“Great view, terrible airport noise and bad service” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #118 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“Great view, terrible airport noise and bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

This is definitely a case of the good, bad and the ugly. One one hand, the hotel is located immediately adjacent to the airport, which creates a really terrible situation for many rooms which are subjected to ongoing jet noise. The side of the hotel which faces the airport and the eastern most wing is close to the point of takeoff on the main runway ..so the jet noise starts very early in the morning (6-7AM) and continues to late at night (11-12pm). If you really want peace and quiet, don't choose this hotel!!! I have stayed at airport hotels in other parts of the world, and this is the worst example I know of. The one saving grace for this location may be a view, if you happen to have a room facing the bay, you can enjoy a nice view of the marina and downtown San Diego skyline.
There are numerous other service issues which plague this hotel, ranging from inadequate attention to staffing at the front desk (particularly for Starwood Preferred guests) which lead to overly long waits for handling any issue, problems with daily room service for upkeep of rooms, and problems with card key access to the rooms. It turned out that I needed to get my room key cards reissued every day, since almost every day they stopped working for unknown reasons.
Security finally decided to change the entire lock on the door to solve the problem! Most of the staff are in need of additional training. For club level guests, morning food service is monotonous and only of average quality.

Room Tip: request bay view and western most wing.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DanielaDelgado, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear drwizardsea,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We are disappointed to learn of the drawbacks you experienced while staying with us. Being located in close proximity to the San Diego Airport makes for an easy commute in our complimentary shuttle, but unfortunately does make for some airport related noise that can normally be avoided by closing the balcony doors in the guestrooms. We are interested in connecting with you to learn more details of the service challenges you mentioned and your room number to research the noise levels you experienced. If you have a moment, please email me at Daniela.Delgado@Sheraton.com. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to hear from you soon.
Daniela Delgado
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

This is a very nice property close to the airport and by a marina in lovely San Diego.
My husband and I have stayed here on previous occasions - usually overnighting before a cruise.
This trip we spent 7 days at the hotel with a room overlooking the marina. Previous reviewers are correct that there are two distinct properties so advised to check which one is most suitable.
As it is a little out of the downtown area - you either need to rent a car (but be forewarned overnight on site parking is $22.00 per night) or take the shuttle to the airport which runs frequently and is 7 minutes away and then catch the 992 city bus which takes you by the cruise ships and then turns to downtown and the trolley connections. Its fun if you don't mind public transportation and for $5.00 you can purchase a day pass which you can even use to get to Sea World/the wonderful Zoo or Mission Beach.
The service at the hotel is very good - the front desk personnel were always friendly.
If you have a breakfast package you do get a breakfast buffet daily. The staff there varies and the service isn't great. But for OJ, coffee and a croissant its fine.
The main hotel has a beautiful pool and complete fitness centre. The other hotel has a pool
but the fitness centre is undergoing renovations and will be reopening in the future.
All in all this is a great spot for visiting San Diego and area. If you can get a reasonable rate and are staying long enough to get the special breakfast buffet its a good deal for the area.

Room Tip: There was some noise as there are lots of groups staying there and they come and go. But overall th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear karlowsj,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us during your San Diego getaway. Taking our complimentary shuttle to the airport to catch the city bus is a great way to explore the city so we are glad you took this option. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you will visit us again for a future stay.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I work for Sheraton Hotel myself, and I absolutely loved this hotel..its in a such a beautiful location, the view from my room and plus from the entire hotel was amazing! I was upgraded to 12th floor with the club lounge access which was fantastic with a great breakfast every morning. Elsa, from the club lounge was so friendly and nice. The service was outstanding. Helpful staff and very accommodating. Mark (i believe his name was) from the front desk was very friendly, had good sense of humor and extremely helpful. I will definitely come back if I ever visit San Diego again.

Room Tip: Marina tower, higher floor is a plus. However, view is amazing from any location of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Pinar B,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, including out location, Club Lounge, and friendly associates. Thank you for mentioning Mark and Elsa. We will share your kind comments with them and they will be very pleased to know they made your stay special. Thank you again for your recommendation and we are looking forward to your future visits.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I travel to San Diego often on business and finally settled on the Sheraton Marina as my home base when in the city. The staff has always treated me well and I look forward to my visits as this has become something of a second home for me. I could stay at another Sheraton in the downtown area, but I really like coming out onto the balcony and either looking out over the marina, or the city lights, depending on which side of the hotel I am on. The standard king size rooms are more spacious than a number of the other San Diego hotels I have stayed at and the beds are quite comfy. I feel more like I am on vacation, not working, when I walk into the room.

Although the restaurant doesn't ever seem to crowded I really like the food; the pork loin, ahi stack and scallops are my favorite.

Room Tip: Sometimes the airport can be pretty noisy when planes start taking off at 6am. Usually, this has on...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We are from the San Diego area and It was our wedding weekend. I decided to book a suite for me and my husband along with 2 additional rooms for my friends due to the location of where we were having our wedding. When we checked in we were advised that we were entitled to a $50 per day food and beverage credit that could be used in any of their restaurants and the mini bar in our room due to the package that we had booked. I had ten reverified with the representative at the front desk that it did included the mini bar in our room and she said yes. When I received our bill via e-mail, I found that we were billed for using the mini bar. I then contacted the front desk at the hotel directly and I was advised that they could not make any adjustments and I would have to contact their accounting department the next day because they were closed. I then had asked the front desk representative if I had checked out face to face and had looked at the bill prior to leaving and had seen the charges, would she had corrected the bill at that time? She said yes they would have but because the bill had already been sent via e-mail she could not credit the account. Just a note. During our entire conversation not once did she apologize. Ridiculous! The next day I contacted their accounting department and was advised that the girl at the front desk should not have advised me of that because the mini bars where owned by an outside company. Huh? At the end of that conversation the accounting department agreed to credit my card.

Another issue during our stay there was the hotel had young adults staying there which we heard were from some fraternities. The first night of our stay they played music but ended because we figured they had gone out somewhere else to party. The second night which was the day of our wedding, we arrived in our room at around 11:45 p.m. only to hear loud partying going on above us. My husband then when out on our balcony and looked up to their balcony and asked politely to hold it down because it was almost midnight and then were other guests in the hotel. The group then gave him some back talk so he advised he was going to make a call. He then contacted the front desk and advised them of the loud noises. They told him they would check into to it. He then told the front desk he did not want it checked into but that he wanted it taken care of. Some time then passed and the noise seemed to be getting louder. My husband then contacted the front desk again and advised them if it was not taken care of that he would just contact the police by dialing 911 and that the hotel could just deal with the police when they got there. He was then told no, don't do that and said they could transfer him to the hotel manager which they did only to have him remain on hold listening to music. He then hung up and dialed an outside line and called 911 since there was absolutely no urgency on the hotels part to assist us. After my husband dialed 911 and received their recording he hung up and figured the police would just call the hotel back. Immediately after he hung up the phone rang and some gentleman said that he was coming up to our room. We then let him and a security person in the room so they could come on and hear the noise we were encountering. They went out to the balcony and then the loud noise began again. I told the gentlemen that is what we have been dealing with . Then one of the gentlemen made the most ridiculous comment. He said it was a fraternity. I said what does that have to do with it as if because it was a fraternity they could make all the noise they wanted to. They then said they would go up there and after they did the noise had stopped.

This hotel has no concern for their guests and no concern at all for customer service. We could not believe we had to go through all of this during our wedding weekend. We travel often and have stayed at many, many hotels but this is the worst experience we have ever been through. I do have to say this hotel does have great views of the bay and downtown but if you are looking for views and not customer service and concerns for their guests, then go ahead and take your chances by having a terrible experience at this hotel. We would never stay here again and never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Susan C
Dear Susan C,
Please accept my apologies for a terribly disappointing recent stay with us. Clearly we fell short on several levels, and truly regret the experience you had while staying with us. I would like to personally speak with you and attempt to make things right. If possible would you call me so that we may have a chance to speak?
Kind regards,