“Great staff and lovely facilities”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #116 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Great staff and lovely facilities”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I travel to San Diego often on business and finally settled on the Sheraton Marina as my home base when in the city. The staff has always treated me well and I look forward to my visits as this has become something of a second home for me. I could stay at another Sheraton in the downtown area, but I really like coming out onto the balcony and either looking out over the marina, or the city lights, depending on which side of the hotel I am on. The standard king size rooms are more spacious than a number of the other San Diego hotels I have stayed at and the beds are quite comfy. I feel more like I am on vacation, not working, when I walk into the room.

Although the restaurant doesn't ever seem to crowded I really like the food; the pork loin, ahi stack and scallops are my favorite.

Room Tip: Sometimes the airport can be pretty noisy when planes start taking off at 6am. Usually, this has on...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We are from the San Diego area and It was our wedding weekend. I decided to book a suite for me and my husband along with 2 additional rooms for my friends due to the location of where we were having our wedding. When we checked in we were advised that we were entitled to a $50 per day food and beverage credit that could be used in any of their restaurants and the mini bar in our room due to the package that we had booked. I had ten reverified with the representative at the front desk that it did included the mini bar in our room and she said yes. When I received our bill via e-mail, I found that we were billed for using the mini bar. I then contacted the front desk at the hotel directly and I was advised that they could not make any adjustments and I would have to contact their accounting department the next day because they were closed. I then had asked the front desk representative if I had checked out face to face and had looked at the bill prior to leaving and had seen the charges, would she had corrected the bill at that time? She said yes they would have but because the bill had already been sent via e-mail she could not credit the account. Just a note. During our entire conversation not once did she apologize. Ridiculous! The next day I contacted their accounting department and was advised that the girl at the front desk should not have advised me of that because the mini bars where owned by an outside company. Huh? At the end of that conversation the accounting department agreed to credit my card.

Another issue during our stay there was the hotel had young adults staying there which we heard were from some fraternities. The first night of our stay they played music but ended because we figured they had gone out somewhere else to party. The second night which was the day of our wedding, we arrived in our room at around 11:45 p.m. only to hear loud partying going on above us. My husband then when out on our balcony and looked up to their balcony and asked politely to hold it down because it was almost midnight and then were other guests in the hotel. The group then gave him some back talk so he advised he was going to make a call. He then contacted the front desk and advised them of the loud noises. They told him they would check into to it. He then told the front desk he did not want it checked into but that he wanted it taken care of. Some time then passed and the noise seemed to be getting louder. My husband then contacted the front desk again and advised them if it was not taken care of that he would just contact the police by dialing 911 and that the hotel could just deal with the police when they got there. He was then told no, don't do that and said they could transfer him to the hotel manager which they did only to have him remain on hold listening to music. He then hung up and dialed an outside line and called 911 since there was absolutely no urgency on the hotels part to assist us. After my husband dialed 911 and received their recording he hung up and figured the police would just call the hotel back. Immediately after he hung up the phone rang and some gentleman said that he was coming up to our room. We then let him and a security person in the room so they could come on and hear the noise we were encountering. They went out to the balcony and then the loud noise began again. I told the gentlemen that is what we have been dealing with . Then one of the gentlemen made the most ridiculous comment. He said it was a fraternity. I said what does that have to do with it as if because it was a fraternity they could make all the noise they wanted to. They then said they would go up there and after they did the noise had stopped.

This hotel has no concern for their guests and no concern at all for customer service. We could not believe we had to go through all of this during our wedding weekend. We travel often and have stayed at many, many hotels but this is the worst experience we have ever been through. I do have to say this hotel does have great views of the bay and downtown but if you are looking for views and not customer service and concerns for their guests, then go ahead and take your chances by having a terrible experience at this hotel. We would never stay here again and never recommend this hotel to anyone.

5 Thank Susan C
DanielaDelgado, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Susan C,
Please accept my apologies for a terribly disappointing recent stay with us. Clearly we fell short on several levels, and truly regret the experience you had while staying with us. I would like to personally speak with you and attempt to make things right. If possible would you call me so that we may have a chance to speak?
Kind regards,
Daniela Delgado
(619)692-2281

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Fullerton, CA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We called on Saturday a.m. to see if there was any way we could check in at noon since we were finishing a 200 mile relay race and were looking forward to showering. The person who answered the phone was very rude and said, "you booked through Priceline, so we won't do any special favors for you." I wasn't aware booking through Priceline made you a second class citizen! The fun continued when we realized the hotel had booked hundreds of college students who ran up and down the halls at all hours of the night. The guys were urinating off the balcony into the pool below, and throwing cups of beer. I also found our bathroom was not clean, and the hotel was dated. The location is nice (view of Marina), but I won't be staying here again.

4 Thank leahm07
Dear leahm07,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We value all of our guests regardless of how they book their room, and please accept our sincere apologies as the response you mentioned is unacceptable and certainly not what we want to convey to our guests. If you have a moment, please contact me at your earliest convenience at Daniela.Delgado@Sheraton.com so we may learn more details of your stay and follow up with a training opportunity for our team. Please note that our security team has been made aware of the noise and activity that occurred and is in the process of an investigation.Thank you again for your feedback and we are looking forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Daniela Delgado
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our room was very nice. We enjoyed the balcony overlooking San Diego Bay. We stayed in the Bay Tower versus the Marina Tower. We didn't realize they were two separate buildings when we booked. We looked forward to the Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel but it was in the Marina tower building about half a mile down the road. There was Starbucks in the rooms with the coffee pot - single cup brewer. They offered an option to go green, not get fresh towels etc. everyday and we received a $5.00 coupon for use in the hotel restaurants and Starbucks. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much.

Very easy access to lots of attractions: Old Town, down town area, Balboa park. There is a great trolley service that runs all through the city around $35 for the day. You can get on and off all day long. Well worth the price.

Room Tip: We liked the Bay view room. We could see the cruise ships and other boats going out to sea and we a...
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I just returned from staying at this hotel with a friend for one night. The hotel itself is very nice and the rooms are quite large with very comfortable beds. We did not use any of the hotels amenities such as wi-fi or the pool, so I can't say anything about that. The only area that should be pointed out to those looking at staying here is that it is very close to the airport. When the airport starts operating about 6:30 am you can really hear the jets taking off and landing. So if you are a light sleeper or want to sleep late, you may want to consider another option.

Room Tip: To help avoid airplane noise, I would request a room on the southern most wing of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends