“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #270 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This New York City hotel located in Chelsea may only rate two stars but the location makes up for the outdated decor.

I can mostly say positive things about this hotel. I am a firm believer that when going to New York you shouldn't be spending too much time in your room. My basic requirements are a clean room, working temperature control and working plumbing ( I do not want to be fiddling with trying to get my shower to work). The Chelsea Savoy Hotel meets these requirements.

The Chelsea Savoy is in perfect location - inbetween uptown and downtown which makes cab rides fairly inexpensive and if you choose not to take a cab there a several subway lines in walking distance.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cat241
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed here several years ago and liked it, but recently tried to book again. They don't have online booking (pretty strange in 2012), so you email and they send a price. They asked me to email back with my credit card. Since, for security, I didn't want to send my card number by email I called the hotel to book directly. She quoted me a much higher rate, and when I said they had emailed me a better rate she refused to honor it. Apparently the low rate is only available to people willing to risk sending their cc info by email. So I booked a different hotel.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JasonCA_12
West Lothian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Spent 3 nights in NY for new year. Hotel is in a good location right off 7th avenue. Subway station across road but we found it easy enough to walk everywhere. The room was clean and reasonably sized. Decor is nothing special but I was expecting that. We were in a room at the front which meant we had view of Empire State building but was noisy, especially at night and early morning.

Staff were helpful, check in and out easy and we stored our luggage there for the day after we checked out. Coffee, tea, bagels and muffins provided in morning. Toiletries and hairdryer in room. No free wifi which would have been nice but there is a Starbucks just up 7th Ave which has free wifi.

Overall our stay in the hotel was fine and definitely good value for price we paid but next time I would either request a room at the back and hope its quieter or stay in a different hotel on a quieter street.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto 7th Ave have better view but it is noisy.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M0gwai993
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Pros of the Chelsea Savoy: Clean, good-sized rooms. Our room was very quiet (was not facing the street). Very affordable for NYC with no creepy bed bugs, mold, extra small rooms, etc. Has nice amenities such as a flat screen TV, hair dryer, ipod docking station, etc. In a good location, lots of subway stations close by. Some fun places to check out close by including a great place called Eataly and the flatiron district. 20 minute walk to Times Square. There is also coffee and bagels/rolls every morning. I would stay there again.

Cons of the Chelsea Savoy: Thin blankets, it was cold at night. When we asked for extra blankets, they brough extra comforters, not actual thermal blankets. Hit and miss staff. We had a flight leaving at 6:00 pm, I called and asked the front desk if they could arrange a car to pick us up. The person I talked to was very unhelpful as far as what time the car should arrive (he kept asking me what time we wanted to leave and I told him I didn't know, that our flight was at 6:00, asked him what did he suggest). He was also very unclear on the cost of the car. He told me one thing over the phone, when we got back to the hotel to wait for the car, we asked to confirm the price again and he called the company. They told him one price, when the car arrived, the driver said another price. The driver/front desk then seemed to get into an argument. It was very...odd. I guess I would think/hope that the front desk of a hotel would be more knowledgeable about things like airport transportation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside (that does not face the stree) -- it was very quiet!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MNGal31
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We had four to the room (to keep New York hotel costs somewhat reasonable) and it held us well though I wouldn't call the room spacious. We had a room on the inside and away from the sound of traffic and had great sleep every night. They have complimentary coffee and pastries in the morning (I liked the chewy bagels). If that is you fancy a Starbucks one is just across the road and a grocery store is less than half a block away.

The best part of the hotel is it is relatively close to the three subway lines with one right at the hotels location so it is easy to get to all parts of Manhattan including Times Square to the north and the Financial District to the south.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Don’t expect this to be the best hotel you have ever stayed in, but for its location and price range, it will get you a good sleep and off on the road to the many sites of New York.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the inside, the view isn't too hot but the street sounds won't keep you up.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends