“NIce Hotel, Good Location, Excellent Staff”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla
Ranked #49 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 August 2017

This is a typical Embassy Suites, with the rooms around the atrium and plants and a Koi pond in the lobby/breakfast area. It is a bit taller than many, with 12 floors, which is nice if you happen to get one of the higher floors to keep some of the atrium noise out. That being said, the rooms themselves were extremely quiet...we heard nothing from either neighbor and very little from the atrium except during exceptionally busy times (breakfast and during the evening reception).

The rooms have been recently renovated...new furniture and carpet. The only thing they didn't completely renovate was the bathroom, so it looked a bit dated. But it was clean and functional, which is all we cared about.

The evening reception was probably one of the best, if not the best, we've ever seen at an Embassy Suites. It's not that the food was great...it was basically veggies and chips and a different type of dip each night. But the adult beverages were served from the restaurant bar, so you didn't have to wait in line in the same area as the kids who were able to get their sodas from self serve machines. Given that the hotel was pretty overrun with kids (expected during summer), it was nice to go to the bar, get a drink quickly, and then sit there in the quieter area with mostly adults (there was an outdoor area behind the bar/restaurant that was excellent for adult conversation). But for those with kids, there was plenty of seating out in the atrium and lots of kids were out there enjoying the Koi pond.

What made the evening reception so great for us though was the staff. In particular, Matt, Andrew and Eric were just exceptional. They even came out to the outdoor seating area to ask if we wanted anything else...we didn't have to go in and wait in line for a drink! And this was not a one time deal...they were constantly out there looking after the guests. They were so good that we stayed and ordered dinner there two nights at the bar, and chatted with them. Super friendly guys, and so helpful and service oriented.

Also very good was the breakfast. Yes, it could get crowded, but they allowed people to sit in the restaurant area (which was closed at the time) if they wanted a quiet space. The made to order omelettes were great, and they had a really good selection of breads and fruit. If you didn't want an omelette but wanted eggs or meat or potatoes, they had a buffet line set up where you could get those things without having to wait in the omelette line.

The pool was indoors, but the hot tub was outside of the pool area in a nice sitting area for sunbathing. The gym was off the pool area and was small but adequate

The only reason I gave the hotel 4 stars instead of 5 is because of an issue we've had on the last two visits there. When we checked out, we were given our bill and all charges checked out. However, when the charges cleared our credit card, there was the "correct" charge, and then there was an additional charge of $10.15. The last time that happened, we called and were told it was for "water in the room." They do have two bottles of water in the rooms that they charge for if you use them; however, we are Diamond members and get free water so would never bother to use water we have to buy. They told us the last time that they would credit us the water charge, but they never did. Lo and behold, there it was again this trip. I do not know if the housekeepers are claiming people drink the water and then drink it themselves, or if this hotel just has a policy of charging people for water whether they use it or not, but either way, it is ridiculous that we have to make phone calls to get a 10 dollar charge that should never have been there taken off our credit card. This time, we just filed a dispute with AmEx and they immediately credited us (I'm sure they just ate the charge themselves, but honestly, they shouldn't have to do that).

Would we stay there again? Absolutely. But we would do two things differently. First, upon check out, we would tell them specifically that we did not use the water, or anything else that wasn't on the bill they gave us then and there, and that we wanted a note put on our file that we expect no further surprise charges to our card. And secondly, we would either not have a car with us and would take Uber or public transportation, or we would find somewhere else to park. The parking garage was painfully tight, and at $29 a night for parking, it would be worth it to us for a little inconvenience to find a better place to park (not sure that there is one nearby though...the mall is across the street but I'm sure they monitor it for overnight parking).

Room Tip: Higher floors don't get as much noise from the atrium.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Went here for a business trip but brought my cousin along from overseas. The staff was amazing. From the easy check-in process w/ Genesis, to Iniego helping us with our luggage and giving us water, Aida taking care of us during breakfast, Giselle notifying me that I forgot my phone at valet, Aaliyah ensuring a fast no hassle check-out....the complete solution. Best staff of any Embassy Suites I have stayed at. Will definitely stay here again and recommend to business associates, family, and friends!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2017

This is a typical big city Embassy Suites. It is older, but has been recently updated and looks very nice. The location is great, right across the street from a mall and there is a PF Chang's in front of the hotel. I stayed here for 7 nights using reward points, so I can't speak to the value, but I did look at the pricing and in my opinion, it is a bit overpriced during high season. It isn't ridiculous, but high for a mid-range hotel.

The property is very clean inside and out. I never saw any trash anywhere, the carpets were clean and it smelled fresh. The same applies to the room where everything was spotless. There were no stains on the carpet or furniture and the bathroom was clean. While recently updated, the bathroom still has the original beige tub and stone floors that just can't be cleaned anymore. It looks a bit dingy, but it is in fact clean. Housekeeping was a bit inconsistent. Some days I wouldn't get a new supply of tea, another the overflowing trash wasn't emptied, one day they took the dirty towels and didn't replace them, etc. And, some days it was perfect.

The suites are large as at most Embassy Suites with this design. The amenities are nice, everything worked in the room, and the TV had lots of HD channels. The TV is very slow to respond, which was an annoyance. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens and huge pillows. I never heard anything through the walls. I could hear kids screaming from the atrium through the door, but I couldn't hear it in the bedroom at all. The standard wi-fi was plenty fast for what I wanted to do.

All of the staff I interacted with were friendly and helpful, especially Shara from room service. There was a bit of a hassle when I added extra nights to my reward stay. I had to make a separate reservation and then wait until that morning to get new keys. I know it is possible to add days to existing keys (I worked at a DoubleTree), but that seemed impossible here. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was a bit of a drag.

The reasons I knocked one star off my review were relatively minor and would not stop me from staying here again. They were, however, an annoyance. The parking structure is way too narrow in some places. I saw two incidents where someone banged into another car while trying to turn around. My advice is to continue all the way to the top deck where there is plenty of room to maneuver. Drop your bags at the entrance before parking because there is no elevator in the structure and it is not attached to the hotel. There is no valet parking. The charge is $28 per day, which is typical in this area.

I never made it to breakfast mostly because it ends at 9 am on weekdays and that's too early for me. On the weekend when it runs later, it was overrun with screaming children and there were no tables available. I'm sure the food is typical of Embassy Suites and perfectly fine, but there isn't nearly enough seating for such a large hotel. I ordered room service a few times for dinner and the food was very good, delivered promptly and a reasonable price (for a hotel). However, a friend and I walked out of the restaurant one night because no one waited on us. So, stick to room service for food at the hotel.

My biggest peeve with hotels these days is when they use a motion sensor to activate the A/C. In this case, the sensor is located in the living room part of the room, so every few hours during the night the A/C would turn off and it would get hot in the bedroom. It got so warm that it woke me up and I would have to walk to the other room to reactivate it. There might be a sensor on the thermostat in the bedroom, but it is behind the door and wouldn't work anyway. The windows don't open, so you are reliant on air conditioning and it should stay on all night.

In spite of the shortcomings, I would definitely stay here under similar circumstances. It is close to local attractions and both Scripps and UCSD Hospitals. I moved to another nearby luxury hotel for one night and it wasn't nearly as pleasant as the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank davegidd
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for nine nights during our family vacation. The pictures online do not do it justice. Beautiful hotel centrally located to Sea World, Lego Land, San Diego Zoo and the Safari park. The staff was extremely friendly, happy hour was fantastic, and the place was beyond clean. A nice outdoor mall was located directly across the street within a short walking distance that had plenty of shopping and restaurants to eat at. I highly recommended this hotel to anyone looking to visit San Diego. The only downfall is they do charge a parking fee of $20 a night.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2017

I was on a week long Business trip. The duration was one full week. Sunday through Friday. I experienced consistent - excellent breakfast and lunch/dining experience each day. I travel a great deal for my job every year. Approximately 4 months out of the year. I will always seek out Embassy Suites Hotels for business and my personal family travel and vacations. The complimentary breakfast is almost a must when traveling with kids.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business