US$ 106
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 150/night.

US$ 139
ExtendedStay
The Westin San Diego(San Diego)
US$ 253
US$ 192
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 264/night.

US$ 212
US$ 191
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 292/night.

The Horton Grand Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 146
  • Restaurant
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$ 192
US$ 176
US$ 93
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 58% below average rates

The price you found is 58% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 222/night.

The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 213
US$ 179
US$ 680
US$ 303
Agoda.com
8,430 results
All reviewsseaport villageharbor toweruss midwayconvention centerhuge hoteladult poolwithin walking distancecoronado islandgaslamp quartercorner roomself parkingthe gas lamp districtbusiness conferencepetco parkfire pitfloordowntown
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for four days as part of a business conference. The hotel is definitely opulent and in front of Seaport Village. A friend stayed with me - our hotel room was nothing terribly exciting - clean, airy with in-room safe and fridge. No microwave and no air fan in the bathroom. Our hotel room overlooked the spacious pool - which we didn't get a chance to try out.

As a hotel guest, I did try out the 24 hour fitness centre. It is one of the better fitness centres that I've seen with full circuit weight machines, rows of ellipticals, bikes and treadmills, and a small mirrored wall area with cables, yoga mats, Bosu, and medicine balls. Fresh eucalpytus scented towels and water are included in the fitness centre, so you need to only bring down yourself. I'm not a big fan of working out while on business or vacation, but this fitness centre made it really hard to resist.

I didn't get to experience any of the restaurants on-site, with the exception of two. The lobby area serves as a lounge and you can order drinks and a full meal. The service is not very good between 9 pm - 11 pm. I wouldn't wait there for a meal, but perhaps to take in a drink or two (tip: sit at the bar so you get faster service). The other thing to denote for caffeine lovers - there is no Starbucks on site. The nearest one is across the street located at another hotel. There is a small coffee shop on-site that serves Starbucks coffee, but it's quite expensive, the food selection is not great and the line-ups are very long. They get a lot of business, undoubtedly from conference delegates who are caffeine-deprived, but the food and drink is really not very good for such a grand hotel.

The hotel is within walking distance to downtown San Diego and it felt quite safe walking there during the day and night. If you don't want to go that far, you can always explore the restaurants and trinkets in Seaport Village, although it becomes quite deserted at night (not recommeded if you travel solo at night). Great coffee and eats await you in Seaport and there is a very lovely bookstore/cafe there that is absolutely charming and doesn't smell at all like Indigo or Barnes & Nobles. Seaport Village has a great seawall that you walk around for about 30 minutes in length - both ways. A great walk, especially if you have a dog.

If you're looking to get out of the area and venture into outlet shopping, you can take the trolley bus to the Las Americas Outlet, just outside the Mexican border. I went to this outlet about five years ago and scored big, but this time came back empty-handed. It's a pretty far trip by trolley and I recommend going during daylight hours. You may spend up to 6 hours there if you're a hard core shopper, less if you're only going to specific stores.

The trolley bus system in general is a bit confusing. Pay attention to the directions and to the bus signs. It is, however, the cheapest way to get around town so a little bit of inconvenience allows you to save your $$ for eats and shopping.

San Diego is a really beautiful city any time of the year. The only other lasting impression I have is that it's a very dog-friendly city. We saw dogs everywhere from hotels to malls and all along Seaport Village (be sure to visit the doggie store in the Village for pampered pooch treats). I don't know if the Hyatt is a dog-friendly hotel, but we did see a few in the lobby so it's worth mentioning.

This hotel is probably the biggest Hyatt that I've ever stayed in. Were it not for the fact that my employer paid for this conference, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to stay at this place for vacation. Even with the minor hiccups (e.g. bad coffee on-site, boring but clean room), it is undoubtedly a 5-star hotel.

The concierge desk also deserves mention as they were unfailing helpful with three requests: 1. getting my fridge up and running; 2. getting immediate drycleaning for my ketchup spill all over my white jacket; and 3. mapping out our transportation routes to get to where we needed to go.

My conclusion: if you are staying here for your conference - lucky you! Make time to enjoy the scenery outside the hotel and its on-site facilities. If you are debating on whether to book this hotel for your next San Diego vacation, try finding a price break on Hotwire or Priceline. You won't regret it once you pull up to the hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is pretty quiet, but probably request a higher floor (floor 14+). Rooms come with fridge and in-room safe.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Anemone350
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The staff was nice and very informative. $600 for 3 nights, not bad. I had a room with a nice view. But everything else in the hotel was a bit pricey. After spending 3 nights there, the buffet was $24.00 so we ate at Dennys. No wi-fi for the internet. Have to pay extra. $36.00 a day for valet. So they hold $150.00 up front. Got charged for valet for 3 days even though we only used it for one day. Then also got charged the $27.00 per day for the other 2 days we parked our own car. They charge for every little thing. Even bottled water, so bring your own. The walls are thin so you here everything in the next room. If you don't mind the doors slamming even during the week it gets to be bothersome. Liked separate pool with no kids. We did have a frig. Top of the Hyatt drinks are a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view even though it will cost extra. The view is beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Manchester Grand 7/10/11 – 7/15/11 for a conference. Three of my coworkers stayed next door at the Marriott. I had a standard king room in the harbor tower:
- Room was spacious and clean. Yes, the furnishings are a little older and do show some wear but nothing was stained or shabby. Considering the current focus on going green isn’t it better to use perfectly good things longer anyway?
- All of the staff that I interacted with were polite, friendly and helpful.
- Check-in: I arrived early and parked in the garage, then used an automated kiosk in the lobby to see if my room was ready. It wasn’t, but the kiosk gave me the option of receiving a text message when my room was ready. I entered my cell phone # and decided to visit my parents (I’m originally from San Diego). I expected to have to pay since I did park; however, I was in the hotel less than 30 minutes and the parking attendant did not charge a fee. I received a text message later in the day letting me know my room was ready.
- My room was larger than my coworker’s standard room at the Marriott and had a refrigerator – hers did not. Although the water pressure at the sink could be better, the shower was great.
- There is a great bar on top of the harbor tower with fantastic views. My conference ended early one day so I headed up with my ebook. Although the premium margarita I ordered was $14, I spent an hour relaxing, enjoying the view and reading … and it was a darn good marg. All in all, worth the $14.
- Had crab cakes at Sally’s one evening and they were fantastic (much better than the ones I got at a famous restaurant in Baltimore).
- Walking distance: Marriot next door, Seaport Village (it still has some cute shops and restaurants), Midway aircraft carrier museum (worth touring if you have time!), Ralph’s grocery store, CVS, gaslamp district, trolley station, convention center, Star of India, Anthony’s (don’t bother – it’s gone way downhill and no longer deserves the reputation it earned 30 years ago), and the Fish Market.

Pet Peeves:
- The maids did not replace dirty water glasses … in fact one day the dirty glass was turned back over and set on the coaster again.
- I had to ask for more coffee packs on one occasion (but they were replaced daily after that)
- Hyatt stocks the WORST complimentary toiletries in the industry. It’s some sort of musty, musky stinky floral sent that they call “white ginger.” I love the smell of ginger, but their fragrance bears no resemblance to the natural scent. I try to travel light and didn’t bring my own shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Fortunately my coworkers who stayed at the Marriott had mercy on me and shared theirs (Marriott uses great smelling Bath and Bodyworks products).
- Bottom sheets: Hyatt doesn’t purchase fitted sheets, therefore the maids have to make do with top sheets that are inadequate to fully cover the bottom and tuck in securely. I’m an RN with a black belt in bed making. If I can’t get the bottom sheet to stay smooth and secure, nobody can. The bottom sheets come loose and creep up, then the bed pad underneath bunches up, and it’s generally uncomfortable. WTF are they thinking???
- Parking is outrageous at $26/day (with in/out privileges). Standard for the area though.
- Wi-Fi was nearly $13 per day. It makes me nuts that I can get free Wi-Fi at Starbucks, McDonalds, Village Inn, etc. where I’m spending less than $10. It’s downright insulting to be charged for Wi-Fi when I’m already paying $1403.90 for my room + parking.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank 03FLSTF
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Hyatt for Comic Con in July of 2011. With all of the people, chaos, events, goings on, etc, I would call it a true test of a hotel's nature, customer service, and accommodations...to which Hyatt and its staff performed brilliantly! Everyone was so nice! Things were relatively clean and quiet; the only noise resulted from the nearby trains and airport (and that is great considering the thousands and thousands in town for CC). The front desk staff were fabulous and the room service food was fantastic! The lobby was gorgeous as was the view from our room. Only a few things of note - the employees in the gift shop were a bit rude and they could use a better variety of supplies. Oh, and the people in the little shops behind the hotel were unfriendly and the food quality was rather poor. Save up your money and order pizza and the brownie sundae via room service! It is within walking distance of the Convention Center, but a longer walk than they estimate. It is also farther from the Gaslamp Quarter than they say, but still walkable. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side closer to the Convention Center to avoid the noise from the planes and trains.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I spent a week at this hotel on a business trip. It was a beautiful spot with lots of great people both working there and at the conference. During our nights off from meetings we had the very sweet seaport village to stroll along. Definitely would live to go back again very soon!

• Stayed: July 2011
KSpitz, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear earwen077,
Thank you for the nice review! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. A stroll along the bay through Seaport Village is the BEST way to end a day. Hope to see you back soon!

Warm Regards,