“Too expensive for mistakes”

The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #61 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I booked my stay at the Bristol as part of a vacation package and understood my room was a “Superior King”. When I arrived, I was told they didn’t have that room but instead had a room with two doubles. I made my dissatisfaction known and was told that the provider of my travel package couldn’t guarantee my specific room because they didn’t know the hotel’s room availability. I find that odd as my reservation clearly indicated the room I booked as part of my package. The front desk attendant said she would look for a different room and call me within a few minutes, she clearly indicated she would put me on the top floor overlooking the city to make up for the misunderstanding. Several hours later, no call and only when I stopped at the front desk again did she re-address the situation. I was told I was being “upgraded” to a room with a king bed and that the room was larger – what she failed to mention was my “upgraded room” was only one floor up (4th floor) and had a lovely view of a wall, of the building next door and really wasn’t that much larger. One day into my stay, another guest’s dog barked throughout the night keeping me awake. I called the front desk and was told the owners had gone to dinner and had been notified of the issue. I had no idea the Bristol as a pet friendly hotel or I never would have booked it. Another day, our mini-bar key had been taken and we needed to ask for it back to retrieve a personal item we had placed in it. Another day, our dirty towels were removed but we weren’t given fresh ones. Parking is an extra fee and most times, the valet took longer than I believed he should have to retrieve my car.

The one and an only saving grace of this establishment was their restaurant. It was a lovely place, with very friendly and attentive staff, very good food and very reasonable prices. I would eat there again but I will NEVER stay at the Bristol again. For as much as my stay cost, I would have expected my experience to be flawless and parking should be included in the cost of my stay, not an extra charge.

3  Thank TTOlsen
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Ms. Olsen,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. It is only through “feedback” such as yours that makes us aware of our shortcomings. I sincerely apologize to you for an unhappy visit and I assure you that this was the exception and not the rule at the Bristol Hotel.

Your review was read aloud at our staff meeting this morning as an example of what creates a guests complaint; starting with the incorrect accommodation assignment, the improper follow through regarding problem solving, housekeeping (towels) issues and how to respond to situations that are at times beyond our control, such as a barking dog.

On the brighter side, your favorable comments of our restaurant and service was greatly appreciated and those observations were forwarded to our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager, thank you.

Ms. Olsen, we take complaints and compliments both very seriously as they are a measurement of our successes and failures and assist’s us on how to improve upon guest experiences. I personally want to impress upon you that we do care and I realize that an apology coming at this time may do little to change your opinion of our hotel.

If your travels do bring you back to San Diego, I hope that you give the Bristol Hotel another chance.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Gregory T. Rizzi
Bristol Hotel

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at this place for 5 days for both business and holiday purposes. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the furniture of good quality. Don't forget to check out the hotel restaurant. They serve great food and seem to have long-term offers for sections of the menu, making them a far better choice than the somewhat overpriced restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter. Walking distance to the main conference locations (Convention Center: 15 min., Hilton Bayfront 20 min.).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I was in San Diego for a couple days due to a convention in town and chose to stay at the Bristol Hotel. The hotel is very comfortable, the room I stayed was spacious, the bed is extremely good and the bathroom also, with a good shower and amenities. The staff was very helpful at all times and the whole environment is quite pleasant. Breakfast menu does not have many options available, in particular if you want something more light to begin the day. There is the option of trying to have breakfast outside the hotel but there are not many options nearby specially if you do not feel like walking a little bit. In this sense, location is good, but not excellent: Horton Plaza with shops is close by, with easy access to the San Diego Old Trolley Tours (that will take you to San Diego main attractions, including Balbo Park and the Zoo), a CVS pharmacy, stores like Macys and some places to eat. Also, in a walking distance there is a market, the Convention Center and the Gaslamp Quarter disctrict with its shops and restaurants. However, all these walks are more than 15-20 minutes (30 min to the convention center where you can access the Marina and the Seaport Village). So, you can do everything walking and by public transportation from the hotel if you do not mind walking, but, if you do, you may need try something more central. Streets, however, are not that all pleasant to walk specially in Sunday (when the majority of things was closed) or late at day, after 7 pm, and you can see lots of people begging for money and living in the streets. In fact, this a problem that extends all over town and not only in this particular location, even in the Marina. I would definetly stay at the hotel again and all in all the experience was very good at San Diego.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2012

A friendly staff welcomes you to the Bristol which is located just at the edge the Gaslamp
district and very close to the Mall. The room was very clean and a nice size. We ate
dinner at the hotel and enjoyed it. It was a blustery evening in San Diego and the warmth
of the restaurant tempted us to stay in. We ordered the Thursday night special prime rib and it was delicious. You won't go wrong at the Bristol. This is very convenient to the cruise ship
dock if you are embarking on a cruise. they offer free nuse of a computer in the lobby.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We found the hotel on google maps because we were looking for something that was central. We happened on this hotel, and what a find this was. The location is amazing - the transit store is next door so you can get the information you need and buy a pass. We opted for the 4 day pass (15$) because that was the number of days we were staying because we thought that would be easiest even if we didn't get full use of it. Well, the hotel is next to at least ten bus routes and two trolley lines which will take you directly to most tourist sites including Balboa park and the Zoo. You could easily easily walk to the gaslamp district and down to the harbor. We got our money's worth in that pass.
The hotel itself was clean, quiet and friendly. The rooms were of a good size with a little seating area. The décor is black and white with a touch of red which is a welcome change from the usual blandness of hotel chains. It actually lent itself to a bit of a home feel.
The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - from the time we arrived to the time we left they made us feel as if our satisfaction was really of concern to them. This was really one of the nicest hotel stays we have ever had.