8,571 results
All reviewsseaport villageharbor toweruss midwayconvention centerhuge hoteladult poolwithin walking distancecoronado islandgaslamp quartercorner roomself parkingthe gas lamp districtbusiness conferencepetco parkfire pitfloordowntown
Reviewed 15 November 2010

location was perfect near the water and there was a little walking trail that was pleasant to do alongside the harbor there was a lot to see in walkable distance was a little shopping village that had restaurants and boutiques. if you walked further inland there was an indoor shopping mall with the usual stores, Nordies, Macys, and some very nice eateries. we also walked to church for sunday services.

The location is near the train station, so it's convenient for travelers.

The weather was remarkable for early spring. Nice and warm. No rain.

The staff here were helpful. Especially when we needed more in-room coffee, and when we wanted to find a nearby church with easter service. The staff provided all this.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
KSpitz, Electronic Sales & Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2010

Dear endcapps,
Thank you so much for reviewing us here on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of the easy location and surrounding shopping and attractions. We hope we see you back here in sunny San Diego soon!

Best Regards,
Kristin Spitz

Reviewed 15 November 2010

I stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt from November 7th to the 13th. A conference I attended was hosted there. The general hotel is very large and sprawled out with two very tours. There is a bar on the 40th(?) floor with magnificent views of the harbor and city.
The room I stayed in was nice clean. It had a king size bed, soft and comfortable, however the comforters made it a bit hot for my liking. The air-conditioning system kept the room cool, but I think it was a bit of an aged system as the fan would blow hard for a few minutes, shut down for a few minutes, then repeat. I had some allergy problems on this trip and I suspect the AC filters were to blame; it wasn’t that bad so I didn’t address the problem. The bathrooms was pretty standard, it was clean and worked well. However, one problem, the shower head can move up and down a pipe, so you could adjust the height to your desires. The problem was the shower wouldn’t stay locked into position, and kept slipping down, very annoying.
I ate at their breakfast buffet one morning, very good selection, and excellent food, but also very expensive IMHO, $28.00. I also had diner one evening at the lobby bar and once in another bar on the other tower. The food selection was a bit shallow, but it was tasty and well prepared food. Expect beer to cost $5.50 to $8.00 a bottle.
As I attended a conference at this hotel, I will also comment on those facilities. There were a number of small, medium, and large conference rooms available. The hotel also has two general session rooms that comfortably held all 600 of us. One of the general session sized rooms was for breakfast and lunch, and one was for general session presentations. Both rooms could have easily held more people. I think the hotel did a fine job hosting the conference, the meals were good, and the area was well maintained. Two small problems: the rooms were rather cool (most people would have said cold), and the area was sprawled out among different floors, and there was some long walks between rooms
On a more fun note, I visited the USS Midway museum and the San Diego Zoo. The USS Midway is an aircraft carrier docked in the bay, and is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Give yourself at least four hours to go through the ship. They have US Veterans there telling stories and talking about life on ship. In addition to the ship, they have lots of air craft of various vintages. The San Diego Zoo is a $15 taxi ride from the hotel. I was there for 5 hours, and could have stayed longer, but was tired (I had traveled that day). The zoo is immense, expect a lot of walking, and it isn’t all level. They have lots of great exhibits, well worth the cost of entrance.
Also, the "Top Gun Bar" is across the road from this hotel, it's worth going to.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank jhulsla
Reviewed 15 November 2010

This is a magnificent hotel, which seems to be focused primarily on conventions, but that was my purpose so it worked well.

The positives: perfect location, great views, lots of space, good pool area and spa, excellent food/beverage, great service, good beds.

A couple of flaws: something was going on with the water in the shower, going from hot to cold and back often, which was painful. The charges for internet are very high. It was very noisy one night. Also, some friends said that when the big train came through each night it woke them up, but I didn't hear it -- I was on a high floor.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I stayed on the Seaport Tower side and my room was very updated. I'm wondering if the other tower is the one where the rooms need remodeling? Do be prepared for pricey extras.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel. It's close to everything and right on the trolley route.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Let me start off by saying I booked this hotel through Priceline and got what I felt was, an amazing deal. I paid about $90 compared to the $199 they were charging on other sites for this hotel. I was ready to be impressed. The hotel is very grandiose and reminds you of an old movie. The best part about this hotel was its central location. It is a 10 minute walk to Gaslamp and you can see the ocean from the top of the hotel. Other amenities include a pool and bonfire pits. The gym has a $5 charge per day I think? Also, parking is an arm and a leg. I paid $25 a day. Internet is $12.95 for minimal capabilities. If you want "business" level internet I think that is $16.

It seems like a great hotel, however, it may be that because I booked through Priceline but the charm soon faded after I checked in. I came 1.5hrs early which is a little early but not early enough to skimp on quality. I was on the 8th level which I cannot complain about but if you can work your charm with the front desk, I suggest something a lot higher. When I got to my room, I noticed that the maid had just finished cleaning my room. I felt like she just rushed through to get her job done but did not thoroughly clean the room. When I went to the restroom, the toilet seat was still wet. There was remnants of something still in the sink. There was also lotion or some kind of liquid (who knows what!!?) sprayed across the wall onto the frame in the restroom. Although these things are minor, it made me paranoid the entire day about the other things she probably skipped on. I did not feel comfortable knowing that she rushed through cleaning. I felt that the room is aged, it will probably need to be upgraded in the near future. Overall, I felt like I was ripped off even though I paid half of the price. Booking through Priceline should not be different from everyone else but I'm sure the hotel has different views. I am a paying customer and I should be able to stay in a room that I KNOW has been thoroughly cleaned.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt with our two year old and four year old. The staff was accomodating with our request to have a microwave in the room. The lobby is gorgeous. Too bad the room we were in did not match the glamour of the lobby. Rooms need renovating. Location was great-- could see the water and Petco Park stadium outside of our window. The best part of the hotel was the gym. Top notch equipment with towel and water service. Proximity to the ocean and Seaport Village is also a major plus.
Would stay again. Just watch out for the parking fees-- we weren't expecting an additional $20 a night for parking.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family