“Nice stay, good location in San Diego”

Best Western Seven Seas
Ranked #143 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Perth, Australia
“Nice stay, good location in San Diego”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed three nights at the Seven Seas whilst visiting San Diego. I booked on Hotwire and got a great price. Check in was easy and quick and we went to our room to find two very small double beds (they were probably king singles). It would have been nice for the front desk staff to ask if I preceded two beds or one. My partner and I felt as though we were on school camp. Nonetheless the room was very clean and had been recently upgraded. There was a good selection of tv channels too. I needed to send a fax and was charged $6 for a 5 page fax, that the receiver only got one and a half pages of. I thought that was very steep, but just paid it because I needed to send it. At 8:10am on our second morning we awoke to the maid opening our door, it was very annoying. We put up the do not disturb sign on our last night but we were still disturbed by the maid knocking on and opening everyone
else's doors. The stay was ok, I probably would stay again because the location is very good. Just put up your do not disturb sign if you want to sleep in past 8am!

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank alanadi25
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Northern California
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed here for one night in January while attending a confrence. I must say I was really impressed with the level of service the property offered from the moment I step foot on the airport shuttle. The driver was very nice, as were the folks at the check-in desk.

The room itself had recently been renovated, and was comfortable, complete with newer bedding, and fixtures within.

We were on a bottom-level room, and did hear some noise from the people above, but it wasn't anything that I found to be annyoing.

They offer wi-fi (free) in the rooms, and there is one computer in the lobby for printing boarding passes. They also will let you check your luggage there if your room isn't ready yet so you can go out and explore the San Diego area.

The grounds are simply beautiful, there's really no other way to describe them. Lots of trees and grass about, and a really nice looking pool & spa area (didn't use either of them).

Lastly, the food in the restaurant was a bit pricey, but of good quality, especially since there doesn't seem to be much else other than hotels in this area. They do have a little bar there too.

If my travels take me into San Diego again for either business of pleasure, I wouldn't hesitate in booking this place again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the '300' building. That was where my room was (327), and you're pret...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank brinaim
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Spent seven days in January and had a excellent stay. The staff was courteous and helpful plus the room was clean exactly as I liked. The exercise center could probably use a little more equipment but it was ok. Didn't use the pool although it was clean because the weather was a little cool and rainy. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I know star systems are not exact science however to lable this motel anything but a 2 star, 2 1/2 max, is criminal. I booked this hotel as a 3 star hotel on Hotwire. Upon my arrival and viewing that it was a motor lodge style motel I was hoping for the best. Check in went smoothly, unfortunately that is where the smooth roaded ended and I ended up on a pot hole filled journey the rest of the way.

Driving to the back wing of this motel right next to garbage dumpsters with trash bags overflowing them was the location of my room. 5 minutes after arriving to the room with my family (wife, 9 year old, 9 month old) I recieved a knock on our door with someone saying I was in his room. I called down to the front desk to let them know someone was claiming this was there room and that I am not opening the door. He said that they already told the guy to come back to the front desk and that he assigned him the wrong room. After that debacle was over I had a moment to look over this beaten up room that was claimed to have been renovated. Hey Seven Seas- putting a flat screen in a room and new white sheets does not equal renovation. The first thing I noticed was exposed wire hanging out of a hole in the mirror wall. Yep this renovated room had a fulll wall made of a mirror like in the 70's. There was a cut out and a mirror plate that was supposed to cover it, but alas the mirror plate dangled by one bolt exposing the wires. I sat down on the bed , and thats when I really knew I was in trouble. The mattress litterally sank to about an inch above the box spring. The softest bed I have ever encountered. Ever. Not lumpy, just like a huge pillow. This is not a good thing and for those that are wondering I weigh 170 lbs. I next reached for the remote, it does not work. I call the front desk which rang for litterally 1 minute. I disconnected and tried agian a few minutes later and informed them of the TV not working. They sent a maintenance man to room who showed me the "trick" that he claimed the FD should have known which is to turn the TV on mannually and then you can use the remote. I love tricks. I pointed out the exposed wire and told him he could fix it in the morning since it was about 10PM and I needed to get my young family to bed.

Woke up the next morning after the worst night of sleep in my lfe and hoped in the shower. Cla CLANK- Thats the sound of the loose towel rack falling down. OK.....I just put it back up and hand tightended the screw back on. Midway through my 5 minute shower the hot water abruptly halted sending streams of ice cold water on me. Classier by the minute. Water pressure was also an issue. I called Hotwire at this point and told them this hotel is not acceptable as a 3 star. Expedia (parent company) lists them a two and half. Nothing they can do apparantly and direct me to the FD. They also do a call for me to the fd. I call down and explanin that I need a new mattress in the room as this one is garbage. she says she will take care of it. Also explain that challenges I have had. They offer to move me. We had plans to go to Sea World this day so I was not wasting another minute of our trip on this non sense at that time. When we return to the hotel after our day out. I am given a key to a new room. We head over to check it out. Same exact room set up with same issues as the first sans the exposed wire. At this point I just gave up, the hassel of moving was just to great considering that this run down product is standard here. I asked them to send some one to my old room to fix the exposed wire issue and I would deal with this for the last night of my stay.

Maybe my experience was the Hotwire experience, but how this motel generates positive reviews is baffling. Perhaps if I had bought this motel knowing it was a two star I could forgive its short comings. Rates are cheap and so is the motel. Dont expect a three star on arrival. Though the hotel did not care enough about my terrible experience, I have to give props to BW corporate who took my concerns very seriously and made amends to keep me from staying away from their brand all together.

Room Tip: They dont have good rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Nightro

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I thought this place was a pleasant surprise. Although I didn't have time to take advantage of any of these nice facilities, the pool looked large, clean and inviting, and there was a hot tub. Nice cafe/restaurant on the premises, and very helpful staff and airport shuttle service (doesn't begin till 6 am though, and ends at 10 pm.) My bed was extremely comfortable with plenty of nice big pillows, and the wifi worked well. Good water pressure, mini fridge in room but no microwave. A very quiet and restful and comfortable place to spend a night or two--I'd definitely come back here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo