“Superb Classic French Food; Go for Lunch”

Le Cou Cou Restaurant
Ranked #165 of 15,866 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: SoHo
Neighbourhood: SoHo
Reviewed 8 June 2018

We have been trying to eat here since a good friend recommended it over a year ago. We luckily were able to get a lunch reservation recently, which is easier than dinner. The restaurant itself is beautiful, especially if you are lucky enough to be near the kitchen. The $54 two-course lunch menu is worth it. We started with the skate with capers and a red pepper reduction sauce and ahi tuna and grapefruit salad, both of which were delicious. For mains we had the buckwheat-encrusted soft shell crab and poached tilefish, the latter in a decadent cream sauce. We had two glasses of French sancerre, which paired nicely with our meals, on the recommendation of the sommelier, who was engaging and talkative. Dessert, the chocolate noir, was a bit disappointing. Service was exemplary. By far the best meal of our trip, though not on the light side, so we wouldn't want to eat this way every day.

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Beautiful restaurant - the decor and service was faultless. Food was sublime - well presented, delicious, inventive (to a degree but not at the expense of taste). We had skate and soft shell crab to start, fillet steak (with ox cheek parmentier potatoes - a revelation) and lamb chop (with slow cooked shank), all amazing. Thank you Le Cou Cou for a memorable meal.

Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

If you want classic French, which tend to be less popular nowadays, come to Le Coucou. We came here to celebrate our anniversary as this was also our first date spot. Yes, crazy for a first date, but it worked out well.

The menu has changed since then but since items remain. We ordered the oysters, the sweetbreads, the veal tongue, and the duck for two. The sweetbreads and veal tongue are a staple and an automatic must. If you're not ordering these two items, don't even bother coming here.

The duck for two was on point and very much nose to tail. I enjoyed the duck hearts and they were not cheap on the foie gras. The daikon was a bit sauerkraut like but good. Maybe less would be better next time.

Anyhow, a memorable and enjoyable meal nonetheless.

Reviewed 12 May 2018

I am a huge fan of Upland and had been trying to get to Le Cou Cou for quite awhile but making dinner reservations a month in advance is difficult with my schedule. Went for lunch recently and I really, really wanted to love this restaurant but unfortunately I found it to be average. I loved the design and the open kitchen is easy on the eyes (and ears).
The service lacked personality and warmth. It was robotic and clumsy (glass knocked off the table across from us while serving and server dropped a plate of food). Order takers with no personality or passion. There were plenty of staff but the lag between finishing each course and having the table cleared seemed like an eternity. Dessert menus before crumbing? Ok.
We ordered the same entree - Steak Tartare - and it arrived deconstructed. Seriously? Nice presentation but sorry I don't want to decide how much caper, egg, onion etc needs to be mixed in my tartare or does all of it get mixed. I'm surprised that the dish is just dropped without an explanation of condiments or a spiel about mixing the ingredients, something, anything? Mustard? Worcestershire Sauce? Olive Oil? Something please to bind the ingredients other than egg. I asked myself if anyone in the kitchen has ever sat at a table and mixed a steak tartare as a guest? Why would you want to? I want the chefs version, not mine!
Served with a huge bowl of pommes frites, enough for four persons and too many 'crumbs' of potato as I like to call those tiny pieces.
The smallest piece of lemon tart, lacked presentation and was cut unevenly. It was rather good, just not pretty.
I may get up the courage to visit for dinner because I don't believe that Le Cou Cou is all about hype or do I?

Reviewed 8 May 2018

super service in a lovely room. food was delish and arrived without delay. would recommend a meal in this super spot. inventive menu