“Lots of deferred maintenance in room”

Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
Ranked #166 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
West Point, CA
“Lots of deferred maintenance in room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I was unpleasantly surprised at the quality of my room after looking at the absolutely beautiful grounds. Only two outlets in the room were not broken, I had to move the desk out to plug my laptop directly into the wall since the outlet on the light was also broken. The little red light on my bedroom nightstand flickered, and most annoying of all, a standard room does not come with a mini-frig. The front door stuck and made an enormous noise when opened and closed. Come to find out, later in the night, my neighboring room had the same problem. The blanket on the bed was a waffle-weave, which was uncomfortable through the sheets, and the pillows were low quality. I ordered room service for dinner and the dinner menu in the room was no longer current. When the food came, it was only of average quality. Part of the garnish was missing from my fish, and the mashed potatoes were fair at best. The cost, on the other hand, was higher than I'm used to paying. To top it all off, the coffee machine comes with low quality packs of creamer rather than real half-and-half. This hotel needs to invest in some maintenance on the rooms. I will not be staying here again due to the deferred maintenance issues.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank D H
Daniel M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear D H,

Thank you for your review. First and foremost please accept my apologies for any inconvenience and uneasiness you experienced during your stay. Our #1 goal is always guest satisfaction first and it disturbs me that your experience was otherwise. I hope that you reconsider staying with us during a future visit to San Diego so that we can provide you with the style of complete service we wish you had received in the first place.

If you would like make reservations, contact me directly at (619) 297-1101 ext 3108 and your arrangements will be handled personally. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance or if you have any further questions.

Daniel Miranda
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is a standard large hotel according to "formula A", with some added niceties. It does have a nice heated pool. The Islands restaurant is surprisingly good (at least the drinks, chicken wings, nachos and sliders we had for dinner). The palm trees and other greenery is nice. The breakfast however was quite bad, and the rooms are dated. The location is fairly horrible right next to the freeway, but one knows that when booking. We stayed here for Comic-Con 2012 because we could not get a more central hotel - something I would otherwise be prepared to pay a lot more for.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank stefanerics
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Needed to stay in San Diego. Went to the Crowne Plaza on a recomendation of a friend. The hotel is in a great spot with good access to anything around San Diego. The pool was great. We soaked up the sun in the nice warm pool. I love the waterfalls and little ponds scattered about the grounds.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gabe k
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

This is by far the worst Crown Plaza that I have ever seen. I thought that Crowne Plaza was a luxury Hotel. This definitely wasn't. It is more like a motel. The maintenance outside was not up to par, my room was really dated, old furniture, and it smelled like stale smoke and mold. Maybe I got the worst room in the hotel but it was bad. I travel quite a bit for work and have stayed in a lot of hotels. This one was the worst I have stayed in in years.

Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Mark V
Dear Mark V,

Thank you for your feedback. Please allow me to apologize for any deficiencies in your guest room. Having a room that is properly cleaned and facilities that are working are standard expectations of our guests. I am sorry your experience has been otherwise. I have shared your comments with the Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering, to ensure future guests do not experience the same difficulties you encountered. Your comments are very helpful to us and I appreciate you taking the time to write them down.

I hope that you reconsider staying with us during a future visit to San Diego so that we can provide you with the accommodations we wish you had received in the first place. Please contact me directly at (619) 297-1101 ext 3108 and your arrangements will be handled personally.

Daniel Miranda

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Check-in was speedy and the gentleman who checked us in was charming, genial and very professional. The room was larger and brighter than virtually any other CA hotel we have stayed in. It was also spotlessly clean. We were there 6 days for our daughter to go to day camp at Sea World, so the fridge and microwave were enormously helpful for putting together her breakfast & lunch. Our room/balcony overlooked pool which was lovely. Bathroom facilities worked as you would expect, ie: no backed up toilet or drains and plenty of hot water. Double sinks were great time-savers for us, too. My child enjoyed using the pool very much and it was, in fact, even enjoyable to sit on the deck watching her. Tons of pool towels available and plenty of staff to pick up after slobs so the pool area was always clean and inviting.
That was the good, which was very good. Now the bad, which is not that bad and would not prevent us from returning: as others say, the parking price of $12 a day is steep. I'm not saying it should be free because it is a lot of land and I know land is grossly expensive in CA, but $12 bucks a day is high in my opinion. There were two nights that our upstairs neighbors kept us awake. One night it was children running back and forth, but it did stop around 11 pm. The other night we awoke to the sound of chairs being dragged around and it seemed the teens upstairs were dragging the patio chairs around on the concrete balcony. It went on til about 2 am, over and over and loud. The rest of our stay was completely quiet in spite of the many,many children we saw in and around the property. Next was the restaurant food..yuck. We ate the breakfast buffet...once. We travel a LOT and have had a better breakfast for free at less expensive hotels. Yes there are a lot of choices, but none of them actually taste good (even the cut fruit) & mind that the price is over $30 for two people! On top of that, you can't sit down yourself, you cannot get your own coffee or juice or toast...so add a fat tip, as well.
Very disappointed in quality of food for that kind of money, but live & learn, we ate elsewhere the rest of the time. Another small issue is elevator...at least the one inside the Aloha entrance in the back...very cute glass elevator that quickly loses it's charm because it is too small and decidedly not enough. There is a service elevator around the corner that I saw guests using, but we did not because we could see that the guests who did use it were in the way of the employees. The employees smiled and didn't say anything, but if they weren't annoyed, they should've been. We spent too much time waiting for an elevator or waiting for one that wasn't full. All that said, none of the down-side things were deal breakers; we would go back in a heartbeat. The things that mattered all get a big thumbs up. :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family