visit.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Hotel Newton is in a good location very close to the subway which made travel easy. It was perfect for one person, but it would have been a little crowded for two- mostly because of the bathroom size. However, if you are just coming and going and need a place to sleep, it definitely works-especially when comparing the prices of hotels in NYC.

Room tip: Make sure to book a room that has a bathroom attached.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Guest.

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Newton. We appreciate your feedback and will do our best to improve the accomodations for your next visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

The hotel is in a really good position close to a subway station, and the rooms are pretty clean.

We realized when we arrived at the hotel that we booked a room without a bathroom, but with a shared one. This was mostly our fault for not checking it, but we never had an hotel room without a bathroom before.
The wifi wasn’t free so we didn’t use it.
The bed was small and a bit uncomfortable, also very squeaky.

For the price we paid and the position, this is still a pretty good deal for New York. Just make sure to check that you don’t have a shared bathroom!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank eelii

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I'm happy I found the Hotel Newton. I needed a place to stay in Manhattan for five nights. While still costly for sure, it's a notch below many of the other middle of the road hotels. Location is fabulous - 95th and B'way, right by the 96th Street subway station with both express (2,3) and local (1) trains. Great walkable neighborhood with tons of restaurants, coffee stops, nearby parks, houses of worship. Safe area.

The hotel - very pleasant check in process. They allowed me to go to my room three hours before check in time, which was a godsend. The room I had is TINY - like postage stamp tiny - but clean and had everything I needed, including a fridge and microwave (bonus!). The daily maid service was appreciated and the room really was cleaner an nicer than I anticipated it might be. Wifi is available in packages, depending on how many days you need it, and the fees were reasonable. Helpful front desk staff when I needed advice on a subway route for a dinner in a different area of town.

Pretty straightforward, no-frills kind of place. I don't see a playroom, a swimming pool, a gym....really NO amenities. But I was okay with that. Also, my room had no view to speak of.

A few drawbacks:

1) I never saw any security personnel as I came in and out of the hotel all week long. Nobody checked for room keys, nobody seemed to be guarding the door. Even though it's a safe area, I would have appreciated the visible presence of some security personnel and protocol, such as a room key check before getting into elevator.

2) Totally minor but the toiletries SUCK - bring your own shampoo and even hand soap if you can. They are of the lowest quality. BAD.

3) The window AC unit is NOISY. It's so noisy that I had trouble hearing dialogue on the TV without really turning up the volume. But at least the AC worked well in terms of climate control!

4) The WIFI went out, building-wide, for a day or so. That was a bummer, especially with work to do on the computer.

All in all, this is a great option for individuals, couples or families on a budget who want to be in Manhattan. I would stay again. Thank you, Hotel Newton! (get some better toiletries and it will be even better! : )

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank bkramer947
Dana H, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Dear Guest.

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Newton. We appreciate your feedback we are very happy to hear your find all the location close to you and we appreciate the feedback on the staff and in the room, we do apologies for issue that occuer with the wifi and will do our best to improve the accommodations for your next visit.