Lucky D's Hostel
Hotel Indogo(San Diego)
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Andaz San Diego(San Diego)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscommon roombig kitchenfree earplugsfree breakfastgaslamp districtnoisy at nightnight lifethe location is perfectgreat place to staycomic conbalboa parkthe gas lamp districtconvention centerbackpackersnetflixdormsd
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at Lucky D's for 8 days and I had a lot of fun everyday. The staff is really nice, the hostel is clean, the beds are great and it is located in a good spot- you can walk almost everywhere!! They have a nice common room where you can spend some time and meet other people from the hostel. Besides they have a lot of freebies and the entire stay is cheap. I have been to some other hostels before, but this was by far the best!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Lots of character, very clean, very nice staff and a good spot in San Diego. I felt very safe, there were lockers in the room, wasn't too noisy at night (keep in mind though I stayed here in Feb and I think the place was just a little quieter than it might be at other times), common room with huge TV, one in the kitchen as well, free dinner a few nights of the week (who's gonna say no to that!), I'd stay here again. Only quips are the lack of an elevator (had to lug my suitcase up the stairs, but these few minutes shouldn't put you off the rest of your stay) and a creaky bunk bed, but no biggy compared to a great stay.

Room Tip: Right above a bar, so maybe not the second floor if you can help it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Lucky D´s is a great Hostel with the greatest vibe and feeling! The staff is super friendly and proffesional and serviseminded. The hostel has a cool modern feeling and has a great location close to downtown San Diego and to the Harbor and supercosy Seaport Village. They offer activities every night and serve breakfast every day and dinner two times a week. One of the best places I stayed on my travel in California.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed in Lucky D's recently, it was actually the 2nd hostel I stayed in San Diego, and it was BY FAR the best. This place offers so many freebies, it really is value for money. They have a great free breakfast with waffles at the weekends, but the best part were the free dinners they had on various nights during the week, which was so welcome for the traveller on a budget! The kitchen is huge and is an awesome place to meet people, I really love the atmosphere of the place most of all. The staff are such a good laugh, they take you out to different bars, get you drinking in the common room and are really helpful and friendly, which you don't always find in hostels. The location was also pretty good, they are right in the Gaslamp area so you are really close to all the bars and restaurants. I really recommend this place, it is so colourful and cheerful, there's always good music playing in the hallways. Definitely will be returning to Lucky D's!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors are more peaceful.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a pre-organised tour in Jan 2012.

Location-wise, Lucky D's could be easy to miss - there's just a doorway onto the street so keep your eyes peeled. There are steps up to the first floor (second if you're American) so be prepared to carry your bags as I don't think there was a lift (elevator). Up here you'll find the reception area and a small seating area with leaflets and info, as well as a vending machine. The staff was helpful at providing directions and information and friendly too. There were 2 bunk beds in our room (and think it's the same for most floors, with private rooms further up) and we were at the end of the hall, by the computer room (had 2 pcs in it) on the same floor as the reception area - also on this floor was a TV lounge, with DVDs and games and a Nintendo Wii. There were lockers in our room but as we had a room for just our group we didn't use these. The room was an okay size for our stuff, only criticisms were that the window blind didn't close all the way down and the light switch was a pull chain from the light fitting itself in the middle of the room - was a bit annoyin at times! The WiFi didn't quite reach into our room but signal was fine else where in the hostel and of a good speed.

The hostel's brightly decorated and looks pretty cool and the bathrooms and toilets are pretty much what you expect for a hostel - dated by pretty clean. There are 2 separate toilets on each floor, plus 2 shower rooms (one shower in each) on each floor, so these can get busy at peak times - I ended up going up a floor on one morning as both showers were taken on my floor. There was enough hot water and a good amount of space to hang your towel etc in the shower rooms. This next floor up also had a room with 4 sinks in, so this was good for brushing your teeth, getting ready for a night out etc. if the toilets were taken - the second floor (third if you're American) also had the kitchen on, where breakfast was provided (bread for toast, choice of 3 cereals, coffee etc.). There was also plenty of space to keep your own food there if you wanted too. Lucky D's also does free meals on certain nights of the week - we had bean fajitas with salad, sour cream and salsa on the day we arrived which was really tasty and a good way to meet others staying there - seating can go pretty quickly (as can the food!) so get there early. They also organise other events (bar crawls, poker nights etc.) which we didn't go on as we were already a group that knew each other pretty well, but again, a great way to socialise.

The hostel's in a good location to walk into the Gas Lamp Quarter and see the night life - there's a pharmacy about a block away where you can get food, drink and any other essentials. The only downside to the location we found was the music from the bar below - in my room it wasn't great but it wasn't too bad either - I consider myself a light sleeper but because the music was a constant noise and I was tired, I slept okay. In one of the other group's room, the bass shook the floor at times and they didn't sleep well - there were also a lot of sirens that night too but you can't blame Lucky D's for that. The second night we did actually visit that bar below and it seemed as though the music was louder in our rooms than the bar but they might've turned it up after 12! Just something to bear in mind (maybe take ear plugs) and is why I haven't given it an Excellent score.

Overall, it's a great sociable hostel with okay facilities in a good location for exploring San Diego, but the noise from the bar below was a bit of a downside.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor (floor above reception) or a private room (these are even higher) if you want to avoid the music from the bar below.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends