“Great, But Only If You Are Here a Week” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Met Cloisters
Book In Advance
US$ 25.00*
and up
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Admission with Access to The Met Breuer and The...
Ranked #24 of 1,059 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art that was constructed out of sections of French medieval monasteries, offers an extensive collection of statues, paintings, stained glass windows and tapestries.
Brooklyn, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great, But Only If You Are Here a Week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is a beautiful place, but definitely low down on the list of top NYC hits. If you have a few days and you don't know what to do, this is always good. Far way from Manhattan, so I'd go only if you need a break from Midtown. Gorgeous views of Hudson River here too.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Jimmy O
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Serene piece of Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Visiting the Cloisters was a special gift to myself after the hussle and bustle of shopping and sightseeing. It is off the beaten track and rarely visited although easy to get to by subway and bus. When I arrived at opening, I was the only one there and only a handful of visitors arrived as I explored this beautiful museum/sanctuary. You can pay what you wish to view the priceless tapestries, wander through the sunlit inner courtyard, admire the unbelievable stained glass windows and beutiful altars. You feel that you are back in the Middle Ages as you wander through rooms that have been transported for you to explore. Don't miss this special place.
p.s. the bus outside will take you right to the Met and you can use your button for same day admission, (2 for 1)

Visited July 2012
2 Thank kalitaxidi
NYC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Unique gem in NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Very scenic, quiet place. The views are great, landscape is very nice. Certainly a special place in busy NYC.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank SLEEPYCAT
Bridgewater, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“fabulous surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

thought I knew the city well; have spent more than 5 decades visiting but today was my first time at the Cloisters. It was a true hidden gem. Loved the European feel and the fine collection. The gardens and the views were some of the finest in the city. My husband and I then walked the paths around Fort Tyron Park and could not get over the fact that this beautiful park was in our backyard and we had never been here! We had a wonderful lunch outdoors at the New Leaf restaurant. It was a wonderful way to spend a warm August afternoon in my favorite city!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank alwaysajerseygirl
Aaespere, Estonia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beautiful museum, staff rather ugly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I suppose what really ruined the experience for us was the rude staff. The ladies at the front desk had no personality. We were charged $20.00, no questions asked (we didn't know about the "suggested donation") and weren't offered maps or any information whatsoever. After we paid the admission, we were told we had to check our bags in (which had all our camera equipment). We were then told to wait for security to see if he would approve us taking in our bags and he argued with me over my bag not being a camera bag (which it was). He finally stopped arguing with me and let me in as well as my boyfriend.
The place is absolutely beautiful and quiet even with some school field trips. The park itself is beautiful also. Who knew that this existed in Manhattan?
Maybe we'll give it another try next time we visit NYC.

Visited June 2012