All reviews bryant park whole foods times square sound machine nespresso machine usb ports usb charging new york make up mirror skyline view robes and slippers king size modern hotel around the corner excellent location nyc hotel turn down service
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The front desk staff were always friendly. The average rating is for the quirks that I was surprised I'd experience in a hotel in which I feel is in the center of everything and should have a higher standard for the nightly rate charged.

I asked for very little from anyone and I'm not a complainer about the tiny details, however there seemed to be just basic housekeeping. I've already reported it in the email survey after my stay. It never felt like the bathroom floor was washed or swept. The complimentary slippers are essential for that reason. I'd have thrown some small eye pencil shavings in the bathroom waste container's bag and the particles would be on the floor when I returned. If the staff were rushing to dump the bag, and it flew out, it didn't seem to be noticed and the shavings remained ground into the floor all week in the bathroom

The view from the 18th floor is kind of a joke. I wouldn't pay for a view king room again. I do like the electric shades and that I seldom heard much noise at that high level. I had a good night's sleep in the bed each night. However, the morning came with daily sounds obviously from the staff closet being opened next door to my room -- it is not properly installed so there was a "bang" every time it was opened. I have a neighbor with a badly installed cabinet at home and recognized this noise immediately to be the same problem. I suppose the sleep machine muffled this sound a little, but someone in maintenance should look into this as a thing that can be modified.

Great feature: the room's furniture drawers and doors all close quietly, which I'm frequently seeing in more updated hotels.

On my first morning there, someone knocked on my door around 8:30-9 am even though I had the privacy button activated. I asked the front desk about it and the bell person admitted that he was making deliveries and mistakened my room as where it was to be delivered. I never heard him say who he was when I called out, "Who is it?" At least he was forthcoming about the mistake when I asked what it was all about.

One anomaly never clarified: Each day when I left the room I activated the "Make Up Room" button and it lit up in blue the outside doorbell. I never had "privacy" activated unless I was in the room. The front desk left a message one day, my last day, at 3 pm that they couldn't make up my room because my "privacy" indicator was lit. I walked back in and saw my room unmade, the make up room light lit, and was a bit confused. The message from the front desk was annoying because they could have walked up there to look at the room doorbell to verify the report and solved this problem. I left the room at 12:15 pm and went through the routine of pressing "make up room". Whatever that was about, I don't know. I told them when I returned what time I was leaving later for the theatre and they just had someone come in and make the bed.

Quirk Pt. 1: Another housekeeping issue came up when I left a dirty glass on the floor of the bathroom to be replaced. It was not replaced and it was put back in the main area on the desk. I discovered this a couple of days later when I picked up the glass and the inside had remains of my beverage stuck on it. I told the front desk staff about it and even asked for more attention be paid to cleaning the floor in the bathroom. The room's desk or counter had a coffee stain never wiped off on the front edge, and the bathroom had a stain on the wall never cleaned. There were scuff marks on walls in various places like near the coat rack and near the window. Bath gel stains on the ledge in the shower remained all week.

Quirk Pt. 2: I tipped housekeeping at the beginning and the staff at the front desk were confused why I was doing this. They put it in an envelope and said they were giving it to the manager of housekeeping. But it was an inconsistent housekeeping experience all week. Turn down service sometimes left me chocolates, but a couple of times, there were no chocolates left. I left a note about it, but I still didn't get chocolates a few nights later. I tipped a basic amount at the end for housekeeping for the fact that they would give fresh towels and sheets and that the bed was nicely made most of the stay.

I used the umbrella a few times and used their sleep machine and hair dryer. Everything about the way the room is set up and supplied is great.

Quite often I had to restart the wifi and log in again, but more often after 10:00 pm the speed would be extremely slow.

The magnifying mirror requires a USB cord for its light to work. It makes no sense except that maybe they hope you'll open the package of the USB cord left in the snack section and there's no price for the cord listed on a very hidden price sheet near the snacks. Remember to bring your own HDMI cord or know how to add a blue tooth device connection if you want to use the large screen TV with your personal laptop, tablet or phone device.

A great plus, the TV has a lot of channels that I wouldn't expect to find like several cable channels not commonly seen at hotels, AMC, MSNBC, a few Showtime, and HBO channels, TV5 Monde (Quebec), and more.

Another great plus is the complimentary nespresso machine with complimentary capsules, a couple of tea bags are also provided, plus that they have capsules of coffeemate. I purchased and stored in the fridge my own soda and non-dairy coffee supplies from Whole Foods at the end of the block. But when I ran out of stirrers on the second day, I had to leave a note asking for more stirrers.

Some technical issues, perhaps in the ventilation circulation or outside air vents not getting fresh air, twice in the 8 nights I stayed, I smelled 2nd hand smoke in my room, but I called only once about it, so it only lasted for a short time. I was told that other guests were calling with the same complaint. Twice in the stay at night I had to call the front desk about my auto thermostat reading an error and they had to go to the tech closet out in the hall to reset it. It only took 5 minutes to check it out and correct it.

I don't feel the nightly price of $350-$450 is justified other than for its location to quickly get to many subway lines and the theatre district. I will weigh my options more next year, but I'd only return for the location, the complimentary nespresso, and that I had a good night's sleep each night.

Room tip: Avoid rooms ending in 03 if you don't like the sound of a staff closet opening; not necessary to be on a higher floor
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
LUMA_Hotel_Team, General Manager at LUMA Hotel Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your very detailed review. We will be addressing all the items listed with our staff as many of your comments should not have occurred. Thank you as it is only through the eyes of our guests that we can identify the areas that we need to work on and it appears there are a few listed here. We hope to have the opportunity to weclome you back. In anticipation Kate Martin

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The front desk and bell hops were fantastic stewards of Luma and New York City. We received outstanding care and service from Missy at the front desk. She made sure the room we received met our needs perfectly and answered all our questions about breakfast spots in the morning.
The bell hop, Cruz, who helped us arrange parking for our oversized chariot (an F250 Ford pickup) was attentive and helpful as well. He had excellent suggestions for locations for adult beverages and watching baseball and was friendly and fun to converse with at all times. He also took great care of our luggage and vehicle, warning us that it would be parked a greater distance from the hotel so we should call in advance in order to give them plenty of time to retrieve it for us.

You have created a true treasure at Luma between the staff and the accommodations. The rooms are appointed perfectly with modern amenities and attention to detail to create a lovely and comfortable ambiance that welcomes you to the city that never sleeps, yet allows you to catch some valuable shut eye in comfort. And your staff is truly amazing in the way they make the guests feel welcome – even those of us visiting from Boston!

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
katemartin2017, General Manager at LUMA Hotel Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you so much! I am so happy you enjoye dyour stay and we will make sure to sing your praises to the staff! We look forward to having you back. In anticipation Kate Martin

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The room was very dark without view . Only the location is great.
The staff dosent have very good information about the city, and it
take us a lots of problems especialy in our way to the aeroport because the traffic.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Isabel - We have tried to reach out to you to undertand what happened. It would be helpful if I could understand how you were not properly informed about potential traffic from the parade taking palce. I am very sorry for any distress caused. Please feel free to reach out to me directly. In antiicpation Kate martin

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great location just off Broadway and Times Square and adjacent to Bryant Park so in the thick of things but relatively peaceful and calm.

Room was great size - no view but we were not really in NYC to gaze out of the window - we didn't eat in the restaurant as the menu was not to our liking but it was generally busy so expect the food was good

love the fact that all machines are hidden away under the bed and the shower was amazing - nespresso machine an added bonus - would def recommend

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you Tina so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! In anticipation Kate Martin

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Modern hotel with good central location and I believe the best room facilities I have ever come across, they havent missed a trick and you wouldnt want for anything. I loved our stay with my only little gripe being I wasnt a fan of their room service, I found the presentation of it quirky and when placing our order it was difficult to receive what we really wanted. This didnt detract from the overall experience of staying here and I would return.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
LUMA_Hotel_Team, General Manager at LUMA Hotel Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience! I am sorry that room service was not exactly what you were anticipating. I would love to find out more so that we can make improvements. Please reach out to me directly, In anticipation Kate Martin