“Amazing Fried Oyster Cobb Salad”
Review of Mac's Shack

Mac's Shack
Ranked #3 of 49 Restaurants in Wellfleet
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 39
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Mac's Shack is all about the pure goodness of the season's local harvest. Your taste buds will shout "hello summer!" Ice cold Wellfleet Oysters, tender lobster dripping with butter, mouthwatering sushi, and the freshest seafood served on the Cape - made exactly how you like it. This is the kind of food that makes you happy.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were actually looking for Macs on the Pier, thought this was it, but happy we made a mistake. I think they are all part of the same family of restaurants, owned by the same person. But my Fried Oyster Cobb Salad was the best-everything looked fresh and tasted great. They were busy, found a table easily, and was waited on right away. Service was a little slow, but well worth the wait, the staff had many roles, and were all friendly and accommodating.
My wife had the quinoa salad bowl and loved it.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very casual but very good. This is the place to go for lunch, roll up one's sleeves, and dig in. We all enjoyed lots and lots a great oysters, all nice and pump and briny. The clam chowder was good but I did not particularly take to the Bermuda fish chowder. We will certainly have lunch here again.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Mac Hay has established a seafood institution on Cape Cod, from Wellfleet to Provincetown. He has three restaurants and three markets that specialize in fresh seafood, lobster rolls, sushi, sashimi, tartars, maki rolls and nigiri. Sorry, but I'm not in a mood for freshwater eel. Some of Mac's specialties are cracker-crusted bluefish, Skate in brown butter, sea scallops with green curry, grilled oysters and halibut in saffron lobster broth. His signature restaurant, Mac's Shack, opened in 2006 at 91 Commercial Street in Wellfleet. If you like seafood, the best place to get it is in New England and the best place in New England could be Mac's Shack on Cape Cod. For starters, we had Mac's clam chowder, Caesar salad and shrimp and scallop dumplings. For entrees, my wife opted for pan seared scallops while I couldn't resist the pan roasted halibut. But Mac also offers poached cod, pan seared salmon, cracker-crusted bluefish, crab stuffed flounder, whole snapper, grilled swordfish, fish and chips, clams, oysters, steamed lobster and fried shrimp. Oh, if you're not in the mood for fish, you can order a grilled ribeye. For sides, we ordered sauteed spinach and brown rice. Dessert? Key lime pie is always so refreshing. If I lived on Cape Cod, I'd be a regular customer of Mac's Market with frequent carryouts of shrimp.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Hard to beat the location, Wellfleet harbor, picnic tables on the sand.

This is a clam shack, you order at one window, your food comes out at another, served on paper plates.

My favorite thing on the menu: the grilled yellow fin tuna sandwich - cooked med-rare for me (well for my sister-in-law) served on a bulkie roll with lettuce and tomato. Perfectly cooked, fantastic flavor, and a good value given the size of the tuna steak.

Clam strips were so fresh, flavorful, lightly breaded, not greasy .

Having had the fries and onion rings, I would recommend the fries, the onion rings were so-so with too much breading.

The biggest disappointment was the lobster roll. I have my favorite place to buy lobster rolls, so I ordered one here for research. It had too much mayonnaise and the lobster meat was a bit tough. Order something else.

Will I go back? Most definitely, great food, great location!

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Although this place has all the local standards you would expect from a Cape Cod seafood restaurant, it also has excellent sushi. the wine list, especially the half-bottles, provides excellent value. MAKE SURE you have the local Wellfleet oysters. This place can get a little "zooy" at times--and we were there is September!. We went twice and the service was a little variable, but still solid.