“Second visit, thoughts 4 years on.”

Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Retford, Notts
“Second visit, thoughts 4 years on.”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We first visited the Grand Del Mar the year it opened and were very impressed, hence when the opportunity came to visit San Diego again we did not hesitate to book a second stay.
Was it as good as the first time? Almost- the staff and hotel itself were excellent, standards as high as before, all the staff were very courteous and friendly and the rooms were beautifully kept with no expense spared to provide beautiful towels and bed linens daily.
Only a couple of grumpy comments- regarding the adults only, no cellphone rule at the 'quiet' pool-why put families with young children in the rooms opening directly onto the serenity pool area, and why don't other guests take note of the no cellphone rule?? This was really annoying as people could not be bothered to get off their backsides and move away from the pool area to speak on their phone. When I'm trying to relax and read in a quiet area I do not want to hear other peoples' boring conversations!! A few of the pool attendants (mostly young students) were brave enough to ask guests to put the phones away but the majority did nothing about it. The hotel needs to make this rule more obvious, there are signs, but not big enough ones!!

Another tip would be to check your account daily which you can do on the room tv, as we found that on the first day somebody else had charged their breakfast to our room! It was taken off our account but best to do it as soon as it occurs and saves time on checkout. We paid cash as much as possible and ate breakfast at the cafe on the third floor and kept all receipts until the end of our stay in case there were any other occurances.

Finally, as the hotel is spread out over three floors, there can be a very long walk to the room, ours was at a far corner of the hotel which involved a trek to the lobby and pool area. There was probably a short cut by going outside but we never discovered it! Therefore if you find a long walk too much, request a room close to the centre of the hotel.

We spent 13 nights there and it was definitely more enjoyable for us when the 'weekend' crowd disapeared as the pool area was a lot more relaxing (which was the main reason for our stay- trying to pack a year's worth of sun into 2 weeks, important when you live in rainy England), the hotel is much busier than during our last trip but we were also there during the 4th July which is a major deal in the US and we are glad that the hotel is obviously enjoying success.
On balance, still one of my favourite hotels to stay at.

Room Tip: Requst a room close to the centre of the hotel if you don't like walking.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Korean first
Monroe township
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Unfortunately, I only had about 18 hours in the Grand Del Mar. I have travel extensively both domestic and international, and I must say this is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. The exquisite design and attention to detail is magnificent. The property is adorned with imported marble, wood, fabrics, etc that give an incredible feeling to the place. I did not get a chance to try any of the great amenties there as I was attending a business function and stayed just one night. But the food, service and resort was spectacular. I would love to come back and bring my wife here. Awesome!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are actually the first floor (where check in is). To get to "first"...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I'm not a golfer, but stayed at the Grand Del mar this past weekend. The intent was to have a place to "crash" after a romantic multi-course birthday dinner for my dining companion at Addison. Quite the place to crash.

I've traveled around the world and been on many high end cruises and five star hotels. The Grand is definitely one of the very best I've had the privilege to stay at.

We started with a hike / run around the property. The concierge has maps of the trail(s) which ( I believe) connects to the Los Pensaquitos trail system. It's a great 3.5 mile off road run with some hills to get your heart racing. They do horse rides there too so watch out as there are droppings to dodge. The last mile is the main drive (paved) but still a great workout.

The hotel is sprawling, elegant and lush - only a few stories high and service is impeccable. Decor is high end mediterranean - kind of what you would find in a brand new Ritz Carlton. A good way to think of it is kind of a "toned" down (and much, much higher quality) version of the Venetian in Las Vegas.

Pros:
- Room quality was excellent. The property IS a few years old but the room felt BRAND new. It was like we were the first ones ever staying in it. Towels were large and soft and linens crisp and comfortable. My only gripe would be the pillows were too big (overstuffed) but I'm sure had I called I could have gotten a different set. (This is the type of place that you get whatever it is you ask for.) We had a "basic" room and it was absolutely everything you could need. The master bath was the best I've seen in a resort and the closet area well thought out.

- Dining - we ate at the Hotel restaurant Addison which was one of the best dining experiences of my life. Room service was also excellent.

- Resort - We don't golf but loved the fact the resort had it's own hiking trail. The pool(s) looked nice and there is a separate spa pool that is for adults only. There is also horseback riding.

Cons:
- Maybe the crowd - they are how do I put it delicately, conservative and not exactly the most diverse? Not that folks weren't dressed casually or friendly, but they are very much the "country club set". That said, the staff was great and made everyone feel welcome.

- Price. Again I shouldn't really complain - this place is worth the going rate of $500+ night and dining isn't inexpensive either (expect $500+ on dinner for two at Addison.) Hotel bar cocktails around $15-20 each, etc. Again, you get what you pay for. Worth a splurge - and perfect place for a special occasion.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Even the basic room is amazing.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and fell in love with this place. The location, staff, services were amazing. We easily could have never left our room and been content. They're amazingly gorgeous and have incredible amenities. Everyone from the check in girl to concierge, from the guy delivering our breakfast to the valet team were incredible and made you feel comfortable. Our friends ordered us a cheese plate from Texas through the front desk and commented on how nice everyone is. While the scenery is out of this world, the staff is what sets them apart. Thanks Grand del Mar for an amazing honeymoon!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank HanAw62
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Once you get beyond the Italiano heavy interiors--dark, lots of marble and gilding this place is fantastic!! It's like a grand Vegas hotel (think Venetian) without the slots and noise plus amazing service...what a relaxing and lovely trip we had. The service is top-notch, food great, rooms really lovely, gym great (but too dark). My only complaint would be that while the spa is beautiful, my massage was complelely mediocre and the services beyond the norm of expensive. $100 for a Blowdry (base price) Seriously?

Really though, it was just a lovely get away and will go back. Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2012