“Outstanding service”

Ranked #22 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Alberta
“Outstanding service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Wow what a nice place to stay before the cruise. The drivers were outstanding. Pointed out the local attractions. Very well done on customer service. We would for sure stay here again.

2 Thank cruiseshipnut
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Venice, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We booked this after much procastinating about which hotel to stay at for a short get away with little advance preparation.
The location of the hotel is great. Being it is on Shelter Island it is a nice relaxed atmosphere with lots of walking available and water all around. The free parking and internet was what decided in our booking here. There are some good places to eat within easy, less than a mile, walking distance. The breakfast offered onsite at the Blue Wave was very reasonably priced and the food was good. It is an easy drive to get to the downtown area and there is a free shuttle for the airport. The pool and pool area is very small and the pool is not heated. Capacity for the pool was stated at 60 but it would have to be SRO. Not a lot of room for loungers either.
There is an old section and a new section of the hotel. The old section has been remodeled but the walls are thin. I am hard of hearing, Viet Nam, and I could hear the people in the next two rooms urinating...UGH! Each time the shower was used, the toilet was flushed, etc, we could hear it. Not what we were really looking forward to for a short get away. The room we were given was small, just about three feet longer than a standard cruise ship cabin and even though painted a light color was dark and dreary. The bathroom was nice with a nice shower, even though there was no light in the shower itself, there was one right outside the shower door. The hosekeeping staff were very good and the room was kept very clean. There was free internet, bring your own cable. The room had a large flat screen TV, a microwave and a small refrigerator. The box spring on our bed made so much noise, creaking and groaning from just sitting down, rolling over that my wife went to a CVS and bought ear plugs. We mentioned this to the front desk, thinking that maybe the frame was busted, but nothing was done. Later we talked to Chris at the front desk and he offered to move us to another room but when we tried the other room in the old section of the hotel it was just as bad so we stayed where we were. we did look at one of the rooms in the new section of the hotel and they were nicer but we forgot to check out the beds. Thank you Chris for trying to make our stay better.
There are certain rooms to avoid at all costs:111,117,122,144,157,168 our room,169, and 170. These are not good ones to stay in as there is no view and they are dark. There are Four rooms that are right across from the loading dock for the hotel and restuarant, plus along the walk way for the boat owners at the marina. This means lots of noise and foot traffic at all hours but especially very early in the morning. They are rooms: 134,135,136 and137.
Overall it is a nice place but we will stay somewhere else next time we drive into San Diego.

Room Tip: I have done this with room numbers to avoid in the review.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RickHLihue
wjorman, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. We have many room and suite options throughout the hotel and I wish our staff would have found a room that met your needs. We have 2 swimming pools and spas, both heated to 82 degrees and fortunately, we don’t have a problem with overcrowding but they certainly are the place to be when the weather is nice. Our guests can also enjoy the free wireless internet access at the pools and everywhere throughout the property.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our hotel and feedback such as yours helps us to focus on areas that need attention. We appreciate the time you’ve taken and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity to serve you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This hotel was everything I wanted it to be! First thing to know is there are actually 3 different buildings with different features on this property so call ahead to get a better feel of which building would suit your preferences. We stayed in the Casa del mar which is in the middle and has views of the marina or the bay. I had coffee on my own patio each morning facing the marina. Perfect. Everything was pleasant: the spacious room, the view, the patio, the pools, the free bike rentals, the service, and the price! The ONLY thing I can think of as a drawback for this hotel is having wheels- its not far from downtown/airport but I could see not having a car as a hardship from this location. So get a rental car already and drive to this awesome hotel!

1 Thank Jennykat3
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I'm very glad I booked the Island Palms for my week in San Diego. The staff was extremely helpful, very comfortable bed with an incredible view of the sailboats in the marina. At night we enjoyed the swimming pool and jacuzzi overlooking the harbor with a lit fireplace and 80s music. Parking was free and plentiful. The tennis courts under the parking structure were always available. Free wifi. Heavy classy wood blinds opened up to a patio with a spectacular view of the yachts day and night. They even picked up my wife from the airport when her flight was 3 hours delayed and my young child was asleep. It's a short drive, but not an airport hotel with boring atmosphere. Water pressure in bath very strong. Rooms had microwaves and refrigerators hidden under the large screen TVs. Excellent value for the money.

1 Thank AthensBoy
Woodside, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have to say this is the best hotel I've ever stayed at. This was my first trip to San Diego, and what a great introduction to this beautiful city. The waterfall at the entrance is very relaxing, and the hotel staff are true examples of what customer service should be. When I opened the door to the room (at the newer Casa Marina) the first words from my son's mouth was "Wow, how much did you pay for this?" He's 18, we've stayed at other hotels (including the "luxury" Millennium Biltmore in LA) that have cost more and this is the best room I've ever had. It had a nice patio, thought there's no view because a high fence with shrubbery covers the view of the marina. Next time (and yes, I will stay there whenever I go to San Diego, there's no need to look elsewhere) I hope to get a room with a balcony to enjoy the beautiful view. Right across from the hotel is the bay, and a nice long area to walk, jog or just enjoy the weather. At checkout there was a glitch with the charge to my card (I use a debit card) and I spoke with Sean (the manager) and he immediately cleared up the problem with my bank. This hotel really is first rate, the accomodations are excellent (there is construction going on and they did have a sign posted about this, but it didn't affect us at all), there is plenty of parking, and the pool and hot tub look fantastic (and I plan to use them next time I go). The Internet connection was excellent, and they even have an Ethernet port (which I didn't use but it's nice that it's there). I was very surprised, actually, at all the connections they had built in; you can bring and hdmi or component cable and connect an external device to the TV. There are also plenty of electric sockets, very useful nowadays. The beds in Casa Marina are adjustable in their firmness/softness, though I didn't notice any difference no matter what number I set it to, they were all around quite comfortable with plenty of pillows. The bathroom was also very nice and big with pleny of storage and more towels than you can ever need. The blow dryer is a very good one with a retractable cord that is NOT attached to the wall so you can use it anywhere in the room. There is also a small safe in the room, but I didn't need to use it so I can't comment on how it works. Great place to say!

Room Tip: Casa Marina is the newer building with great rooms, but try and get a higher floor (there is an elev...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank erikaalexa
wjorman, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you for such a thorough review. It really sounds like you had a good time and that the Island Palms met your expectations. It’s always nice to hear such great comments and I will certainly share your feedback with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon.