“Great location & staff; resort fees questionable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westgate Hotel

The Westgate Hotel
Ranked #28 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Victoria
“Great location & staff; resort fees questionable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

This ornately decorated hotel is in a great location - we walked to Gaslamp Quarter as well as down to the waterfront ,and there is a trolley stop right beside the hotel if this is too much walking for some. Bed was firm and comfortable, shower pressure was awesome, lovely bathroom area, mini-fridge handy, and room quiet. Any staff we spoke to were pleasant, and the room was nicely cleaned and decorated (not our normal taste, but lavish style in keeping with the hotel's theme and fun for a change), with chocolates delivered in the early evening. Yes, we heard some low-level city noise, but, well, it's in the middle of the city, so....no trouble for us. No view from our room, but we were out too much to worry about that.

Big perk: We arrived early in the day and were allowed early check-in by helpful front desk / concierge--- much appreciated (and not expected)! We did not use room service, but the prices seemed quite reasonable. We saw some guests enjoying an afternoon tea complete with harpist.

I was originally not going to recommend this hotel because of the $15 daily resort fees. I am not clear what these fees paid for, exactly.... We were told this covered things like the spa, coffee, wifi, etc.--- yet most of these are normally included in the regular daily rate of hotels 2 star and up (in my experience). I didn't see a particularly luxurious spa area (correct me if I am wrong...) that could justify the fee. Coffee in room was barely passable with normal artificial creamers, etc., although herbal tea was nice touch. It would be better, in my opinion, just to inflate the daily rate so guests were clear from the onset what they were paying per day. Alternatively, the hotel could add more to justify this fee. (I'm not certain if this resort fee applies to all hotel guests or just those who had reduced rates - we booked through Hotwire..)

We likely would not return as we do like a pool/jacuzzi area, and I don't understand what the $15 fee per day pays for. It reads as a bit of a cash grab...

If pool/jacuzzi not important to you, the fee is a non-issue, and you appreciate a lavish decorating style (French, 18th century, I think?) this hotel is recommended for location and friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jojofliessouth
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Spent three days in January on an upper floor room, facing East. Since our lower level room was not clean at check in we were upgraded. Nicely appointed, good bed, relaxing furniture. Nice view. Bath, particularly the shower, needed to be updated, with new overhead faucet needed. Interesting how two rooms are reached via foyer room from the hallway. Lots of noise when people across from us opened/closed door. Noisy from street noise and sirens in the night. We ate in the restaurant on Friday night. Surprisingly good. Very expensive daily parking. The hotel was built in the 70's and was opulant in its days.

Room Tip: Hold out for an upper floor room. Save money by parking in a lot across the street. Try the restaura...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank burkeohio
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I was on business at the Westgate and was pleased with the distance to the convention center; not close, but not so far that it was a problem. The lobby is beautiful and reeks of a long ago Europe; most of the staff was interning from hotel school and it showed.
My room was large, the bathroom was gorgeous and there was actually a bench to sit on in the bath area to apply makeup. The entryway from the room to the outside hall buffered hall noise and was much appreciated.
All of the above would make the Westgate a lovely hotel and a "hope I get to stay here again" type of place.
HOWEVER......what made the Westgate not only special but superior in my mind is the fact that the staff takes the second step.
I had asked for a wake up call ( that is delivered by a human voice with a delightful german accent ) but got up prior and hopped in the shower. Didn't even think twice.
I didn't hear the phone ring and carried on with my toilette until the door knocked somewhat firmly. Grousing to myself for being interupted, I cracked the door and it was a desk attendant that had COME TO THE ROOM TO SEE IF I WAS OK,,,,,,,,What??? you mean someone thought...gosh....is she on the floor? is she oversleeping etc?

Major kudos to the Westgate.......top that Marriott....Westin...Hilton.....

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BethTulsa_OK
Highlands, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

The Westgate is the finest hotel I have ever had the privilege of staying in. It by far exceeded all of my expectations!! The employees were all very polite and accommodating.
Walking distance to the Gaslamp area and PETCO Park.
We had room service for Breakfast and it was very good!
Valet Parking.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I'm in my early thirties, single and travelling alone to San Diego for a vacation. I booked this 4-star hotel through Priceline for $80, which was an excellent deal. However, upon doing some research I realized there was a $15 resort fee, which includes free bottles of water in the room, wifi and use of their gym. Though I was surprised to hear they didn't have a pool, which I think is unfortunate. I mean which "resort" doesn't have a pool? Parking is also an additional $35, which is on the steeper end.

Overall, I enjoyed very much my stay at the Westgate Hotel. I had a room on the 14th floor and away from the elevators as other reviewers had suggested. The rooms were quite, large and felt very spacious, as was the washroom. Some people commented negatively on their beds, but I found them comfortable and they didn't bother me at all. Their nightly "turn-down" service was a nice, classy touch. Besides checking in and out, I didn't have many dealings with their staff but overall their service was friendly, polite and prompt. And finally, the location of the hotel was phenomenal, approximately 2 minute walk away from the Gaslamp district. I would certainly stay here again if I were in San Diego again.

Room Tip: As with any hotel, you can't go wrong with a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo