“Location,location,location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Woodside SA
“Location,location,location”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel had everything we needed. The location was great for us, we came in by plane and left by Amtrak so the trip to station was in walking distance. We had come through SD 10 days before after taking a cruise and was able to store some luggage here until our return and we really appreciated that. The king size room was a really decent size with a great bed and plenty of room around us to spread out our gear, with a small table, 2 comfortable armchairs and a large wardrobe for clothes. The bathroom was a good size and the shower pressure was excellent. The first night we arrived from LA about 7 and were beat from the days travels so we had a drink at the bar and decided to take advantage of the in-house dining special in the Hotel restaurant. The food on the menu was half price to guests and was really good. We would certainly stay here again

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RosWoodsideSA
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge your 5 star, complimentary review of our hotel. Thank you!

From the check in experience, to the service, to the rooms, to the food, we strive to please our guests in every manner. That is what the Bristol Hotel is all about and we greatly appreciate your acknowledgement! We are also happy to hear how well our Gaslamp Quarter location worked for you!

Once again, thank you for the accolades and I will share them our staff.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,

Gregory Rizzi
Bristol Hotel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Amsterdam
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Our overall stay was good! The room was nice and so was the hotel in itself. They provide valet parking, but I don’t remember what we had to pay for it, but it was around $ 20 per day. The location is quite good as well, near a shopping mall and near restaurants. There is also a computer at the lobby which you can use. The one thing I did NOT like about the hotel was the following: upon arrival we received a voucher for a welcome drink for 2 at their bar. The next evening we got down to the bar and ordered 2 wine. We got the wine, but the bartender explained that due to a change of owner they could not offer us a complimentary drink anymore and that we had to pay for it…what is that all about?! The next day when we checked out I explained it to the lady at the front desk telling her that I refused to pay for the drinks, since they invited us and then after sipping the wine were told we had to pay for it. Especially since it was a very bad wine ;) She told us she could not do anything for us and bla bla bla. Of course, I was pretty mad about this, not so much for the $ 10 that we had to pay, but more so because of the weirdness of it all. We had a conversation for over 10 minutes regarding this topic, but she would not even consider paying for the drinks. She was actually kind of rude to me and so I asked for the manager. The manager came down and decided that it was indeed not nice that we couldn’t enjoy our complimentary drink and so she removed the drinks from the account. The manager was very professional, calm and did the right thing. So in the end everything was settled, but I did want to point this out, because I have never experienced anything like this. I mean, as if they didn’t know that there was going to be a change of owner. They should have told us that we had to use the voucher the same day we arrived, but they didn’t, so how on earth should we know?!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mhot
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Walked there after getting off a LA - San Diego train with full suitcase of luggage. Took about 15 mins walk to get there - straight road and then to the left.

Close to shops, good location.

First time I flushed the toilet it blocked. Raised this with the cleaning lady on our way out who said she will contact maintenance. When we got back it was fixed - wonderful service!

For the price you would probably expect something a little nicer unfortunately it is "good enough" - not bad but not outstanding.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ach0087
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

First of all, the location of this hotel is awesome. It is close to Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp Quarter without being right in the middle of it (Gaslamp gets pretty busy and loud in the evening, I cannot imagine staying there). There are loads of transit options within a block or two.

The front desk staff are probably the best selling point of this hotel. They were courteous, helpful and funny! You can buy discounted zoo tickets right at the front desk which was great.

The rooms are a bit old looking but are well appointed. I really liked the fact that the toiletries were environmentally-friendly.

Even though the hotel offers wi-fi, there is also a courtesy computer with printer in the lobby which is always a nice touch.

The bus depot is no longer located across the street so you can ignore other posts regarding noise coming from the bus depot.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I booked my stay at the Bristol as part of a vacation package and understood my room was a “Superior King”. When I arrived, I was told they didn’t have that room but instead had a room with two doubles. I made my dissatisfaction known and was told that the provider of my travel package couldn’t guarantee my specific room because they didn’t know the hotel’s room availability. I find that odd as my reservation clearly indicated the room I booked as part of my package. The front desk attendant said she would look for a different room and call me within a few minutes, she clearly indicated she would put me on the top floor overlooking the city to make up for the misunderstanding. Several hours later, no call and only when I stopped at the front desk again did she re-address the situation. I was told I was being “upgraded” to a room with a king bed and that the room was larger – what she failed to mention was my “upgraded room” was only one floor up (4th floor) and had a lovely view of a wall, of the building next door and really wasn’t that much larger. One day into my stay, another guest’s dog barked throughout the night keeping me awake. I called the front desk and was told the owners had gone to dinner and had been notified of the issue. I had no idea the Bristol as a pet friendly hotel or I never would have booked it. Another day, our mini-bar key had been taken and we needed to ask for it back to retrieve a personal item we had placed in it. Another day, our dirty towels were removed but we weren’t given fresh ones. Parking is an extra fee and most times, the valet took longer than I believed he should have to retrieve my car.

The one and an only saving grace of this establishment was their restaurant. It was a lovely place, with very friendly and attentive staff, very good food and very reasonable prices. I would eat there again but I will NEVER stay at the Bristol again. For as much as my stay cost, I would have expected my experience to be flawless and parking should be included in the cost of my stay, not an extra charge.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TTOlsen
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Ms. Olsen,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. It is only through “feedback” such as yours that makes us aware of our shortcomings. I sincerely apologize to you for an unhappy visit and I assure you that this was the exception and not the rule at the Bristol Hotel.

Your review was read aloud at our staff meeting this morning as an example of what creates a guests complaint; starting with the incorrect accommodation assignment, the improper follow through regarding problem solving, housekeeping (towels) issues and how to respond to situations that are at times beyond our control, such as a barking dog.

On the brighter side, your favorable comments of our restaurant and service was greatly appreciated and those observations were forwarded to our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager, thank you.

Ms. Olsen, we take complaints and compliments both very seriously as they are a measurement of our successes and failures and assist’s us on how to improve upon guest experiences. I personally want to impress upon you that we do care and I realize that an apology coming at this time may do little to change your opinion of our hotel.

If your travels do bring you back to San Diego, I hope that you give the Bristol Hotel another chance.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,