“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Spent seven days in January and had a excellent stay. The staff was courteous and helpful plus the room was clean exactly as I liked. The exercise center could probably use a little more equipment but it was ok. Didn't use the pool although it was clean because the weather was a little cool and rainy. All in all a great place to stay.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I know star systems are not exact science however to lable this motel anything but a 2 star, 2 1/2 max, is criminal. I booked this hotel as a 3 star hotel on Hotwire. Upon my arrival and viewing that it was a motor lodge style motel I was hoping for the best. Check in went smoothly, unfortunately that is where the smooth roaded ended and I ended up on a pot hole filled journey the rest of the way.

Driving to the back wing of this motel right next to garbage dumpsters with trash bags overflowing them was the location of my room. 5 minutes after arriving to the room with my family (wife, 9 year old, 9 month old) I recieved a knock on our door with someone saying I was in his room. I called down to the front desk to let them know someone was claiming this was there room and that I am not opening the door. He said that they already told the guy to come back to the front desk and that he assigned him the wrong room. After that debacle was over I had a moment to look over this beaten up room that was claimed to have been renovated. Hey Seven Seas- putting a flat screen in a room and new white sheets does not equal renovation. The first thing I noticed was exposed wire hanging out of a hole in the mirror wall. Yep this renovated room had a fulll wall made of a mirror like in the 70's. There was a cut out and a mirror plate that was supposed to cover it, but alas the mirror plate dangled by one bolt exposing the wires. I sat down on the bed , and thats when I really knew I was in trouble. The mattress litterally sank to about an inch above the box spring. The softest bed I have ever encountered. Ever. Not lumpy, just like a huge pillow. This is not a good thing and for those that are wondering I weigh 170 lbs. I next reached for the remote, it does not work. I call the front desk which rang for litterally 1 minute. I disconnected and tried agian a few minutes later and informed them of the TV not working. They sent a maintenance man to room who showed me the "trick" that he claimed the FD should have known which is to turn the TV on mannually and then you can use the remote. I love tricks. I pointed out the exposed wire and told him he could fix it in the morning since it was about 10PM and I needed to get my young family to bed.

Woke up the next morning after the worst night of sleep in my lfe and hoped in the shower. Cla CLANK- Thats the sound of the loose towel rack falling down. OK.....I just put it back up and hand tightended the screw back on. Midway through my 5 minute shower the hot water abruptly halted sending streams of ice cold water on me. Classier by the minute. Water pressure was also an issue. I called Hotwire at this point and told them this hotel is not acceptable as a 3 star. Expedia (parent company) lists them a two and half. Nothing they can do apparantly and direct me to the FD. They also do a call for me to the fd. I call down and explanin that I need a new mattress in the room as this one is garbage. she says she will take care of it. Also explain that challenges I have had. They offer to move me. We had plans to go to Sea World this day so I was not wasting another minute of our trip on this non sense at that time. When we return to the hotel after our day out. I am given a key to a new room. We head over to check it out. Same exact room set up with same issues as the first sans the exposed wire. At this point I just gave up, the hassel of moving was just to great considering that this run down product is standard here. I asked them to send some one to my old room to fix the exposed wire issue and I would deal with this for the last night of my stay.

Maybe my experience was the Hotwire experience, but how this motel generates positive reviews is baffling. Perhaps if I had bought this motel knowing it was a two star I could forgive its short comings. Rates are cheap and so is the motel. Dont expect a three star on arrival. Though the hotel did not care enough about my terrible experience, I have to give props to BW corporate who took my concerns very seriously and made amends to keep me from staying away from their brand all together.

Room Tip: They dont have good rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Nightro
Port Washington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I thought this place was a pleasant surprise. Although I didn't have time to take advantage of any of these nice facilities, the pool looked large, clean and inviting, and there was a hot tub. Nice cafe/restaurant on the premises, and very helpful staff and airport shuttle service (doesn't begin till 6 am though, and ends at 10 pm.) My bed was extremely comfortable with plenty of nice big pillows, and the wifi worked well. Good water pressure, mini fridge in room but no microwave. A very quiet and restful and comfortable place to spend a night or two--I'd definitely come back here.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank flyermontana
Tipp City, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This Best Western does not give itself the rating of Premier, but we do. It was very nice. Our bed was comfortable. Our room was neat, clean, and newly decorated. The grounds were nicely landscaped with tropical plants and flowers. We liked the location close to many of the attractions we came to see. The staff was friendly and helpful. We would recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laurelboo
D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I was at this hotel recently for three nights and found the place more than adequate. It was clean, the room had been refurbished not too long ago and the front desk, while not especially friendly, was quick and efficient. Being an older property the grounds had a lot more character with landscaping and flowers than newer hotels in the area. It is very conveniently located almost parallel to interstate 8. I didn't need many "services" for this trip so this "nothing fancy" hotel worked great. The only negatives, for me, is that there wasn't a microwave in the room (I like popcorn) and the TV was old, not the nice flat screen type that you can find in many moderately priced hotels these days. Another concern, even though I did not experience it, is the walls seem a little thin and sound travels easily. Everyone there while I was there was quiet so this was not an issue. I'd definitely stay again, although I'd try to time it when there are not many kids or partying folks around.