“Homemade tortillas and good food”

Casa De Reyes Restaurant
Ranked #276 of 5,479 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 18
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Description: Casa de Reyes offers awarding winning, world-class Mexican comfort food! Located within Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, you’ll enjoy traditional Mexican dining in a lush garden courtyard. There’s also free live entertainment, strolling mariachis, folklórico dancing, year-round events, and more! Casa de Reyes is located on the site of an adobe home built in 1823, one of the first adobe homes in San Diego. Our restaurant is named in honor of one of the home’s first owners, Doña Maria de los Reyes Ybañez de Dominguez. Doña Maria made her small, humble adobe a comfortable and welcoming home for friends and guests, and so do we.
Reviewed 7 September 2015

Stopped for margaritas and chips and salsa, sat at the bar and Gabriel waited on us, I loved how friendly he everyone work wring were. This place had a lady making old school tortilla's which we took to go, which were very, very good!

Reviewed 2 September 2015

While roaming around Old Town, my husband and I got hungry and stumbled into a back corner to discover an oasis of lovely shops, a stage with entertainers and the Casa De Reyes restaurant.

San Diego is filled with Mexican restaurants, so we've had lots of experience eating tortillas everywhere. So we were surprised to find that all tortillas are not made equal. They had a lady on the side making fresh tortillas and they were hands down the best I've ever tasted. That is what made us decide to stop and eat there.

We have been searching for good margueritas in San Diego and have been continuously dissapointed to the point that we stopped ordering them. But we decided to take a chance ordering them, and were pleasantly surprised. Another surprise was black beans and rice, which I understand is more of a Spanish dish, and they were delicious. The enchilada was good but had a cheese sauce on top. The next time I would order with a red sauce.

We had noticed the stage out front, but no one was performing. We thought that since it was late, we had missed the performance. While eating we heard the music start up and could see the dancers from afar. Music and dancers were great. Next time, I would definitely ask for a seat near the stage so we could have a front row seat.

All and all, a good time was had by all.

Reviewed 1 September 2015

Walk into Fiesta de Reyes in Old Town, San Diego and you walk into the square of a village in Mexico. Little boutiques shops and food places encircle the square which contains a stage for performers and the restaurant. What a great experience. When we were there, Sissie Davis was performing. She handled the audience beautifully, encouraging everyone to dance. We started with a Nachos platter which was excellent. The Sangria and Cadillac Margarita were not so good. The Sangria tasted more like fruit juice and the Margarita was bland. I would say that it is not worth the money. The entrees were acceptable but nothing to write home about. All in all, because of the atmosphere and the attention of the wait staff in native dress, the experience was very good.

Reviewed 31 August 2015

I've been to Old Town several times, but have always passed up this restaurant for others; what a mistake that was. The service was fast and friendly and the food was excellent. You can sit inside or outside; I sat outside. I admit I was expecting a gringo version to Mexican food (like I am used to experiencing in touristy environments in California), but that was not the case at all. I had their Puerco Con Chile Verde Tomatillo and it was delicious. The meat was tender, the sauce was wonderfully-flavored, the rice and beans authentic and the tortillas were soft and yummy. I will definitely come back on my next visit.

Reviewed 30 August 2015

l'm still not sure how we felt about it. The staff worked hard to be nice. The food was good. The portions were generous. Seemed a little expensive for Mexican food. We had no problems, but I always get a little nervous when food is being prepared in large quantities in hot weather and served in an outdoor setting. If you want a total Mexican fiesta atmosphere, it's a good choice. If you want quiet or intimate, go somewhere else.