“Typical Embassy Suites experience with good and bad issues”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla
Ranked #50 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 May 2016

First, the good: this place is very nice looking. The atrium area is beautiful and the setting in So Cal is of course very nice. They offered a free breakfast that is quite decent and the happy hour is pretty good too. The staff is friendly and tries hard to please. The rooms have everything you would need for a business traveler like me and of course, they are suites, with the separate living area that makes you feel like you're at home. Each room has a TV in the bedroom and the living area too, so all in all, they've set up this place very nicely.

Now the bad:

My room key did not work to get in and out of the garage for the first day. I had to ask twice to get that fixed. They had their "reasons" for this, but it was annoying.

My shower didn't work on the first day. It's a good thing I like to take a shower when I arrive after a long flight, because the shower didn't work. I called and they sent a maintenance man up and he knew what to do immediately. In fact, it looks like he does this all the time. He had his "reasons" for this too, but if these shower heads get stuck like this often, the housekeeping should check it before the leave so the next person won't find this trouble on day 1.

The cable on the TV was SLOOOOOOOW to change channels. Channel surfing was a pain. I hated watching TV in the room because I like to channel surf, which you really couldn't do here. The cable also went out completely on my 2nd day. They had their "reasons", but I was without for awhile until they fixed it.

The breakfast to order guys were kind of like the Keystone Kops. There were 3 of them all asking everyone the same questions over and over again about what they ordered and they seemed to mix up everyone's order nearly every time I visited there. I got what I wanted in the end, but it was a disorganized mess.

Once I got past all these things, I was OK with my stay there. I will confess that I don't really like these large atrium "suite" setups like the Embassy Suites at all because the noise from the center of the building echoes up into your room. This morning I heard them moving tables around at 5:00 AM. I realize they have to get things ready and that they can't help it that the building is set up the way it is, but it's annoying.

All in all a decent stay, but I would opt for a smaller more intimate place next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
SANLJ, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2016

Dear Burt V,

Firstly thank you for giving us some valuable information to continue our plight for perfection and making a really great hotel a little better everyday and you are allowing us that luxury.

Thank you and the entire team has been furnished your review and we are and will continue to improve in all areas, from key mapping for the parking garage, to our suite keeping department ensuring all aspects of the suite are ready and operational, to our breakfast team getting it right,

Again without you we cannot get to excellence and I thank you for the opportunity.

Hoping very much we will get some of the hiccups corrected and welcome you back soon.

Tim

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 May 2016

Very conveniently located - there is a shopping center nearby, a PF Chang's and also an Avis counter located inside. Nice bar with an outdoor seating place. Good selection for a hot breakfast. Room is large but looks a little dated. Room cleanliness can be improved. Gym is basic but practical, heated pool is nice. Maybe a renovation will help to spruce it up to 5-stars, will consider to return.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business

Dear TeddyJeannie,

Lovely to hear that your recent stay was filled with convenience and overall great value. We continue to make fabulous enhancements most recently the public space (atrium), guest elevators, exterior of the building and roof, interior landscape, and this coming October guest suites.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2016

Great location and amenities for what we needed after a stay in San Diego and playing golf at Torrey Pines. The room was clean, large, and very well lit. If you are so inclined, there were 2 very large screen TVs. Breakfast was better than the average included breakfast. If in the area I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo

Dear Deb W,

Excellent to hear that your accommodations were perfectly presented and spacious, the TV's are rather nice being newly installed 49 inch LCD HD.

Looking forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back. I hope and trust Torrey Pines golf course was a fabulous experience and set the new course record.

Reviewed 18 May 2016

This hotel was conviently locted to visit Old Town, the Waterfront and LaJolla. It met our expectations of the quality expected from an Embassy Suites. The Concierge was very helpful in getting us reservations not only for day trips but for top restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: top floors are best
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
SANLJ, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego - La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2016

Dear wb14cb,

Brilliant that our location was perfect for your recent stay and that our team jumped in and helped make your visit just that much easier and exciting.

Cheers and looking forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 14 May 2016 via mobile

My family and I were down visiting the San Diego area for Mother's Day weekend. We ended up staying at the Embassy suites La Jolla for the whole weekend. We ended up checking in late Friday evening which was no problem. The concierge was friendly and a little helpful. On arrival to our room we noticed our room was right in front of the elevators which isn't too bad, Preference wise for my family that is. We also noticed the complimentary snacks in the vending machine right in front of our room. My only recommendation is if you're going to advertise for an extra fee you get an upgrade, that the room be more distinctive of the word upgrade. In the advertisement before we book the room it's stated there was a conference table in the room as well as a higher level we would be booked on. We did receive the higher level however, we received a regular standard room. We did take part in the breakfast, as always Embassy suites comes through on the cooked to order deal. The Koi pond is a great attraction if you ever get a chance to view it. One of the evenings I did get a chance to go to the bar to order some food, The service I must say was really great. The bartenders customer service was amazing. We even had an opportunity to try the food and it was really good as well. My only complaint with this place is the parking situation. If you park in the garage, please be aware of the tight curves and tight parking spaces. This is really not a place for larger SUVs. Maybe at the time when they built this place they did not consider larger vehicles. Not only that there was no elevator for the garage. That could be an inconvenience if you are carrying your luggage from the third floor of the garage. Would I stay here again? I Sure would, it was a great time and the service was good.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank ReshaRee

Dear ReshaRee,

Fabulous to hear that your recent stay was great and delivered a four star experience, with your valuable commentary we will be afforded the opportunity to add the additional star next time around, thank you.

Delighted to hear that the team truly made the difference and please be assured that we are investigating our upgrade verbiage.

Cheers and looking forward to seeing you again soon.