Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
US$ 168
Residence Inn
US$ 166
ExtendedStay
The Westin San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 412
US$ 348
US$ 177
US$ 142
Hotels.com
Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 248
US$ 224
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Mission Valley(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 171
US$ 366
US$ 330
US$ 165
  • Breakfast included
Kings Inn San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 145
US$ 131
Agoda.com
8,191 results
All reviewsseaport villageharbor toweruss midwayconvention centerhuge hotelwithin walking distanceadult poolcoronado islandgaslamp quartercorner roomself parkingthe gas lamp districtbusiness conferencepetco parkfire pitfloordowntown
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed here for a couple of nights attending a conference. While the location on the waterfront and close to downtown area is excellent, the hotel itself was a bit of a disappointment for me.

I changed rooms during my stay because my first room on the 29th floor in the Harbor Tower was directly above the set of elevators that serve floors 1 to 28 and therefore was quite noisy. My request was handled professionally, no questions asked.

I found the rooms and bathrooms to be quite dated and the service (aside from the front desk) quite sloppy. A couple of examples: in one room the “wired” internet connection wasn’t physically connected to anything, while it the other room it was. The “free” wired/wireless internet service is pretty much useless. When I arrived in the first room one of the water bottles available for purchase for $4.50 was open and half-empty (I wasn’t charged for it though). There were used dishes from a previous guest outside the door of my second room, and were not cleared away until late evening. This is not what I expect of a Grand Hyatt hotel.

My recent stay at the Bayfront Hilton "next door" was a much better experience and I would not stay at this Grand Hyatt again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Raoulsch
KSpitz, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2011

Dear Raoulsch,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our property on TripAdvisor. We monitor these reviews closely to truly get a pulse on our guests' experiences during their stay, so we thank you for the candid feedback.
Please know that I have shared your concerns with our Housekeeping Manager and Rooms Director who will address your comments about the opened water bottle, dishes in the hall and internet access in your guest room.
You'll also be happy to hear we are renovating all of our guest rooms starting in 2012. We hope you'll give us another shot to experience these upgrades firsthand.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Warm Regards,
Kristin Spitz
E-Marketing Manager

Reviewed 2 August 2011

I'm a hyatt platinum member, also a gold hyatt member, my family and I decided to stay at this hyatt on our 7 night vacation because of the location and the pictures on their web site.
We arrived and checked in with a member of their friendly staff, went up to the room only to realize that the place smelt like an "ash tray", with 2 kids 2yrs & 5yrs we headed back down to the platinum checkin desk.
We then payed more to upgrade our room which was on the opposite tower on the 24th floor.
Got to our 2 room apartment, to my discuss the once cream carpet was brown or maybe green, the bathroom tiles was cracked on the floor and the grout was mouldy and
black, in the dresser cabinet there
was holes to the side, I guess it
was missing equipment, the phone
on the desk was DEAD, the IPod
doc did not work, the beds and
sheets seems as old as my mother.
The only updated thing was the TV.
We arrived about 14:00 on a Monday afternoon, the kids immediately wanted to go to the pool, we changed and headed straight over there, it was a good chance for us to get the kids out of this ROOM.
After 10 min at the pool, my wife and I taught we will have a couple cocktails, only to find out there is no bar or restaurant at the pool side on Monday's ( we went back on thursday at 16:00 after the zoo and the said their temporary bar set up had closed) so I had to go 4 levels down a log back up 5 drinks + peanuts + chips.
On a better note service at the hotel and the dinner we had at Sally's was great also was the buffet breakfast in the hotel the next few mornings.
Room service on the other hand ..... After holding on the phone for over 8 mins the food was awful.
If you don't mind a 2 STAR hotel check it out, if you want better stay far away.

The only updated thins wast the flat screen TV

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank RobRattan

Dear RobRattan,
On behalf of the Manchester Grand Hyatt I'd like to apologize for your recent experience with us. We strive to provide the absolute best in authentic hospitality, customer service and accommodations and are sorry to hear you did not experience this during your stay. I have shared your comments with our management team so we can address the room conditions and service at the pool. Our pool grill is closed Mondays and Tuesdays and is seasonal Memorial Day through Labor Day. During slow periods or bad weather, we will also shut down the pool grill and have room service accommodate guests. Again, I apologize you did not receive this option. Please know that we are following up with staff internally so this does not happen moving forward.
I'm also happy to share that we are in the planning stages for a complete room renovation set to start in 2012. We are very excited and hope you'll give us another shot so you can experience these upgrades firsthand.

Warmest Regards,
Kristin Spitz
E-Marketing Manager
Manchester Grand Hyatt

Reviewed 2 August 2011

This beautiful hotel is a must stay. Super convenient to just about everything. Basically it's a walk across the street to the "Gas Lamp" district, Seacoast Village, Petco Park, and the beautiful waterfront. The rooms were nice and clean. Great views from most of them too.
The only draw back would be the parking fee or else I would have given it 5 stars!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Being this hotel is one of the few Grand Hyatt’s in the United States, I expected top notch service from the time the contract was signed until we left the hotel after the event. I did receive great service from the staff on site; however the planning and implementation of the event could have gone a lot smoother.

The areas of note are below:

1) Beginning two weeks prior to the event, I requested the BEO 2-3 times via email and phone call from our Senior Catering Manager and finally received it days before the event after reaching his assistant.
2) The AV order was finalized only 2 days before the event because I couldn’t reach the AV department and the Senior Catering Manager on our account didn’t take initiative to coordinate the basic AV needs for us.
3) When arriving, the room was set-up incorrectly – nothing close to what was indicated on the BEO.
4) I emailed our final guarantee 3 days prior to the event and my contact confirmed receipt – however failed to communicate that to the banquet team because upon arrival the room was set for 3x as many people.
5) We were the only group in house with the exception of a large convention on the other side of the hotel – however our room placement was in the far corner of the ballroom so our attendees had to walk to the end of the ballroom to find us.
6) Our registration desk and meeting room entrance was located right next to where PSAV enters their offices. There was no concern on their end to not allow the door to slam nor did they consider turning down their radios when nearing our room. PSAV reps entered and exited the door (allowing it to slam each time) approximately 30 times throughout the day – this was very disruptive to our event because you could hear their commotion over the presenter.
7) The meeting concierge validated our parking for the day – but failed to mention that the validation we received was good for only 3 hours. Since we’d parked on property longer than the maximum allowable time, we had to pay the full valet rate of $38 – meaning the 3 hour validation became null.

I have been a meeting planner for over 15 years and have not been this disappointed with a venue ever. I do not plan to return to this facility and will probably steer clear of Grand Hyatt’s all together. With a little more organization and planning on the hotel's side these things could have been avoided.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for four days as part of a business conference. The hotel is definitely opulent and in front of Seaport Village. A friend stayed with me - our hotel room was nothing terribly exciting - clean, airy with in-room safe and fridge. No microwave and no air fan in the bathroom. Our hotel room overlooked the spacious pool - which we didn't get a chance to try out.

As a hotel guest, I did try out the 24 hour fitness centre. It is one of the better fitness centres that I've seen with full circuit weight machines, rows of ellipticals, bikes and treadmills, and a small mirrored wall area with cables, yoga mats, Bosu, and medicine balls. Fresh eucalpytus scented towels and water are included in the fitness centre, so you need to only bring down yourself. I'm not a big fan of working out while on business or vacation, but this fitness centre made it really hard to resist.

I didn't get to experience any of the restaurants on-site, with the exception of two. The lobby area serves as a lounge and you can order drinks and a full meal. The service is not very good between 9 pm - 11 pm. I wouldn't wait there for a meal, but perhaps to take in a drink or two (tip: sit at the bar so you get faster service). The other thing to denote for caffeine lovers - there is no Starbucks on site. The nearest one is across the street located at another hotel. There is a small coffee shop on-site that serves Starbucks coffee, but it's quite expensive, the food selection is not great and the line-ups are very long. They get a lot of business, undoubtedly from conference delegates who are caffeine-deprived, but the food and drink is really not very good for such a grand hotel.

The hotel is within walking distance to downtown San Diego and it felt quite safe walking there during the day and night. If you don't want to go that far, you can always explore the restaurants and trinkets in Seaport Village, although it becomes quite deserted at night (not recommeded if you travel solo at night). Great coffee and eats await you in Seaport and there is a very lovely bookstore/cafe there that is absolutely charming and doesn't smell at all like Indigo or Barnes & Nobles. Seaport Village has a great seawall that you walk around for about 30 minutes in length - both ways. A great walk, especially if you have a dog.

If you're looking to get out of the area and venture into outlet shopping, you can take the trolley bus to the Las Americas Outlet, just outside the Mexican border. I went to this outlet about five years ago and scored big, but this time came back empty-handed. It's a pretty far trip by trolley and I recommend going during daylight hours. You may spend up to 6 hours there if you're a hard core shopper, less if you're only going to specific stores.

The trolley bus system in general is a bit confusing. Pay attention to the directions and to the bus signs. It is, however, the cheapest way to get around town so a little bit of inconvenience allows you to save your $$ for eats and shopping.

San Diego is a really beautiful city any time of the year. The only other lasting impression I have is that it's a very dog-friendly city. We saw dogs everywhere from hotels to malls and all along Seaport Village (be sure to visit the doggie store in the Village for pampered pooch treats). I don't know if the Hyatt is a dog-friendly hotel, but we did see a few in the lobby so it's worth mentioning.

This hotel is probably the biggest Hyatt that I've ever stayed in. Were it not for the fact that my employer paid for this conference, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to stay at this place for vacation. Even with the minor hiccups (e.g. bad coffee on-site, boring but clean room), it is undoubtedly a 5-star hotel.

The concierge desk also deserves mention as they were unfailing helpful with three requests: 1. getting my fridge up and running; 2. getting immediate drycleaning for my ketchup spill all over my white jacket; and 3. mapping out our transportation routes to get to where we needed to go.

My conclusion: if you are staying here for your conference - lucky you! Make time to enjoy the scenery outside the hotel and its on-site facilities. If you are debating on whether to book this hotel for your next San Diego vacation, try finding a price break on Hotwire or Priceline. You won't regret it once you pull up to the hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is pretty quiet, but probably request a higher floor (floor 14+). Rooms come with fridge and in-room safe.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business