“Old fashioned soda shop with exceptional quality food”

Big Al's Restaurant and Grill
Ranked #9 of 38 Restaurants in Manteo
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 22
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: The past is back! Big Al's Soda Fountain & Grill serves up authentic American fare in a retro 50's fun dining atmosphere. Restaurant features soda fountain counter, juke box, dance floor, game room/arcade, one of the largest Coca-Cola memorabilia collections in the country, fresh never-frozen USDA certified Prime Angus burgers, home made desserts, 50's inspired gift-shop and blue-plate specials. New owners have recently updated the restaurant from top to bottom with a focus on a quality dining experience with all the good flavors of the era.
Reviewed 20 April 2017

Big ALS is proud to be a TripAdvisor recommended restaurant with its banner a it lives up to the title. We sat at the old fashioned bar & watch the servers make shake after shake. I had the Swiss & mushroom hamburger with aioli sauce & sweet potatoes fries. My husband has the club & onion rings. We would return anytime & try other dishes as well!

Reviewed 18 April 2017

Good food, long wait, but a good place to rest and fuel up for the rest of the day. Waitstaff was friendly.

Reviewed 15 April 2017

This was a great way to end our day. With 3 children under 9 finding a place to eat that everyone likes is hard. Not to mention finding a place that my picking teen will eat at. THe outside is just like any other with nothing particular to draw your attention to. Inside was like stepping back in time. There is an amazing collection of Coke-A-Cola memorbilia and so much more. Everything was very clean including the bathrooms. Our waitress was amazing and was well versed in the menu. My teen had the pulled pork and she said it was very well done. She loved her orange crean cycle float!!! Each of kids dound something they liked. The portions were good sized and they loved it! I had a BLT and it was done perfectly. I would definatly recommend eating there!!!

Reviewed 13 April 2017

We stopped at Big Al's at the recommendation of friends who visit Nags Head yearly. While I agree it's a great family atmosphere and clean, the wait with 2 hungry kids was too long. We stopped after a visit to the aquarium, and unfortunately I should have given my kids a snack before stopping. The waitress (Liz) was friendly and attentive, but the restaurant was very busy and the kitchen staff clearly was under-staffed for the holiday week and I'm guessing the number of families who traveled to the area pre-Easter weekend. We waited almost an hour for our food. The hostess must have known this upon seating us as the waitress said that when she put our order up, our ticket was tagged "45 minutes". Had we known that we'd have to wait this long for food, we certainly would not have stayed. The restaurant was clean. The food was average to very good. Generous portions. Had we received our food more quickly, I definitely would have rated it higher given the atmosphere, cleanliness, and overall food portions.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

The restaurant has all kinds of memorabilia from way back. Pictures of Elvis, Chuck Berry, Marilyn Monroe, etc.. It had a sort of 50's ambiance.