“Very Decent/Affordable Place for a NYC Vacation!”

Chelsea Savoy Hotel
Ranked #279 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Pros of the Chelsea Savoy: Clean, good-sized rooms. Our room was very quiet (was not facing the street). Very affordable for NYC with no creepy bed bugs, mold, extra small rooms, etc. Has nice amenities such as a flat screen TV, hair dryer, ipod docking station, etc. In a good location, lots of subway stations close by. Some fun places to check out close by including a great place called Eataly and the flatiron district. 20 minute walk to Times Square. There is also coffee and bagels/rolls every morning. I would stay there again.

Cons of the Chelsea Savoy: Thin blankets, it was cold at night. When we asked for extra blankets, they brough extra comforters, not actual thermal blankets. Hit and miss staff. We had a flight leaving at 6:00 pm, I called and asked the front desk if they could arrange a car to pick us up. The person I talked to was very unhelpful as far as what time the car should arrive (he kept asking me what time we wanted to leave and I told him I didn't know, that our flight was at 6:00, asked him what did he suggest). He was also very unclear on the cost of the car. He told me one thing over the phone, when we got back to the hotel to wait for the car, we asked to confirm the price again and he called the company. They told him one price, when the car arrived, the driver said another price. The driver/front desk then seemed to get into an argument. It was very...odd. I guess I would think/hope that the front desk of a hotel would be more knowledgeable about things like airport transportation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside (that does not face the stree) -- it was very quiet!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MNGal31

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We had four to the room (to keep New York hotel costs somewhat reasonable) and it held us well though I wouldn't call the room spacious. We had a room on the inside and away from the sound of traffic and had great sleep every night. They have complimentary coffee and pastries in the morning (I liked the chewy bagels). If that is you fancy a Starbucks one is just across the road and a grocery store is less than half a block away.

The best part of the hotel is it is relatively close to the three subway lines with one right at the hotels location so it is easy to get to all parts of Manhattan including Times Square to the north and the Financial District to the south.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Don’t expect this to be the best hotel you have ever stayed in, but for its location and price range, it will get you a good sleep and off on the road to the many sites of New York.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the inside, the view isn't too hot but the street sounds won't keep you up.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Skibug_10
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel twice, and it really was what I needed: close to a number of a subway lines, a nice confy bed and a spacious room (which is very uncommon in Manhattan). The staff were friendly and helpful all time, and let me storage my luggage after check out at on extra charge. The location was very good, with nice restaurants on walking distance.
I have to say that this is not a fancy or charming hotel, but it is very convenient, and with a very reasonable price compared to others of the same price. Besides, in Manhattan, you need location, some space, and a bed to crash...the city will provide the rest!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Chelsea Savoy from 27 October - 2 November. The best thing going for the hotel is the location: in the middle of Chelsea and close to a number of subway lines. Check-in and check-out were fine but the staff can generally be described as surly and dis-interested. The room itself was reasonably sized by NY standards (read: small but not tiny) and clean-ish. Wifi is available via an external provider but is expensive (ie. $35 for 5 days) and restrictive (one device only at any one time).

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We are a family of five so they offered to bring us a cot at no extra charge. We arrived early in the day from our cruise and the hotel also stored our luggage until check in time at no extra charge. The breakfast is bagels, Muffins and coffee. We were right around the corner from The Whole Food Market which gives you healthy snacks. The big screen TV was great although no children's channel. Overall it was perfect for our needs. Free Wifi would be added bonus but then price might go up. It was right next to a subway station and handy to all the major attractions we wanted to see. Walking distance to Madison Square Gardens for my husband and oldest son to catch the NYR game. It is handy to the Chelsea Market and Times Square/ Theatre district,close enough to Empire State Building. Highly recommend it for those that want clean, comfortable room, friendly service for great value. This leaves you with money to spend on the attractions, shows, shopping and food.

Room Tip: We had corner suite which was noiser for traffic but great for people watching and sunlight.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family