“Nice Place, Okay location”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #110 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Nice Place, Okay location”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I was at this hotel for a conference, so it's not a hotel I chose. There are actually two Sheraton locations real close to each other and I think they're the same hotel, just different "towers", which are maybe a 10-15 walk apart. I stayed in the marina tower of the main hotel. I was impressed with the lobby and the first impressions of the place, very nice, big and open. My room was large, with a balcony overlooking downtown. Every room has a balcony which I liked. The bathroom and room was clean, and I'm usually pretty picky about that. I was disappointed there was no microwave or even fridge in the room. There was a mini-bar, but it was not cold and it was riduculously overpriced. The staff was nice, but I didn't need their assistance hardly at all. My main disappointment was the location, for a few different reasons. First, it's literally across the street from the airport. I could easily hear the planes from my room, but at night there weren't many, so sleeping at night was okay. But they start again around 6 am. Secondly, this hotel is 2.8 miles walking distance to Seaport Village and douwntown which is a shopping area on the water. I know it's 2.8 miles becasue I walked it several times, which, at a brisk pace took me about 45 minutes. I did not have a car, but if I did, I'd have to pay over $20/day to park it. There is no entertainment or dining within walking distance. There are two restaurants in the hotel, one nice one and one bar/pub. And also a Starbucks. Both are overpriced. I paid $22 for breakfast buffet. $16 for a burger. However, if you walk along the marina towards the other tower, there is a deli along the sidewalk open around 7am-5pm-ish that serves breakfast and lunch/dinner that has good food at a reasonable price. I found this place on day 3 of 3 of my conference and wish I had found it earlier, as the lunch served at my conference was awful. Lastly, I was surprised they didn't have wireless in the ballroom/conference rooms. This made a work-related conference inconvenient. Overall this was a nice hotel, but I was very disappointed in the location and how they nickel and dime you for everything.

Room Tip: Walk towards the non-main hotel tower for a cheap deli that has a good selection
1 Thank mschuh03
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My stay on Sat, April 28, 2011 was a last minute reservation due to a need for an extra night in San Diego, the extreme rate at the Marriott ($325 for an avg room) and a very early a.m. flight necessitating being at the airport at 5am. I found the Sheraton online via Orbitz with same day availability under $200/ni.

Pros: The room was good size. The price was good in comparison to other options. The check-in was easy, fast and they had a room ready at upon early arrival at noon. There were a couple of decent onsite choices for meals (affordable). They have an onsite spa/fitness center - so I could squeeze in a no-frills massage.

Cons: The room was musty smelling and showed plenty of signs of wear and tear. The 'view' was of the parking lot and on the 5th floor it was too easy to hear traffic noise, people talking, etc. The Sheraton wanted to charge a daily rate for internet access (when will SPG group get with the program?? Priority - aka Intercontinentals and Holiday Inns - offer free wi-fi to guests. Great for biz travelers).

Another pro: while it is 'across the street' from the airport - it's still a bit of a hike wheeling luggage. The Sheraton provides shuttle service every 15 mins - even at 5 am. Very convenient for that.

Good, solid property if you aren't looking for anything too fancy and don't mind a little bit of noise.

Room Tip: Choose the Marina side.
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The location is ok. For $196 a night I expected more.

The ugly:
$22 to self park in a dirt lot
$15 buffalo nuggets at the bar that made Mc'Ds look good
2 inch gap under the joining room door which allowed noise and smoke to enter our room
No refrigerator in the room
Wi-Fi is not free in the room
Noise from airport
Pool closed at 5pm on Sat night
$7 domestic beer
Staff was indifferent

Save yourself the trouble and $ and book somewhere else.

1 Thank SurfNomad
DanielaDelgado, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear SurNomad,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to learn we did not meet your expectations while staying with us. Although we do not provide refrigerators in our guestrooms, we do deliver them to the rooms at no extra cost upon request. We also provide complimentary WiFi in our lobby along with the Link@Sheraton with PC workstations and free printing to keep our guests connected and for your convenience. We do hope the unexpected Lagoon Pool closure did not cause an inconvenience to you as this matter was outside of the hotel’s control, and that you were able to use one of our other 2 pools on property. We are disappointed to learn of your feedback regarding our staff, and we are interested in learning more details of your stay and connecting with you personally so we may follow up with this matter internally. If you have a moment, please email me at your earliest chance. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will find it helpful for a future stay.
Daniela.Delgado@Sheraton.com

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Alton
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We had a great experience and enjoyed the view of the marina from our room. While there I lost my driver's liscense and two days later I realized it was missing. I phoned the hotel and was connected to lost and found and left a message to please return my call. My call was returned promptly and Nicolas said the liscense had been found. He sent it overnight to my son's home and it arrived by FedEx by 10:30am. I am so grateful for such good service and that Nicolas followed thru as he said. Thank you so much Nicolas, it made the remainder of my trip much easier. I will always remember your kindness and when visiting your city in the future I will be staying at the Sheraton SanDiego Hotel & Marina

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Alice R,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and lovely marina views from your room. We are also glad Nicolas was able to assist you with your missing items and delivered your items so promptly. We will share your kind feedback with him. Thank you again for your 5 Star review and we are looking forward to your future stays with us.
Seattle
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This is definitely a case of the good, bad and the ugly. One one hand, the hotel is located immediately adjacent to the airport, which creates a really terrible situation for many rooms which are subjected to ongoing jet noise. The side of the hotel which faces the airport and the eastern most wing is close to the point of takeoff on the main runway ..so the jet noise starts very early in the morning (6-7AM) and continues to late at night (11-12pm). If you really want peace and quiet, don't choose this hotel!!! I have stayed at airport hotels in other parts of the world, and this is the worst example I know of. The one saving grace for this location may be a view, if you happen to have a room facing the bay, you can enjoy a nice view of the marina and downtown San Diego skyline.
There are numerous other service issues which plague this hotel, ranging from inadequate attention to staffing at the front desk (particularly for Starwood Preferred guests) which lead to overly long waits for handling any issue, problems with daily room service for upkeep of rooms, and problems with card key access to the rooms. It turned out that I needed to get my room key cards reissued every day, since almost every day they stopped working for unknown reasons.
Security finally decided to change the entire lock on the door to solve the problem! Most of the staff are in need of additional training. For club level guests, morning food service is monotonous and only of average quality.

Room Tip: request bay view and western most wing.
Dear drwizardsea,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We are disappointed to learn of the drawbacks you experienced while staying with us. Being located in close proximity to the San Diego Airport makes for an easy commute in our complimentary shuttle, but unfortunately does make for some airport related noise that can normally be avoided by closing the balcony doors in the guestrooms. We are interested in connecting with you to learn more details of the service challenges you mentioned and your room number to research the noise levels you experienced. If you have a moment, please email me at Daniela.Delgado@Sheraton.com. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to hear from you soon.