New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly

Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chinle
Bellingham, Washington
“Stinking room, unhelpful management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

There was a long line at the counter when I tried to check in at the Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly, not a good sign. The first two people in front of me complained about the lack of non-smoking rooms. The young woman at the counter was polite and patient, but really couldn't deal with their complaints. The manager at last appeared, rather rudely announced that the hotel policy was only to guarantee a room, not a particular type of room, location, amenities, etc. Those two couples left in disgust. The next two people in line both showed paperwork that they had reservations, but hotel had no record, and no empty rooms. They were turned away, again after the unhelpful and unsympathetic intervention of the manager.

I then reached the counter. I stated that I had reserved a non-smoking, king room with a refrigerator. The counter person told me only smoking rooms very available, there were no kings, and that the rooms did not have refrigerators. I noted that the hotel website specifically states rooms are equipped with refrigerators. She said this is error, only some rooms do. Out of desperation I took a key and went to look at the reserved room. It was at the end of long hallway stinking of smoke. I nearly gagged on the way there. Inside the smell was less obtrusive, but the shabby condition, lingering odor, and general lack of appeal of the room led me to reject it.

I returned to the counter, again waited in line while the women in front of me was told that the hotel had no record of her reservation (despite the printed confirmation she showed them), and asked to cancel my reservation. I drove the mile back to the Best Western Canyon de Chelly, and spent the next 10 nights there in odorless comfort.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Geostationary
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Geostationary,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Redondo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

I got off to a bad start with this Holiday Inn. The location is perfect, just a stones throw from the Canyon de Chelly. I got into town early and wanted to check in. Can't do that till 3 and no exceptions for a tired traveler. Then when I did get checked in, they gave me the wrong wifi password.

That said, the room was in great condition with a nice bathroom, writing table, fridge -- and the stay was fine. The restaurant had a limited menu with an emphasis on beef dishes, very little chicken and no fish. But the food was good for a chain place and they pulled in some Navaho dishes that made it interesting. The wait staff was universally pleasant.

My only other bother was that you need to enter a password every time you use their wifi so I must have typed it in 20 times over the day I was there. But that is a corporate policy so I can't blame this location. But what a pain.

Overall a well run place and a decent value for the money.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank TimT_10
Grenoble, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Very conveniently located near the Canyon de Chelly visitor center. But we found it very noisy (high frequency noise coming from a technical room whole night, stopped at 7am sharp) and staff in lobby not helpful. Not really meeting standards of other Holiday Inns. For breakfast recommend to take the buffet , ordering a special takes for ever by lack of personnel.

Room Tip: Only benefit is location for visitors of Canyon de Chelly
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank stism
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear stism,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you liked the location of our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not fully comfortable due to the noise. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Westboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We only stayed one night at this Chinle, AZ Holiday Inn but I have to say it was one of the Best Holiday Inns I have ever stayed at. The hotel is very clean and is decorated southwestern style. The people who work at this Holiday Inn (almost all Navajo) are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is comfortable and the food is very tasty. Also a nice gift shop. I don't know what the other reviewers were talking about as far as bad service,bad food or unhelpful people because it was not that way at all. I thought it was cool that Navajo guides gather here for breakfast before they take people for tours in Canyon De Chelly. There was a very sweet girl by the name of Mandi (part Navajo) who served us breakfast, told us about Navajo life and set up a tour with one of the guides for us. We had our picture taken with her. We find that people we meet along the way really make our trips special. Some of the actors and crew from the Lone Ranger film were staying here too. I started talking to Leon Rippey's wife in the parking lot about a dog my son befriended. The dog was very friendly and not a stray. Mrs Rippey was the one who told me about the Lone Ranger movie with Johnny Depp. Just after that I crossed paths with William Fichtner (dressed in all black cowboy style) coming out of the Holiday Inn restaurant and I said hello. I have to say I didn't know who I had said hello to until later! The canyon is just a short distance from the hotel and our Navajo guide Daniel made the tour in the canyon very enjoyable. In the canyon I met Johnny Depp's double. This stop was probably the most enjoyable out of our northern AZ loop.

Room Tip: We had 2nd floor facing the pool. I didn't need an elevator but someone who would struggle carry...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Eastham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed for one night enroute from Petrified Forest to Monument Valley. We would have stayed another night to further explore wonderful Canyon de Chelly, but all the rooms in town were booked with The Lone Ranger film crew. The room was very comfortable and clean, and the rollaway was already in the room when we arrived. The dining room was a let-down. The food was so-so, and at breakfast there was only one chef on duty, and the entire film crew descended upon the dining room, so the service was very slow. We would return based on the quality of the room and the proximity to the Canyon, and perhaps the restaurant situation would be better.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family